Home | About | Donate

When Talking About U.S. Broadband, Don’t Say the ‘I’ Word

When Talking About U.S. Broadband, Don’t Say the ‘I’ Word

Timothy Karr

Want a blazing fast Internet? Well, you can get it if you live in select parts of the United States where ultra-high-speed services are available — and if you’re willing to pay a lot of money.

On Monday, Comcast announced that it will charge $300 a month for Gigabit Pro, its new 2 gigabit symmetrical service (2 Gbps down, 2 Gbps up). At those speeds, Comcast says, you can download a full music album in less than a second.

No common carriers on this fast track

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

last provider You would NEVER want tis hughes.net, a CFR member with brain dead tech support in EENdiAHHH-same reason why Dell from Hell got it's name

"[B]rain dead" is a rather ironic term to be employed in a comment containing a blatantly biased remark about folks from "EENdiAHHH", wouldn't you say?

No, that's the way they talk, EEs DEEs PEEtah, I say No it's Pete, JA

Maybe one day we'll learn that the Hugheses and the Dells flourish in large measure due to pitting us against one another in a race to the bottom, and that rather than engaging in derogatory stereotypes fueled by a sense of superiority, our common self interest, not to mention our moral obligation, lies in a solidarity that stands strong against attempts to divide and conquer.

Maybe one day ...

I can't but tie the pitiful performance to cost ratio in the US to the vast sums of money our legislative and judicial bodies receive from these users and abusers of our public airways. I keep receiving pleas to sign petitions to keep our internet free from the corporations who would use their power to fleece us even further. It has always been a puzzlement to me how scammers in Africa can afford the band width to engage in their cons. Obviously their costs are not the same as ours.

“People can and do live without Internet access, and many lead very successful lives.”

Well, Commissioner O'Rielly, people manage to live without a lot of things in this country, but it isn't necessarily humane. And if you live in the state of Ohio, you are required to interface with state government for self-payment of taxes and many other functional requests through internet access only . . . part of Gov. Kasich's "less government" approach, since he's limited our right to interact personally with government representatives.

So, O'Rielly, how am I supposed to pay my state taxes without internet? A luxury? I think not!

Internet access in the U.S. is mostly shit. Sometimes my WAVE connection is so slow that it reminds me of the 1990s when we had 14.4 modems. Plus, we have frequent falloffs in service.I can't remember how many times I have tried to video stream Netflix and it either stops and goes to "Loadiing" or it drops off altogether with the message "We can't connect with Netflix right now, please try again later."
We just had a WAVE tech out here and he looked at the installation and wiring for two hours and supposedly fixed it. It was back to its usual mediocrity by the next day. And here's the kicker - my landlord took this new more expensive service supposedly as an upgrade from the previous crap!
I was told that in Japan their internet is 50-100 times faster than ours for the same price per megabyte. Our internet providers (not just the a-holes at Verizon and Comcast) are gangsters screwing the people.

All these electronic systems are made of irreplaceable materials, use electricity, naturally age and, in many cases, are unnecessarily replaced by 'better' systems. The poor in many countries try to recycle some of the electronic junk but that will not stop the sup-ply of the critical materials from running out in the future. This is an unsustainable process despite what the marketers claim. How will society cope with the loss of these information services (for communication, banking, business and education as well as for entertainment) in due course. Currently they are being encouraged by governments as well as business people to embrace innovations in this technology as an elixir when it really is a poison with no antidote.