Home | About | Donate

White Men in Suits, Original Sin, and Rumplestiltskin

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/07/05/white-men-suits-original-sin-and-rumplestiltskin

9 Likes

Full confession here, once into the article Procol Harum’s A Whiter Shade of Pale naturally looped through my mind. I rejected original sin et al at the age of six when transferred into Sunday school from “cold storage” as I now call it. The latter was bliss where one played with blocks and ate cookies and play dough (don’t knock it until you’ve tried it) and drank grape juice. The former, in it Presbyterian form, was thick with guilt and predestination and all sorts of mind games. I preferred elementary school where I was rewarded for asking questions over Sunday school where I was rebuked for such. Nature, oft provided me through Boy Scouts provided me my sanctuary. As a senior in high school I was introduced to Ralph Waldo Emerson, who taught me that my connections to Nature and Myself were Healthy. I recommend that everybody read Emerson.

13 Likes

Wow, music to my ears…Cheers.

4 Likes

So, you be the miller’s daughter. You’re CEO of The Miller’s Daughter, Inc., a Fortune 500 company. I know you, a good capitalist, can weave straw into gold, that is, you know how to turn a profit on any resource properly marketed. But now I’m giving you a room full of carbon, oxygen, nitrogen and hydrogen.

I’m giving the miller’s daughter ten or ten million years to reassemble a world in which children can safely congregate. This is an emergency. Thoughtful teachers are out there almost alone amongst grownups willing to recognize that most school-reopening plans we see are ludicrous and dangerous. But younger kids especially need each other immediately to develop properly as human beings: How best to balance viral precautions and mental health? Kindergartners can’t be surrounded by masks all day, for months into years – not without a permanent developmental deficit.

How to make children feel safe enough to grow up healthy without telling them lies which don’t make them one bit safer? How to work out issues of authority when we grown-ups have obviously screwed up so badly? My humble opinion is that Shetterly makes a good start on some of these questions which worry me, because he doesn’t allow the usual crap about “faith” to mess up the discussion. That’s a good start.

10 Likes

Underlying virtually all of our laws in the Americas , is that “Doctrine of Discovery”. The very existence of our Countries is predicated on that doctrine.

Our histories are built on a gross injustice and on the fabrication that only Europeans are deserved of anything in this world and that all of the World should bow to the demands of Europe and the White descendants that came out of the place. Even today the Countries of Europe and the Colonies they founded pretend they know what is best for every person of color.

It hard to imagine the kind of world we would have were the concepts of that doctrine repealed . Every piece of land owned would lose any “legal” underpinnings. I suspect it would be one far more just and equitable.

11 Likes

Gets to the heart of the matter.
The Cultural Myths of humans are leading to our own demise .
Survival of the fittest and the belief that human nature is evil mixed in with the idea we are all separate from each other and the divine.

The higher the blasphemie the greater the truth.

Evolved beings put in principles that guide their evolutionary process .The principles we use have caused and are causing humanitys demise .
The first guiding principle of highly evolved beings is Oneness and everything is interrelated.
This Spiritual understanding must be wholly Integrated into our culture to ensure survival of nature and therefore ourselves .
Without nature being in balance and cared for humanity cannot survive .

Namaste… a simple word lived as truth creates another way of living and being on this Earth.
“The god in me honours the god in you”.

If we could get to this place and make life prime value we have a chance …

Originally sin is actually original blessing.

5 Likes

WiseOwl, I hear you. I couldn’t agree more. Your path sounds just like my own.

Emerson and Thoreau are timeless and essential.

2 Likes

So true…

1 Like

How do you do that without removing all the stop lights (stimulus control) in society as a lesson in cooperation?

I read Emerson while in college and always enjoyed his essays, like Compensation. " What you are speaks so loudly; that what you say you are is never heard". That quote is relevant today to describe Trumps specious rhetoric.

