Home | About | Donate

While Pushing for Corporate Legal Immunity, McConnell Vows to Block Extension of Boosted Unemployment Benefits

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/05/21/while-pushing-corporate-legal-immunity-mcconnell-vows-block-extension-boosted

If we put people in prison for violating the general principles of decency, honesty, truthfulness and ethical behavior, this asshole would get a life sentence.

6 Likes

I would love to watch an honest laborer hand McConnell a shovel and order him to dig his own grave. He would stroke out and couldn’t finish the job, of course, but I would gladly finish the process if given first watering rights.

5 Likes

Does McConnell need a mask for more than SARS-Cov-2?

2 Likes

Is There Any Safe Way to Socialize During the Coronavirus Pandemic?

~https://time.com/5835818/socializing-coronavirus-social-distancing/

Now, when it comes to this Confederate psychopath the only “safe” distance from him is in his removal from office.

[C]alling the fact that some people are making slightly more money on unemployment than they did from their jobs "crazy."

Pray tell, McConnell: Are you worth a single penny of the income we pay you? Many of us think what you and your pals are payed is crazy as in 100% too much.

“Removing that support while eliminating access to food, shelter, and healthcare would inflict untold suffering and could cause widespread civic unrest,” Beyer warned. "Cutting back federal assistance at the height of the crisis would mean self-inflicted disaster, devastation, and additional deaths. That must not happen."

And if it does, we must all be ready to lend them a hand to help and to organize
General Strikes to lead to non cooperation with the state until our demands are met.

1 Like

Each time the Democratic House of Representatives refuses to pass big bold consequential legislation that would make a real impact in dealing with the Covid crisis, it further emboldens Mitch McConnells fascist agenda.
Say what you will about Mitch, he knows how to negotiate. If you want 10 widgets, you demand 20 and settle for 15. You don’t tell the other side on day one that you NEED 10, but will settle for 7, because then you’ll be lucky to get 5.
Mark my words. At the end of this round of negotiations there will be another wimpy $1200 stimulus check sent out. Federal backing of unemployment benefits will be extended, but nowhere near the $600 that a few folks get now. And in exchange for those paltry benefits, corporate America will receive PERMINENT legal immunity, not just for Covid issues, but for everything. With that edict, they will have carte Blanche to pollute and poison wherever and whatever they want, and of course continue to abuse employees.
Fascism has come to America. In truth. It’s been here for some time.

7 Likes

The $2.3 trillion CARES Act, the Donald Trump-led rescue package signed into law on March 27th, is a radical rethink of American capitalism. It retains all the cruelties of the free market for those who live and work in the real world, but turns the paper economy into a state protectorate, surrounded by a kind of Trumpian Money Wall that is designed to keep the investor class safe from fear of loss.

Matt Taibbi

This action is a continuation of the transfer of the public wealth to the few while adding a guarantee that that transfer will be protected no matter how physically damaging it will be for workers.

3 Likes

McConnell, Trump, Pelosi, Biden, Schumer, they all know what they can get away with because of the vote. Everyone just doesn’t stop voting for them, no matter how many times their high treason is exposed. Sure most of the elections are rigged to some degree, whether it is the rigged electronic machines, gerrymandering, or even just the economics of the whole process. This has gone so far that they are emboldened and know without a question of a doubt at this point they can literally do anything, absolutely anything they want, with no consequence. Until the stupidest electorate in the history of elections starts to wake the fuck up, they will get exponentially worse. It may very well be so bad already, that very soon the charade of holding elections will no longer be maintained. I feel this to be a very real possibility within ten years or less.

3 Likes

Don’t get my hopes up. I still haven’t gotten the last one. Oh, but wait: It turns out there’s a helpful number you can call to track the progress of your stimulus check, or to discover the identity of the entity which absconded with it: 1-800-GO-FISH.

5 Likes

Why is mcconnell trying to force his own constituency in Kentucky into financial ruin? Kentucky is one of the poorest States in the country. I would imagine there are many many Kentucky residents who really need that money. And why don’t these clowns realize if they put a trillion dollars into the hands of the poor that money is going to be spent amediately thereby stimulating the economy. What the h*** is the matter with these guys?

2 Likes

Regarding “the height of the crisis” – The numbers keep telling me we have definitely not yet seen the height of USA’s COVID-19 outbreak. Not by a long shot. The most solid indicator that our surge barrels on full speed ahead is the number of states setting new daily records for reported cases and deaths. There’s seldom a day in which no state sets a new record. Tuesday the 19th (the latest date available at this writing) set more records than I’ve seen in awhile. Record daily new cases for: Alabama, +676; Maine, +78; North Carolina, +1,023; North Dakota, +101; and godforsaken Wisconsin, +528. Record daily deaths for: Iowa, +26; and Nebraska, +15.

