Home | About | Donate

While Warning of Nazi-Like Fascism and Corporate Crimes, Pope Francis Proposes Adding 'Ecological Sin' to Church Teachings

I think once we realize that all institutions are vulnerable to corruption and abuse of power we will at least know where the problems are. I’m not sure exclusion is the answer, but I guess it is possible if there is more to that plan.

And the sins by the Catholic Church Pedophiles ?

1 Like

Right On, Barry!!   The pope’s mention of “Ecological Sin” is the eee-pitomization of hypocrisy.   GROSS Over-Population is the root cause of excess consumption of resources and excess production of waste & pollution, all of which would be considerably less with 1/8 as many people 2-legged cancer cells on the planet.  Of all the churches MANY sins, overpopulation resulting from its policies is – and will continue to be for a long time – the greatest cause of suffering by ALL of Mother Nature’s children.

. . . and Right On, Fern!!

Another Point for Fern!!

A Point for Shantiananda, and yet another one for Fern!  Youse guys are AWESOME!!

And Right On, Adam!!   I agree with the Constitution:  NO establishment of organized religion deserves ANY respect whatsoever.   All religions are based upon Fraud, and resort to Force when questioned . . .

Organization are like cesspools — the bigger they are, the bigger the turds that float to the top.  Wash­ington, D.C. is the most obvious current example, but the church of Rome wins on longevity and total human suffering caused (at least so far).

BTW, there was a similar pro-poop article posted here a month or two ago.  It got about the same treatment from CD’s anti-hypocrisy readers, and the entire thread was “disappeared” in less than twenty-four hours.  I wonder how long this one will remain visible . . .

5 Likes

Encouraging warnings from Pope Francis, and I’ll give him credit for this effort in taking these positions.

With sites such as CD, he takes these warnings to the people, and he can largely bypass the US hierarchy, where he most likely has few allies.

Perhaps these positions will impact US politics for environmental and corporate justice. These are also hallmarks of Benie Sanders’ bid for the presidency.

4 Likes

And let’s not forget the “Puritans”, the Calvinists whose ideas were also so injurious.

5 Likes

I’m not saying it’s possible, in fact its not possible to pass any law that serves the public good, not while the corruption is so endemic in our current theocratic regime. The only thing that can make it possible is overthrowing all of those in power forcefully - all of them, and I’m not talking about government here.

I know, it is like the old saying, “how many psychologists does it take to change a light bulb, just one but the light bulb has to want to change”. People need a sense of community, so if you remove something there has to be something better, just making it illegal may stop “________” but it doesn’t guarantee things will improve.

3 Likes

Francis is a soulless bullshitter, CEO of one of the world’s wealthiest–if not the wealthiest–corporations. Shut your yap long enough to come to the aid of the indigenous peoples in S America who were destroyed by your church and its Spanish Catholic conquistadors. Elevate women to the priesthood. Get your seminarians to zip up their pants. In so many respects, your organization is the enemy of human freedom and independence–how dare you.

6 Likes

Francis spoke and Satan smiled.

1 Like

“Booming voices in the sky”. My sides are sore from laughing at that one.

1 Like

He can address “sins against ecology,” but can’t address animal liberation, animal rights,
humanity’s relentless and ruthless CRIMES against other animals, except for the mealy-mouthed mention of “be kind to animals.”

According to the Catholic Church (in which I was raised and taught this), “Brute beasts, not having understanding and therefore not being persons, cannot have any rights. The conclusion is clear. They are not autocentric. They are of the number of THINGS, which are another’s: they are chattels, or cattle. We have no duties to them…. Nor are we bound to any anxious care to make [their] pain as little as may be. Brutes are THINGS in our regard: so far as they are useful to use, they exist for us, not for themselves; and we do right in using them unsparingly for our need and convenience….” Jesuit Joseph Rickaby

“…a Neapolitan peasant, having learned from his parish priest that animals are not ‘moral persons,’ can go home after Mass and with a clear conscience give his donkey a thorough taste of the switch.” – “Men, Beasts, and Gods - A History of Cruelty and Kindness to Animals” – G. Carson

This Pope, like all the others before him, will never overturn Church teachings and policy regarding the moral status of nonhuman animals. So he focuses on climate change only because humanity is all that matters to the Church. Pope Francis speaks of stewardship, compassion, and avoiding cruelty. But words supporting virtue without demanding action has a word that describes it–hypocrisy.

