Home | About | Donate

While Free Press Advocates Denounce Assange Prosecution as Grave Threat, Where Are the Democrats?

While Free Press Advocates Denounce Assange Prosecution as Grave Threat, Where Are the Democrats?

Eoin Higgins, staff writer

The political and journalism worlds reacted to the Trump administration's decision Thursday to charge Wikileaks founder Julian Assange with 17 counts of violating the Espionage Act with concern for those celebrating the prosecution and dismay over those remaining silent on the issue.

"Espionage charges against Assange are a threat to press freedom."
—Karen vanden Heuvel

2 Likes

“Assange is a bad actor who has harmed U.S. national security — and he should be held accountable,” said Warren. “But Trump should not be using this case as a pretext to wage war on the First Amendment and go after the free press who hold the powerful accountable everyday.”

Clearly Elizabeth Warren does not appreciate the revelations that Julian Assange and Chelsea Manning provided. Chelsea was the whistleblower and Julian was a publisher. The NYT, WP, Common Dreams and others worldwide thought the information was very relevant.

So does Bernie Sanders:

Sanders said in a tweet Friday. “Donald Trump must obey the Constitution, which protects the publication of news about our government.”

Common Dreams should not be recklessly lumping Warren in with Sanders and Wyden without clear differentiation on this point.

33 Likes

Tulsi Gabbard was way out in front of these three as she complained about Assange’s arrest from the start. If ignoring or slandering Tulsi was a drinking game, we would be drunk all the time. Where is their defense of Manning, Winner, and Snowden?

32 Likes

Warren needs to make a clear statement that she does not support the prosecution of Assange or my support for her is gone.

12 Likes

I think she just did.

““Assange is a bad actor who has harmed U.S. national security — and he should be held accountable,” said Warren.” and " Hillary Clinton: Julian Assange must ‘answer for what he has done"

15 Likes

Just checked some major corporate news websites (MSDNC, NBC, CNNN, CBS, ABC, NYTimes, LATimes) and only the Washington Post had a story on Assange. They should be talking about this 24/7 but I guess there is no profits in it. Also, Assange is not a US citizen so how can he be indicted for violations of the US Espionage Act?

21 Likes

Gabbard has already said she would pardon Assange and Snowden.
Anyone still want to vote for Warren.

24 Likes

When you’re an entertainer like most of the MSM, you have nothing to fear.

4 Likes

You’re covered, she announced what I posted above a few weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oREsrC4IzEc

1 Like

You beat me to it. Yes, Gabbard is way ahead of the pack. She has never condemned them in anyway but has publicly stated that she will drop ALL charges against Manning, Snowden, and Assange.

20 Likes

Meanwhile, the NSA the FBI, The CIA and all the other said to be 17 spy agencies, follow us all in the stores, on our phones and our computers, our TVs and in the streets -----and where the 1st Amendment and the 4th— seem to be erasing themselves. And where live, and on TV , Clapper said to Congress yes, he spied in them. And then he smiled.

I think the Emperor’s New Clothes story is all wrong----the Emperor is actually wearing ermine and silk, but tells the People that he wears rags—and the people, standing in torn shreds of clothing are told that they look marvelous----and the People believed. : (

9 Likes

Agree. Many of these so-called progressive writers have joined the mainstream media in intentionally ignoring Gabbard or giving negative coverage. Niko House is one who has given her positive coverage on a regular basis.

14 Likes

I agree, Tulsi has been focused on this for some time. For example, here’s a recent Newsweek article and an excellent speech.

“Tulsi Gabbard Says She Would Drop Julian Assange Charges and Pardon Edward Snowden”

Tulsi’s thinking is strategic. Instead of a list diverse domestic goals, she is starting at the vast waste in money and lives of regime change wars, which soak up vast resources we could use to rebuild domestically.
“Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard - Build, Don’t Bomb: A New American Foreign Policy”

Directly taking on the powers behind the regime change wars, a deadly bunch, takes courage. That’s why most candidates don’t mention it, or barely mention it. For some background on why,

Bernie or Warren are great as far as they go, and I’d be happy with either/both, but right now I don’t see them focused on that central goal. As for Joe, LOL!

8 Likes

The article neglected to include Tulsi Gabbard who has vowed to revoke all charges against Assange and Manning and Snowden if elected to the presidency. She tweeted her support of Assange today

16 Likes

So it has come down to this. A race to see who going to arrest their enemies first.

1 Like

To re-post an accurate post from another person:
Tulsi Gabbard was way out in front of these three as she complained about Assange’s arrest from the start. If ignoring or slandering Tulsi was a drinking game, we would be drunk all the time. Where is their defense of Manning, Winner, and Snowden?

14 Likes

Afraid to bite the hand that feeds them, politicians lacking integrity hide rather than rise to the occasion.

2 Likes

Here’s the 14 minute portion of the entire Joe Rogan interview of Tulsi Gabbaard (currently at 1,805,554 views) , when Gabbard eloquently elaborated on why she would drop all charges against Assange and Snowden. It’s truly worth one’s time to watch this. Better yet, watch the entire 2:34:47 of it, when you can. At two and a half hours, I had to listen to it over a period of several days.

16 Likes

Yes. It’s becoming explicitly clear that CD is not interested in Tulsi Gabbard’s candidacy. My bet is that CD will end up pushing whomever the DNC desires, progressive credentials or not…more likely “not”.

9 Likes

So, here’s a good one, which most of us will appreciate: In the full YouTube video of the Joe Rogan interview of Tulsi Gabbard, Joe asks her how old she is; and, then, starts comparing her age to Kennedy’s, when he was elected. At time = 1:34;14, Gabbard says, “But, look at Trump, though. So, what, he’s in his mid-seventies? But his maturity is of an adolescent, at best. …But, my point is, maturity matters; experience matters; and, the experience that I bring is different than any other candidate that’s running for President…etc.”

10 Likes