Home | About | Donate

'When Workers Fight, Workers Win': Union Declares Victory as Stop & Shop Strike Ends With Deal to Raise Wages

'When Workers Fight, Workers Win': Union Declares Victory as Stop & Shop Strike Ends With Deal to Raise Wages

Jake Johnson, staff writer

The union representing tens of thousands of striking Stop & Shop workers declared victory Sunday after it reached a tentative agreement with management to increase wages and preserve employee benefits that were under threat.

"The people, united, will never be defeated. Thank you to the Stop & Shop workers for your sacrifices and all those who showed up in solidarity."
—Rep. Ayanna Pressley

2 Likes

was with my uncle last night when he got the news an agreement had been reached. No details were given at the time. I’m very happy it seems to be a good deal. Now they vote to ratify the agreement.
I will say that being a new englander myself, i’ve seen allot of factories close in the state of connecticut and all throughout new england really … so allot of new england residents that have stayed in the region were VERY sympathetic to the strikers … NO ONE crossed that picket line. Every regular stop and shop customer went to a competitor.
STRIKES STRIKES AND MORE STRIKES

8 Likes

This is PROOF that numbers fighting for RIGHT do work! Now…how can this be turned into a national commitment to gather more often to fight the good fight?!

1 Like

I expect the Buttigieg and the DNC to take full credit.

2 Likes

Did you see this story about the Buttigieg, Molly?:

5 Likes

Buttigieg came out of nowhere and is getting tremendous support from the media. The fact he gay is a sort of Trojan horse , meant to make it appear he somehow has “progressive” values wherein progressives feel they can identify with him.(This very much like they did with Obama because he was black and Hilary because she was female) He is just another establishment candidate as far as I can tell acting to ensure the status quo remains in place.

I do hope people are not suckered in by this guy as they were with Obama.

6 Likes

What’s going to happen to workers when robots and AI take over their jobs?

2 Likes

Workers don’t ALWAYS win. The GM auto plant in Ohio is shutting down and moving overseas. This, after Trump’s election slogan to those very same people was: “Don’t sell your homes, you will be just fine.” What a lying sack.

2 Likes

*“As long as he owns your tools he owns your job, and if he owns your job he is the master of your fate. You are in no sense a free man. You are subject to his interest and to his will. He decides whether you shall work or not. Therefore, he decides whether you shall live or die. And in that humiliating position any one who tries to persuade you that you are a free man is guilty of insulting your intelligence.” *
― Eugene V. Debs

When workers fight, workers win. It is an absolute shame that this statement even needs to be made. The workers in the 1900s, 1910s and 1920s knew this truth. Why don’t the workers know it now?

Eugene Debs went to prison several times in his fight for workers rights and his antiwar advocacy. Is it possible today that the workers are too comfortable? Are the workers not dedicated enough to risk prison and physical injury at the hands of the Pinkertons? Or is it just plain apathy?

I can remember as a kid that the local newspaper had a regular labor reporter with a daily published column. How many newspapers today devote this much effort and expense to the working class? The bulk of the articles in newspapers today center around politics or financial news (i.e. stock market, etc.) with only minute coverage on issues affecting the working class.

The only way I am able to stay on top of labor issues today is to subscribe to wsws.org and labornotes.org.

At this point in time, the ruling elites (political and capitalist) have won the battle. This will only change when the working class (as a majority group) decides to take back the power that is ours.

When workers fight, workers win!

5 Likes

class consciousness

1 Like

If it is not made a constitutional amendment it likely won’t work. The next administration dumps it and all the people that were trying to make it work for them are in turmoil trying to reset.

4 Likes

Bernie leads by 100%.

I’m for Bernie but hoping Andrew Yang gets into the debates. And Mike Gravel and Tulsi too.

Not if the neoliberal Democrats can help it…

1 Like

Exactly, natureboy. The more progressive voices heard by the populace, the better.

1 Like

We also have to bring back the idea of forming bottom-up Worker-Owned Co-ops to replace top-down corporate ownership of enterprises by demanding an ownership stake for Workers, i.e. not just wages and salaries, but SHARES in the enterprise. Find out from economist Richard Wolff how that can be accomplished.