Home | About | Donate

When Women Speak Out for All

When Women Speak Out for All

Susan Quinn, Joyce Antler, et al.

As scholars of women’s history, we are aware of times in our past when advocates for women’s rights and advocates for black rights competed against one another. But not this time. We need look no further than Elizabeth Warren’s historic silencing on the floor of the Senate last week.

"Trump’s relentless efforts to divide us by race, by religion, by ethnicity, by differences of every kind..." Trump did not create these divisions; they existed long before his ascendancy. He merely exploited them. The man (if he can be considered one) has a radar-like instinct for the underlying emotions of those he confronts and exploits them in his own interest. The Occupy event showed how very divided the American public is. Until the citizens see their commonality for themselves, until they have a clear vision of the goals they can strive for together, and until they can agree on a common strategy to reach those goals, things can only worsen. And they will, for a while, until anger makes people fearless. There will be blood in the streets.

For us, as for many other women, there is a lingering anger simmering beneath our protests — an anger about the manner in which Hillary Clinton was defeated. Even before we learned that the Russians were targeting her campaign, even before James Comey raised that late and false e-mail alarm, we witnessed the misogyny that has always plagued strong women. Her voice, her laugh, her clothes, her earnestness — all were fair game. The fact that she knew what she was talking about should have been reassuring. Instead, it made many Americans uneasy. Now we’re left with the disastrous result: Donald Trump.

By all means, resist and dump Trump, but please leave the sexist interpretation of Clinton's defeat out of it. Suggesting that Clinton lost because she was a woman is the same kind of stupidity I encountered during the campaign that kept telling me that I should vote for Clinton because I, too, am a woman. As a strategy, painting poor Clinton as some heroic victim who lost because she was a woman will only backfire, nor is it supported by the facts. 53% of white women voted for Trump. Clinton lost for a host of reasons, but playing this card won't do much to stop Trump. We can do better than this.

Just one among the uncounted women with clarion building materials, Nomi Prins helps us understand economic dynamics of a Trump Mnuchin cabal with a keeper historical review of the Street and ongoing articles.

This coming Mothers Day we might want to consider celebrating the uncounted women birthing clarity, documentation and building materials for sustainable futures.

The writers' assertion that sexism contributed to HRC's defeat is in no way the same as the assertion that it was every woman's responsibility to vote for HRC, and you quoted enough of a block to show why. That the system did not present us with a workable alternative does not erase the very real sexism that affected her candidacy from the start.

But let's get back to the basic point of the article, the intersectionality of women's resistance to djt's ignorance and GOP repression of women's concerns. Whining about what happened then gets us nowhere. It's time to move forward, and we're doing that together.

I disagree, as there is certainly an element of sexism in both, albeit from different sides. However, you're point about moving on is all to the good. We have to much work to do to bemoan the past.

Hillary lost because she ran a terrible campaign - basket of deplorables, no concessions towards her base, no empathy towards struggling Americans and her hawkishness. I'm glad she's gone.

We can't blame men any longer for what holds us back. I'm on a mission to train and coach women to speak out. Because without the tools to be persuasive and compelling when speaking, we will be discounted. And too many outstanding women professionals believe they are better behind the scenes. That is a luxury we can no longer afford. It's also why I wrote "Out Front". I'm not advocating for one model of speaker. Finding our own voice is paramount.

"Arise, then, women of this day!

Arise, all women who have hearts,
Whether our baptism be of water or of tears!

Say firmly:
"We will not have great questions decided by irrelevant agencies,
Our husbands will not come to us, reeking with carnage, for caresses and applause.
Our sons shall not be taken from us to unlearn
All that we have been able to teach them of charity, mercy and patience.
We, the women of one country, will be too tender of those of another country
To allow our sons to be trained to injure theirs."

From the bosom of the devastated Earth a voice goes up with our own.
It says: "Disarm! Disarm! The sword of murder is not the balance of justice."
Blood does not wipe out dishonor, nor violence indicate possession.
As men have often forsaken the plough and the anvil at the summons of war,
Let women now leave all that may be left of home for a great and earnest day of counsel.

Let them meet first, as women, to bewail and commemorate the dead.
Let them solemnly take counsel with each other as to the means
Whereby the great human family can live in peace,
Each bearing after his own time the sacred impress, not of Caesar,
But of God.

In the name of womanhood and humanity, I earnestly ask
That a general congress of women without limit of nationality
May be appointed and held at someplace deemed most convenient
And at the earliest period consistent with its objects,
To promote the alliance of the different nationalities,
The amicable settlement of international questions,
The great and general interests of peace."

-- Mother's Day Proclamation -- Julia Ward Howe - 1870

I'd like to see more news on what the other nations are thinking about rump's presidency. I appreciate that some word on that was included in this article. I'd also like to see some news on what other nations plan on doing about rump and his cabal. Are there any trade boycotts being planned against the USA?