Home | About | Donate

Where There Is Hatred, Let Me Sow Love

Where There Is Hatred, Let Me Sow Love

Bearing signs proclaiming, "We Are Not the Gatekeepers to the Kingdom," about 200 students at a Catholic high school in Iowa - Yes. Teenagers. Catholic. Iowa - and their supporters walked out of classes to protest the denial of a full-time job to popular substitute teacher Tyler McCubbin because he's openly gay, which is "at odds with church teaching." Posing the theoretical question "WWJD?" they argue Jesus would urge "that ye love one another, as I have loved you" and give Tyler the damn job.

We Are Not the Gatekeepers to the Kingdom ....Ya Think....

Not a thumper here, but.........
Psalms 8:2, God ordains strength out of the mouth of babes

"Bearing signs proclaiming, 'We Are Not the Gatekeepers to the Kingdom,' about 200 students at Dowling Catholic High School in Des Moines, Iowa, . . . "

I find this deeply moving.

And as to being "the Gatekeepers to the Kingdom" and "being at odds with church teaching", and to take nothing from the beauty of what the 200 teenagers wrote and did -- it might be relevant, in thinking about what is and is not "at odds with church teaching", to reflect on this recent exchange between the Bishop of Rome and a reporter, the latter having asked the Bishop's position on the presence of gay priests in the Church: "Who am I to judge?"

That's pretty moving too -