Home | About | Donate

Whistleblower Leaked Suspicious Cohen Payments Due to Concerns Over Missing Files—and Possible Cover-up

Whistleblower Leaked Suspicious Cohen Payments Due to Concerns Over Missing Files—and Possible Cover-up

Julia Conley, staff writer

A law enforcement agent leaked three government documents detailing suspicious financial activity by the firm of Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's personal attorney, due to concerns that information on Cohen's dealings were missing from a government database—a serious red flag pointing to the possibility that files detailing possible criminal activity were intentionally covered up.

Here is to hoping that Mueller adds Mnuchin to the ever-growing list of the “allegedly” guilty.

We the People must protect this patriot.

At all costs.

This is not normal. This is a crime worthy of punishment according to law and enforced to the letter of the law. This endangers investigations and real people. All of this true and truth. That being said, day-light is strong medicine against anything. If not for this day-light we might never have known. A massive service to our country has been achieved. A hero in the shadows? Quite possibly.

These people ARE our hero’s.

The rot is systemic people. The only way to cure it is to kill the system itself.

Michael Avenatti, released a memo describing payments Cohen’s firm had received, including $500,000 from a Russian oligarch and $200,000 from AT&T.

"As someone who worked at Treasury on anti-money laundering activities, my reaction to this Ronan Farrow story is 'holy st.’" —Daniel W. Drezner**

Whistleblower: two of the SARs regarding Cohen had vanished from a Treasury Department database, the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FINCEN), where such reports are listed.

Some payments made to Cohen were marked as “bribery or gratuity” and “suspicious use of third-party transactors (straw-man)” by banks.

"Things that stand out as abnormal, like documents being removed from a system, are of grave concern to me," the whistleblower told journalist Ronan Farrow, who first reported on the missing SARs in the New Yorker. "I have never seen something pulled off the system…That system is a safeguard for the bank. It’s a stockpile of information. When something’s not there that should be, I immediately became concerned."

Disclosing the existence of suspicious activity reports carries strict criminal and civil penalties—including up to five years in prison. The whistleblower behind the disclosures knew of the risks but felt it was important that there be public scrutiny:

The two missing SARs detailed $3 million in suspicious transactions by Cohen’s company.

"A former prosecutor who spent years working with the FINCEN database said that she knew of no mechanism for restricting access to SARs," wrote Farrow.

Just how high up does the power have to be to get documents removed from a
Treasury Dept. database?

This looks a lot like a Treasure Map and we need someone experienced to explain all the trails.