Home | About | Donate

'When Will Someone Go to Jail?': New Report Shows Google Secretly Storing Health Data of Millions of Americans

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/11/11/when-will-someone-go-jail-new-report-shows-google-secretly-storing-health-data

This invasion of privacy is called ,'Project Nightingail ?" A bird that sings-----------

Well, they will be singing out everyone’s medical problems-----wow, find out what problems people have and then-----use them against people who speak out so no one will give them health care? Oh geez, here we go----welcome to the Dystopian States of America.
Wow how much easier to off politicians they don’t like, or rich relatives , or citizens with issues that disagree with what the government wants? How did we get so many weird people working in government?

I was thinking the same thing. Embarrassing.

I’m all about changing the law. Let’s get some non corruptable politicians who are technically savy and let’s get a bunch of rule changes. Mandated interoperability, people owning their data by default, stiff financial penalties for data breeches (and people should lose their jobs in government when they are the cause of the data breech), credit card reform, and on and on.

But it helps to come across as intelligent and credible to be a reformer. Citing stupid tweets isn’t helping CD.

The Journal reported that Nightingale’s scope “pertains to lab results, doctor diagnoses and hospitalization records, among other categories, and amounts to a complete health history, including patient names and dates of birth.”

As usual, it is clear you didn’t pay attention when you read (or didn’t read) the article.

2 Likes

I read the story at The Verge (https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/11/20959771/google-health-records-project-nightingale-privacy-ascension) which says the same thing - that the law could be written that way to not require anonymizing names, social security numbers, and addresses is mind-numbing. Most of our politicians are simply stupid when it comes to technology or are corrupt - I see no excuse for allowing such an arrangement for the good of the people.

As a big proponent of Medicare for All, I hope we can get our act together because big data is obviously a big part of modern medicine and one of the pluses of a true single payer system is getting rid of silo’d networks. I want my new doctor to easily get at all the information my old doctor can see. But I want to be asked first - kind of obvious. I’m embarrassed for my country that we are so far behind Europe when it comes to privacy issues (or universal health care, and a bunch of other things).

2 Likes

Almost?