Home | About | Donate

When You Mistreat Teachers, Beware the Unintended Lessons for Students

I do hear both you and Toni. My criticism of people wherever they come from and whoever they are - like my praise and respect - can sometimes take-on aspects that can bring images to mind that may be construed in a poor light. My apologies - I did think about that phrase, and like black Republicans who should know they are being used (or do and don’t care) is infuriating.

There have always been people who sell-out their brothers and sisters to serve the bosses who deserve nothing but contempt. My writing here at CD on race (and gender) issues and politics among other issues, I hope shows my intentions and heart, regardless a perhaps thoughtless phrase once in a while when I lose it - I am not perfect. Thank you both ReconFire and Toni!

I didn’t see any reference to a teachers union in Vermilion Parish? If the teachers had a union, preferably a strong AFT local, they would have been able to meet this aggression in an organized manner. Years ago, I saw AFT teachers respond to similar small bore threats with United action, locked arms, shouting down the speakers etc which quickly stifled such petty tyrants.

I’m actually glad that that scene was captured but there isn’t anything special about the situation. Scrubbed clean it’s power over people with a stick, a gun, a shove to the floor. Police taking excessive force against people who have broken no laws. And the horror, to me, is that absolutely NO ONE stood up and said, “No, you can’t do that to her.” Yes, a teacher in a very common school board situation across the country, but the twist here is the absolutely unreasonable response and mob condoning of the act of one man to tell a person they have to leave a public meeting when they are making a called for comment. Do we not have eyes? Do we not have ears? Is no one anywhere prepared to make a stand forthwith when they see the unconscionable occur?

Thanks, you said that so much better than I was about to.

One problem with local control is the lack of education and broad experience in so many parts of the country, especially rural and conservative parts like Vermillion Parish. In some places, where they don’t understand whole systems enough to know how natural it is for the things that happen to have happened, they call that irony. (more likely just call it “weird”, not having a very sophisticated vocabulary.)

The idea that national control is inherently better isn’t any more valid than, as you point out, the childish myth of the reverse. As we see, with federal and state governments trying to pass limits on local anti-fracking ordinances, for example. The reason national control has often been better is because it’s been more liberal than most of the geography of the US, liberals being more concentrated in centers of learning and culture. So

It would be good to find a way to put a ratchet on local vs. state and national control–so that no locale could do a worse job than required by national law, only a better one. Stronger ecological laws, more racial, class, gender justice, better safety and health care… but local governments often don’t have the money to do what should be done, or the authority to do better than states and feds. The ratchet should be in the Constitution. Something to put on the to-do list.

Don’t know if it’s true or not but I read on another CD article comment that it’s a charter school with no right to unionize. And of course too many states are “Right to be working poor” states, ditto.
https://commons.commondreams.org/t/outrageous-demanding-pay-raises-for-educators-over-superintendent-teacher-pushed-to-ground-and-arrested/?source_topic_id=48240