Home | About | Donate

White Supremacists, Armed With Tiki Torches and Hate, Denounced at UVA

and @raydelcamino, please don’t get all agitated about your presumptions. The permitted demonstration today is being broken up after it descended into actual violence and the Gov. declared it “unlawful assembly.”

At the request of a leader of the Presbyterian Church (USA)'s Peace Fellowship, I’ve posted this on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/barbara-kellam-scott/remember-that-theyve-come-to-defend-a-statue/1525823730773767/

Maybe you should go out and join a pro-inclusivity march as a pre-emptive strike for decency.

We just had a gay-pride picnic in my city, everyone welcome, lots of people sowed up.
It was fun and a resounding signal that our town celebrates diversity and loves everyone.
Once upon a time, civil rights protestors were attacked–and the ACLU defended their freedom of speech.
Is that what you’re afraid of, Yunzer? Freedom?

I note that anti-white nationalist counter protestors are out in force in Charlottesville. Good for them.

Does anyone know why they were yelling “blood and soil”? Does it relate to their white, southern, Confederate family histories and are they partially reacting to the recent removal of Confederate symbols and statues? I am sure white supremacists have a lot of “reasons” for their racist mindset but I am curious to know why they used this specific language.

Let’s remember that what happened in Germany was more or less a 10-20 years period. But what has happened in US is more or less a 100-200 years period before (and after that) which has had even more brutal and sustained systemic fascist elements, both slavery + post slavery, brutal police and military state, vast prison system, vast exploitation and colonizing system, unlimited commercial exploitation of human life, and more. So, yes, we can make some comparisons with Germany, but very mild. As we have been and still are much worse than Germany in many regards - but just like the Germans at the time - our indoctrination and deep ignorance blind our eyes.

Blood and soil apparently comes from the Nazis; “Blood and Soil (German: Blut und Boden) refers to a racist ideology that focuses on ethnicity based on two factors, descent blood (of a folk) and territory. It celebrates the relationship of a people to the land they occupy and cultivate, and it places a high value on the virtues of rural living.” It’s good to know what the racists and Nazis are really saying.

Thanks for the clarification, @Ithurielspear. I’m now prepared to ask those fools about the blood-and-soil connections of Native Americans.

But the provocation for the “actions” in Charlottesville was the City Council renaming “Robert E. Lee Park” as “Emancipation Park” and scheduling removal of the General’s statue. I guess it was just one symbol for their team too many.

How is this march of white supremacists really any different than the way the Violator in Chief and many US politicians think, act, and speak towards non-white nations like North Korea, Syria, Iran, Venezuela, etc.? Isn’t white supremacism and related but subtler worldviews of white western supremacy really more pervasive throughout the US and its government, although it might be expressed in varying forms? We can be deceived into thinking that the mindset is not more widespread by the relatively small crowds of white racists such as the one at this march.

Just out of curiosity, why was UVA, a private university, compelled to grant a permit to these terrorists? Did they use a student group as a front to apply? Could a group of anarchists and atheists compel Bob Jones University or Liberty University to allow a rally on their campuses?

I wanna know who “allowed” them to carry lit tiki torches, when other protesters can’t even use sticks to hold their signs (weapons, you know).

Yes, provided they express it peacefully, and not aggressively. Unfortthunately, they often seem to have a tendency to use tactics of intimidation and aggressive behavior. Some of them openly condone violence. You need to look no farther than Trump rallies to confirm this.

Dylan Roof and the KKK being the ultimate examples, of course.

Why did the marchers use a Nazi slogan if they were largely protesting the scheduled removal of a Confederate general’s statue? I have never seen General Lee described or made equivalent to the Nazis, per se, even given the history of slavery in the South. If the marchers fear loss of their Confederate history why don’t they address that rather than use Nazi slogans? Perhaps, some of the less virulently racist marchers might be able to lessen their hatred if they could see “their problem” from a different viewpoint. While slavery, racism, the KKK, etc. were obviously all very harmful things to black Americans, perhaps some of these lost, young, white people who grew up in the South need some kind of recognition, if that is the right way to express it, of their history, which someone like Lee represents. Perhaps, I am asking, how can people in these southern states continue to recognize these difficult aspects of their history but without creating more hatred towards non-white people?

As William Faulkner famously said; “The Past isn’t dead. It isn’t even past.”.

You think they’ve thought through their ideologies rationally?

It’s fear that drives them, pure irrational panic. They’ve got their feelings hurt and are lashing out like pouting children. Except, for instance, this time they’re in a state with open-carry laws. I’m looking for a photo of one of them with his long gun that I can share with the NRA every time I hear the “good guy with a gun” chant.

If it was the police, which is likely, then it shows that they support the racist message as well. This is the problem with so-called free speech in the US of A. It is how the police allow you to express your speech that often indicates how free you really are. Take free speech zones as an example. The police will allow you to have free speech but only in this little cage miles away from some political event.

From Wikipedia,

“Though free speech zones existed prior to the Presidency of George W. Bush, it was during Bush’s presidency that their scope was greatly expanded.[3] These zones have continued through the presidency of Barack Obama; he signed a bill in 2012 that expanded the power of the Secret Service to restrict speech and make arrests.[4]”

I believe the permit was for today in a city park. It was recently renamed from “Robert E. Lee Park” to “Emancipation Park,” and the City Council had also voted to remove Lee’s statue (actually, I just got to see it, and the horse is magnificent). Not sure exactly where the town/gown boundaries are, but the first and last police seen on scene today were VA state troopers.

I.m pretty sure that UVA is a State institution, therefore Public.

The sad history is many of these monuments were not erected immediately after the war, as memorials, but in the 1920s, the last time the country was in thrall of major anti-immigrant hysteria. They were explicit reminders of white supremacy. And that’s the thing about this last election that’s so unnerving. As Martin Longman has noted repeatedly after looking at demographics etc., as much as the Left has discussed “distractions,” white people in certain areas, not typical voters, came out for cultural reasons that had little to do with Medicare-for-all, Bernie, whatnot. They came out based on race and culture, BLM resentment, and to vote against “liberals” whatever their affiliation and differences. In this way, the Left has constructed its own distraction, right or wrong. Unless some of these voters stay home again or start voting third party again, the House is going to be a tough uphill in 2018.

Either way, given US history, we shouldn’t be surprised by what we are seeing. The first Black president was bound to lead to major white resentment one way or another.

Question is are you a nationalist if you are marching for a monument celebrating rebellion from the nation you once belonged? Or, are you a nationalist for that other nation, one explicitly founded on white power and slavery? Or, are you a nationalist because you have a fond sentiment for the post-reconstruction South (and other areas of the country), where the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments of the US Consitution–you know, the thing that makes our country and what civil servants and military are sworn to defend–existed in name only, supported ultimately by a racist “constructionist” Court?

Indeed, this is a 1924 statue at issue. I think Lee looks sad.

I think Lee’s horse looks sad.