Home | About | Donate

When Losing Your Soil Means Losing Your Livelihood

When Losing Your Soil Means Losing Your Livelihood

Sophie Erfurth

In Niger, where agriculture is the main source of income, the message is simple: Losing your soil means losing your livelihood. The ability to grow food is inextricably linked to the productive capacity of the soil. In the case of Niger’s soil, the picture is bleak: The soils hold poor structural stability, low nutrient holding capacity, low water retention capacity… the list goes on.

Strongly recommend work by Soil Care Network

This is a link to their Feb newsletter and from this one can get to the home page and other links

Soil Care Network Newsletter February 2019

I recommend just going there to see the areas that they link to.

Here are a couple — from here on are copied links with their titles

The fight for land restitution is underpinned by a conflict between soil as ecology and soil as space; between living relations and extractive relations. We need an ecological approach to land use decisions.

Teheran has introduced a soil conservation bill.

• An amazing art project “By the Code of Soil” tries to bring soil into our lives. It is an online networked digital artwork by Fault Lines artist Kasia Molga and sound artist Scanner. Developed as part of the GROW Observatory, By the Code of Soil turns soil data into digital art that appears on participants’ computers whenever land-mapping satellite Sentinel-1 passes overhead.
  • Commemorating racial injustice through soil – a beautiful piece of participatory soil art.

I have to stop. I could copy all of the links which are great.

3 Likes

Like other creatures, humans are ultimately supported by an ecology, not an economy.

The economy has more to do with how we divvy the loot.

1 Like