Home | About | Donate

Where's the Urgency? UN Experts Slam US Emergency Response to Puerto Rico

Where's the Urgency? UN Experts Slam US Emergency Response to Puerto Rico

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

"With winter approaching, we call for a speedy and well-resourced emergency response that prioritizes the most vulnerable and at risk—children, older people, people with disabilities, women, and homeless people."

devastation in puerto rico

I am very sorry UN but we are in a state of governmental collapse here in the U.S. of A… We have no leadership capable of compassion towards our fellow citizens.

What I have found to be bewildering is the lack of visible helicopter support. In Vietnam you could see one every day for a year. People were complaining that supplies were dumped, but there was a truck driver shortage. We should have been seeing Chinook helicopters in the air, from horizon to horizon, off loading food, water, and medical supplies that were already to be flown.
This lack of helicopter support was obvious from day one G

Good article Jessica. There is not much difference weather wise between winter and summer in PR, but that doesn’t make aid any less urgent.

Leadership is the problem.

Direct Democracy

“The problem is not the death of one man–the problem is the life of this organization. It will either grow to meet the challenges of our age, or it will be gone with the wind, without influence, without force, without respect. Were we to let it die, to enfeeble its vigor, to cripple its powers, we would condemn our future.”

• JFK at the UN

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=8352

We have crippled the UN - and we have condemned our future.

As for Puerto Rico’s debt problems - see Yanis Varoufakis and his new book on the Greek debt crisis - same big ‘black box institutions’ - read corrupt from top to bottom:

“Adults in the Room” (2017)

=====================

From my perspective, in this ongoing and accelerating “Long Emergency”, we have now witnessed the physical as well as the economic collapse of yet another political entity.

These collapses will multiply like proverbial rabbits in the years ahead - if we have years ahead.

Very well said and very astute of you manysummits.

Ben Franklin tried direct democracy and it didn’t work. If it didn’t work during the Golden Age of Reason I doubt it would work today.

The lack of choppers giving aid is something that every civilized country should be calling out Trump over. He considers PR as a problem that others should just ignore same as he is doing. How dare PR expect their government to help them in a time of utter devastation when he has his hands full golfing and tweeting. In his deranged mind it is PR that is being selfish and unreasonable, not him.

He would have been the first in line demanding billions in aid if his Russian resort in Mar-a-lago had been hit as that would have been the fault of Hillary or Obama somehow. Hopefully Mueller starts ratcheting up the pressure to where little Donny looks for the earliest possible exit. Make sure that he has evidence to not only take down the entire cabal but also to shed light on a slew of congress crooks regardless of which party they belong to.

As far as PR goes they may do better filing suit against the entire administration for basically telling PR to FO.

Ben Franklin didn’t have the Internet and the reality of secure, encrypted online voting.

Trump shows up and blames Puerto Ricans for the hurricane damage. What type of “leadership” is that? Do I have to state the obvious, Trump was dealing with non white people in Puerto Rico. He is a RACIST slob. I just hope this ends up in a huge anti Republican backlash in 2018 and 2020 that will make Trump a one term president and Democrats controlling congress after the congressional elections in 2018.

…well it’s Aussieland…it may/may not work for them

ferrocement.com has posted a hurricane rainwater harvester on the opening page. A complete construction manual is provided gratis in several languages.

The red cross years ago refused the idea of helping create independent water supplies. It prefers delivering expensive water in plastic bottles after a disaster.