Home | About | Donate

While 'Scar of Injustice' Lingers and Racist Violence Persists, DOJ Reopens 1955 Murder Case of Emmett Till

While 'Scar of Injustice' Lingers and Racist Violence Persists, DOJ Reopens 1955 Murder Case of Emmett Till

Jon Queally, staff writer

The case into the 1955 kidnapping, torture, and murder of 14-year-old Emmett Till—whose killing helped galvanize opposition to racism in the South and fueled the Civil Rights movement—has been reopened by the U.S. Justice Department, news outlets reported Wednesday.

Jeff Session’s DOJ is opening the Emmett Till case?

I wouldn’t be surprised to see them rule that the brutal torture and murder of Emmett Till was a justifiable act of self-defense.

Your cynicism is entirely justified.

This makes total sense. His murders are either dead or will be found incompetent to sit trial. Either way, this is an insult more than anything else.

I don’t understand what angle they’re working either. My understanding is the murderer confessed after his acquittal, so double jeopardy would apply, if he’s still alive. He bragged about it to Life magazine (I think), after his trial. Possible accessory charges for others involved?

Good question. I have an odd suspicion about this. Let’s say that the case is reviewed. What outcome could there be that would be helpful at this point and time? Justice won’t be served, nor will faith in our system be restored. I don’t think this is a public relations move due to lack of mass media attention, mainly due to the glorification of Trump. So what is the underlying purpose if noone can be prosecuted or convicted due to double jeopardy? It seems there is a motive, but I’m not sure what yet. I would assume it’s political,but absolutely not about justice.