Home | About | Donate

Where Have All Those Great Infrastructure Jobs Gone?

Where Have All Those Great Infrastructure Jobs Gone?

Kristin Miller

Remember back in the heady days of the campaign when then-candidate Donald Trump promised to create 25 million jobs with his economic plan? Many of these jobs were to come from a massive reboot to American infrastructure. He promised a 10-year, trillion-dollar program that would solve many of America’s aging infrastructure woes as well as add new, better jobs for millions of American workers.

The “,can be leveraged…” part is Republican-speak for Privatization.

I give any of Trumps infrastructure plans about as much credence as his promise to bring all those manufacturing jobs back to the rust belt from Asia. Typical phony election year promises made to conservative dupes. You can bet that any infrastructure plan if implemented, will benefit the same constituents as Trump’s tax plan; rich people and his cronies.

Yes, nighthawk, I agree. The idea is to Privatize. From the “graphics-heavy-infrastructure plan” link in the article:

“The President’s plan will make America dominant by unleashing private sector capital and expertise to rebuild our cities and states.”

I heard a discussion of the plan a while back on NPR, I believe. They said the idea was to allow investors to purchase tollways, bridges, locks, etc. We know what comes next…charge us for usage until the roads and bridges fail, then call upon the government (we the people) for the cash to rebuild.

So true,

But no problem saying this stuff during an election cycle.
There will be another one where the exact same thing will be said again.
And believed again.

Blockquote
According to its August Significant Rulemaking Report, the Department of Transportation (DOT) has set Friday as the termination date for a program that has already enabled states and cities to create thousands of new, high-wage transportation and construction jobs in some of the nation’s most depressed local labor markets.
‘Many of these jobs were finally addressing long-term unemployment — many, for people of color,’ said Angela Glover Blackwell, CEO of PolicyLink

Why are these people of out of work of color?
Because very often they have no power in an organization, and they are the first to be blamed for non performance.
And that will continue to happen as well.

There are two things of note on the top of my head that are justified by nothing. Trump’s deportation program (latinos need deporting), and the expenditures-slashed-numbers our 115th Congress feels it needs to brag about to a supply-sider dinosaur crowd. The latter is motivated by superstition and nothing more.

These need to disappear.

Unfortunately, Sanders only outlined why the second thing is still around. There’s a little more depth to it. FOR ALL THEIR CRIMES, THE ONLY THING HOLDING BACK A NEW “NEW DEAL” IS THE SECOND THING…and the Kafkaesque labyrinth Laura Chick talks about below (2010) is THE ONLY THING THAT PREVENTS REALITY FROM DEMONSTRATING CONTINUANCE OF THE SECOND THING IS UNNECESSARY.

" ‘I kept hearing that we had lots of projects that were shovel-ready,’ says one administration official. ‘But they weren’t. We have think tanks that make a compelling case for Keynesian stimulus. What we need, it turns out, is a think tank that tells us how to actually do a stimulus – how we can get the dollars out there now’ to reduce unemployment. http://prospect.org/article/work-history-0 [by Harold Meyerson]

…snip…

ibid–>" ‘To be shovel-ready is much more complicated now than it was in 1933,’ says Laura Chick, the former Los Angeles city controller (and a liberal Democrat) whom Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger appointed as the state’s inspector general of stimulus spending. ‘Environmental-impact reviews, historic-preservation safeguards, unionization of government workers – these are good things, but they’ve changed the way government can operate. Plus which, the federal government said, ‘We’ll give you a ton of money, and we want you to spend it faster – and better.’ There are no exemptions from regulations that came with the stimulus funds. They didn’t waive the requirement for competitive bidding; they stressed competitive bidding.’

"She continues, ‘You can’t just build a new bridge. You’ve got to do environmental-impact reports, you have to open up the decision to community input, you face potential lawsuits. I’m not saying concern for environmental impacts should go away, but it makes it harder to deal with an economic crisis.’

“Chick rolls off a litany of speed bumps. The federal government wanted community-based organizations in poor urban communities to undertake home-weatherization projects. But many organizations couldn’t pay the federally mandated prevailing wages for construction work or meet the increased reporting standards that Washington mandated. Weatherization work in Los Angeles almost ground to a halt.”

See also http://michael-hudson.com/2017/01/trump-infrastructure-plan-developer-welfare/