Trump says he never reads so is probably a complete moron about Emerson. If someone asked Trump about Emerson, I would guess Trump’s reply might be something like: " Oh yes, I use to own an Emerson T.V. a long time ago…LOL!

6 Likes

I have this Thoreau quote posted on my office wall.

We had a remarkable sunset one day last November. I was walking in a meadow, the source of a small brook, when the sun at last, just before setting, after a cold grey day, reached a clear stratum in the horizon, and the softest brightest morning sun-light fell on the dry grass and on the stems of the trees in the opposite horizon, and on the leaves of the shrub-oaks on the hill-side, while our shadows stretched long over the meadow eastward, as if we were the only motes in its beams. It was such a light as we could not have imagined a moment before, and the air also was so warm and serene that nothing was wanting to make a paradise of that meadow. When we reflected that this was not a solitary phenomenon, never to happen again, but that it would happen forever and ever an infinite number of evenings, and cheer and reassure the latest child that walked there, it was more glorious still.

12 Likes

May I humbly add Black Elk, Rumi, and Basho to the list of must-reads. Three different cultures, yet they share one thought-everything is interconnected, interdependent, and sacred. Immanence and numinous are part of the Whole. From an old song-We are Stardust…literally.
As for White Men in Suits during the 50’s and 60’.s, being a female child was a living hell if you refused to conform. Men were gods, you were destined to be a Mommy and nothing more. Failure to obey a man resulted in a spanking or beating. Lutherans also were rough on women; they were the cause of the Fall, meant only to be the helpmate of man. Luther’s Small Catechism is nasty and we had to memorize the whole bloody thing, able to recite it from memory in order to be confirmed. Two years of my life wasted, not able to do cool things like prowling the woods and riding horses.
Glad so many of you share my favorite writers and their thoughts. Namaste. Blessed be.

10 Likes

As an ecologist preparing to compost, this essay brought me tears, and humility.

4 Likes

Witness, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation’s “Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa,” purporting to “save” Africa with financialized GMO chemical industrial commodity agriculture.

7 Likes

i’m heading out to my compost pile right now. This world needs a lot of composting…

3 Likes

Barry Commoner’s First Law of Ecology:
“Everything is connected to everything else.”

7 Likes

Also let me take this opportunity to propagate the meme of Trumplethinskin.

2 Likes

I had reverence for the elements and nature long before I read Thoreau or Emerson.
It was part of the tradition I grew up in.

I respect and defer when words and actions are, in my meager judgement, enriching the ecosphere.
I once passed out at a extremely crowded crossroad, where much admired metal objects of desire poisoned the air.

I have also spoken up, to my own detriment, when I have seen the narrowness of the action and speech.

Perhaps Mr. Shetterly is giving us additional ammunition for a day in the future. A day in which the suits may also come to the table.

The immense discontent that the well provided for face today, the impoverished amongst us have known forever.

The vision of personal gain has, in the sphere of the marketplace (which is today the globe), has squashed the common good. Almost always.

A few crumbs to placate the masses may well see us go back to our old ways of death and destruction.(which, by the way, are also a necessary evil in tradition).

What we do not have are permanent instruments of accountability. To prevent a descent into a new bourgeoisie after revolution. Regardless of color of skin or simplicity of attire.

Forgive my skepticism. I have not been able to influence my family or my best friends.

And I greatly respect my fellow bubble dwellers here.

Great thanks for this brilliant and elegant essay of such critical importance that encompasses so much - especially at this time of existential choice.
Those who attempt to live humbly and in harmony with the Natural World - living Gaia and Her creatures - have longed for this message to be written large and loud across the sky and waters for all to realize - for as long as - well, for as long as we have been active, conscious, and concerned - sometimes with input from substances that can and often do wash us clean.

The majesty and wonder of the Natural world and its myriad life-forms can bring great joy, ecstasy and love - the effort of those millions of years - while the contempt, greed, arrogance, and exploitation shown by humanity generally brings great sorrow and anger at the vast gulf between the two visions…

4 Likes

What about antigenic original sin?