2 Likes

That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government , laying its foundation on such principles, and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.
Declaration of Independence

6 Likes

Thanks for your comments and detailed reporting of this. I agree with you and think we are in store for a nightmare that is beyond comprehension.

Talk about crazy making:

Record unemployment, miles long food bank lines and the despicable “djia” keeps surging ahead! Real estate in some areas is still so hot that homes are selling within hours of hitting the market.

Crowds of people maniacally filling “nature” parks, malls, bars as the country “opens up” and while covid cases continue their upward trajectory.

How can anyone maintain their sanity in this?

I read this comment on another blog yesterday and I agree:

“I don’t think anyone capable of looking at what we’re doing to the environment and not feel chronically distressed over it is mentally sound”.

I guess that would make me “mentally unsound”!

Thanks for your hilarious “go fish” post above. Nice to start the day with some laughter in spite of all the dire news.

1 Like

Although that quote is as turgidly worded as possible, the actual meaning of that quote is that you are mentally unsound if you aren’t distressed by the destruction of the environment caused by humans. I think that would make you mentally sound, because you care about this, no?

A few of my colleagues at work have yet to receive theirs as well (we got ours the first week, sorry. We used it to pay off the credit card)
Leave it to the trump administration to mess up something so simple as sending out a check. All part of the Republican narrative I guess, the government can’t do anything right, except spend money on war.

And keep in mind, they aren’t even counting them in Florida or Georgia any more.

Yes, I thought about this and not to get too caught up in semantics . . . I do feel destabilized by all of this, with a massive increase in anxiety and many days where it is hard to keep pushing through the craziness, cognitive dissonance and mounting grief over the dying of ecosystems. Perhaps that would be “mentally sound” in that it is a normal reaction to the violence, death and destruction that increases daily.

I think you get my drift . . .

Speaking of psychological terminology in reference to what we (the "mentally sound or unsound!:slight_smile: are experiencing with covid, the brilliant Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz said this in a recent article (a must read, imo!):

“The coronavirus culture war is “kind of a petri dish of all the psychoses of US history”, as Dunbar-Ortiz, the author of An Indigenous People’s History of the United States, put it.”

(h)ttps://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/21/all-the-psychoses-of-us-history-how-america-is-victim-blaming-the-coronavirus-dead

Excerpt:
"To Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz and other historians, Americans’ push to reopen the economy during a pandemic, and some Americans’ willingness to hold armed demonstrations in order to do so, looks like a case of almost psychotic repetition.

It’s not a new idea that thousands of people must die to preserve America’s “business as usual”. It’s not a new assumption many of those people will be brown or black.

The Navajo Nation, where many families do not even have running water to wash their hands, has one of the highest rates of coronavirus in the country."

1 Like

Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

2 Likes

A lot is happening in the other half of the duopoloy ------ none of it will help counteract the pathological behaviors of McConnell, trump et al. Folks . . this is NOT encouraging folks.

Bernie is trying to muzzle dissenters (Krystal and Saagar: Bernie MUZZLES his own delegates on Biden criticism—(h)ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTGvTjsCRj0)

Biden was “virtually” (on all levels) in Wisconsin yesterday and I watched the whole damn thing.

Is anyone looking at this man (shell of a man) and how he is behaving???

This is the “presumptive” democratic nominee!

We MUST look and not ignore this! Winning Wisconsin will be critical in the 2020 presidential election and I can’t imagine trump being defeated in Wisconsin with Biden as his opponent.

Biden conveyed (in his muddled, reading off teleprompter way) to struggling farmers in Wisconsin that what he and Obama did (their “stewardship”) after the 2008 crisis was helpful and positive!

And as most of you have probably read/heard, the Biden campaign states that he firmly rejects BDS which is “letting Palestinians off the hook for their choices.”

WTF???

2 Likes

Given Congress’s lack of financial support for small business and workers themselves, and the basic knowledge that consumers must have money to spend, to keep our economic system afloat, it’s not a big stretch to conclude Congress is purposefully trying to crash the economy. Other industrial nations understand this, and have acted accordingly by keeping money in their citizens hands during this crises, that they didn’t cause. Now the Chairman of the Fed is signaling he understands this as well, and has urged Congress to bailout the people. Instead we get messaging like the one in this story.
So I’ll ask, why is Congress trying to crash the economy, knowing full well it will take years to recover, instead of months, and could be avoided?

1 Like