4 Likes

Humanity isn’t consciously trying to commit suicide, but it’s doing something that suicide attempters often think about. At a certain point, attempters often have a change of heart and want to live. So, the plan if one is attempting suicide is to weight one’s self down with so many bricks that one can’t have a last second change of heart, swim back to the surface and save one’s self.

Humanity is setting up nature in spades. We can expect chronic worldwide agricultural failures and the destruction of most of the world’s forests. Are we sure that we want to go into a steep population decline this way?

1 Like

By any means necessary, is fine with me. This isn’t a crisis. It’s an emergency. Brace for impact! (I’ve been watching “Why Planes Crash”.)

Just to name a few much needed changes, while re-writing the Church’s extremely out molded teachings, he could go ahead and do away with celibacy for the clergy, birth control prohibitions, and dubbing LGBTQ+ as sin.

2 Likes

Ecological sin is a good thought, but so long as the church espouses unlimited population growth, ecological sin is inevitable. So it sounds good, but doesn’t make sense.

4 Likes

To the best of my knowledge, Mr. Bergoglio (the one they call “Pope”) has never denounced the dead animal body parts industry, and has never so much as advocated for a vegetarian diet. It is difficult to take seriously the environmental and ecological pronouncements of someone who lacks the discipline or the will to foreswear participating in something so obviously wrong as factory meat production. Seriously, would Jesus have eaten a goddamn wendys hamburger, knowing that its production was conditioned on destruction of the Amazon, on giant pools of sewage, on misery for millions of living beings?

If you can’t set an example in your own life of the character and good will that you’re telling others to cultivate in themselves, then sorry you just have no business being a spiritual leader. Spiritual leadership involves genuine sacrifice. Hardship. Lack of recognition. Poverty. Standing alone in truth. Vertical. Not groveling around acting holy with a bunch of expensive clothes and jewelry.

4 Likes

As well as the horrific human labor conditions in the meat factories.

5 Likes

Dang pseudo lefties. Same few people post their boring personal views and end up chasing away serious discussions with a wider range of potential readers. CD apparently has only a couple of dozen regulars who keep posting the same repetitive comments (in this case about the first Pope who is at the very least an ally in the struggle against fascism and climate change). Yep the same vanity selfies but on CD not their phone pics. The same posts, the same egotistical simplicities over and over. Like religious people whether it’s Martin Luther King or this Pope don’t deserve any credit for what they do. You seriously boring regulars are posting the same stuff to each other and destroying CD in the process. Think about it. Are you regulars the only people who read CD anymore? Are you few the only people interested in hearing what readers think of CD’s articles. To see the same names posting to three or five articles everyday and saying the same stuff (like their personal opinion of religion like that is so damn important to someone else over and over again and again.). People you are killing CD or haven’t you noticed that you regulars seem to be the only ones posting on CD? Nice little club you people made for yourselves. Not too many other people seem all that interested in what you people chat to each other about though.

2 Likes

Lately whenever I see some holy roller evangelist I want to ask them if they eat factory meat. It’s shocking what glaring contradictions some people are willing to live with.

2 Likes

Actually, although raised Catholic Hitler hated the Catholic church. At one point he seriously planned on having Pope Pius XII kidnapped due to his opposition to Hitler’s policies. One Jewish historian estimates that the Catholic Church saved the lives of approximately 700,000 through it’s heroic underground efforts. At the Dachau death camp, there was a special barracks that over time housed 2,579 Catholic priest who had opposed the Nazis. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priest_Barracks_of_Dachau_Concentration_Camp

6 Likes