Home | About | Donate

While Sanders Rejects It, Clinton Embraces Nuclear as Part of 'Clean-Energy' Vision

Nuclear power has been a huge corporate welfare program. Has any Clinton ever met a corporate welfare program they didn't like ?

Clinton's primary numbers may be favorable in states that embrace nuclear power and waste. Utah wants to import nuclear waste from abroad, right ?

Will Trump's ability to turn bad PR into energy trump other candidates' energy policy ?

Like the effects of burning fossil fuels, nuclear byproducts are a cruel joke on upcoming generations. The immorality of the establishment sickens me.

And coal, released in a statement. Ha! Go Bernie.

Yes indeed ! In addition to ever increasing use of fossil fuels to mine deeper for uranium (the shallow uranium has already been mined), and energy needed to transport and process uranium, nuclear power plants require cooling water that heats up adjacent bodies of water, negatively impacting those ecosystems.

Has Clinton promised a lump of coal in every Murkin's Christmas stocking yet ?

The amounts of uranium - and the energy inputs involved in are miniscule compared to the tonanges involved in coal. A few tens of grams of uranium has the energy content of several railroad cars of coal.

And coal power plants have exactly the same thermal water emissions and nuclear plants. The continued operation of a local nuclear plant in my area has helped shut down some massive super-polluting coal power plants in my area.

Nuclear waste, leakage, nuclear accidents, exorbitant water usage (all have to be built on waterways or coasts where water is abundantly available) but as long as those stacks are not visible from HRC's home or from the White House, then build away...if you cannot see the disaster that is inevitable, then push for expansion. GE is wetting itself hearing HRC's push for expanding nuclear power plants. Clean energy...yeah, take a look at Three Mile Island, Love Canal, Chernobyl, and Fukushima. We have not seen the end of the deleterious effects of Fukushima nor will we ever! Nice job, HRC...pander to the big money.

Okay, I give up. How are you blaming nuclear power for Love Canal?

Thank you for that info. This is big. Nuclear is a horrible lie. It's beyond horrible. To Bernie: The lady in the campaign photo of the over-flow crowd in Vancouver had a sign that read something like: "Jesus would vote for Bernie". Love it! lol

Nukes will be the death of us all, if we do nothing going into the future. Millennials, "Wake up"!

Yunzer wrote (to raydelcamino):

'... A few tens of grams of uranium has the energy content of several railroad cars of coal....'

I get 3*10^12 J for a railroad car full of bituminous coal. And 2.9*10^10 J for 50 grams of natural uranium when the U-235 content is fissioned.

So 3,000 gigajoules, right? Man, brown coal must really suck. I remember reading that 100,000 kg of Rhineland brown coal (a fairly large boxcar load) has a heat energy value of 900 gigajoules. (And fissioning 10 grams of uranium produces, what, 880 gigajoules?)

Nuclear plants have problems that guarantee Clinton's support because they require that large and centralized engineering, banking, and military interests get money by keeping deadly secrets and bribing government agencies.

These come from intrinsic factors in the design of nuclear plants that in turn arise from the logistics of working with radiation:

• Lots of power gets generated in one place
  • Security is vital against disaster and attack
  • Leaks are a constant problem
  • Routine repair of critical functions kills or sickens human personnel
  • Huge initial investment must be held for many years before return
  • Construction personnel must lose jobs and move after several years
  • Plants must be placed outside of urban areas, resulting in "company town" cultures with restricted information

To abbreviate what could be a long narrative, government grants special privilege against liability to large investors to hire workers to create a residential section for workers and then a plant. The greater the radiation protection for people downwind and downstream, the greater the initial expense. When the workers complete the plant, they lose their jobs, and their houses plummet in price because a sort of ghost town is created. So of course they monkeywrench the plant. Companies outsource work that damages health (like scrubbing down radioactive units) to avoid class action suits when radiation-related class action lawsuits appear. Information is shared on a need-to-know basis to reduce chance of lawsuit or public resistance. Plants must run coolant water through metal pipes, which rust and cannot be replaced (because of the radiation) so the plants leak more year by year. They are maintained open as long as possible against public protest and generally reluctant regulation by long-term professional PR campaigns. Responsibility for waste is transferred to the Federal government and thereby to taxpayers by lawsuits enabled by the sweetheart deals made at the outset.

We will not get nuclear power that is clean, nor companies nor regulation that is honest. These are designed out of the system. Mrs. Clinton backs them presumably because the largest financiers are heavily invested in both the plants and in her.

Trog wrote:

.So 3,000 gigajoules, right? Man, brown coal must really suck....'

It's fuel value is greater than that of anthracite, but it's a DIRTY coal. I recall that in South Philly where I grew up during the 1930's and 1940's, most homes used anthracite for heating. The coal truck driver would park in front of the house, open the cellar window, and push the coal chute through it. The coal would then come flying into the coal bin. The "Blue Coal " company had essentially no competition; they sponsored "The Shadow" radio program, which aired each Sunday at 5:00 Eastern Time. The coals' natural shiny luster were enhanced by a coating of blue pigment. But it burned much more cleanly than bituminous, which was used in factories, hospitals, and ships.