Home | About | Donate

White Supremacy Is the Pre-existing Condition

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/06/19/white-supremacy-pre-existing-condition

Yes, yes, and yes. But beyond this we must truly educate EVERYONE in civics and economics so that society can function. The dumbing down of America must be abated. Period. Or things are going to get much much worse. Only an educated populace can propel this nation forward. Go back and read Thomas Jefferson (“An educated citizenry is a vital requisite for our survival as a free people.”) if you don’t believe me.

1 Like

Something to consider:

WHY “WHITE SUPREMACIST CAPITALIST PATRIARCHY?”

h-ttps://garconniere.tumblr.com/post/5548519811/why-white-supremacist-capitalist-patriarchy

Bell Hooks explains how white supremacy, imperialism, capitalism and patriarchy are interlocking systems of domination that define our reality:

h-ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUpY8PZlgV8

Words matter. I don’t think you can leave out patriarchy when speaking of white supremacy.

“As a system of class rule, patriarchy cannot be separated from white supremacy and empire.” (h_ttps://www.blackagendareport.com/theory-101-patriarchy-structure-white-supremacist-class-rule-under-imperialism)

3 Likes

Good stuff!

1 Like

While I agree with many things in the second piece I linked, I’ve got some thoughts about the black agenda report article when the author writes:

"Bourgeois feminists defend the status of women such as Hillary Clinton and Madeleine Albright despite their histories as war-mongers and servants of Wall Street. It doesn’t matter how many Black men, women, and children have suffered from Clinton policies or the fact that Albright claimed it was worth it to kill a half a million Iraqi children by way of starvation sanctions. Bourgeois feminists believe that women should be celebrated no matter the class position they occupy or the crimes they commit against the people.

Bourgeois feminism is white feminism."

I would have to add Condoleezza Rice right next to HRC and Albright.
Susan Rice may be up there as well.

4 Likes

Great article, and its eight solutions are spot on. As usual, however, it identifies racial discrimination with the even more pervasive and persistant economic hegemony of the bourgeois. This is quite understandable, given the history of racial chattel slavery in the USA, but the broader historical context remains. For example, the Roman empire was always a highly unequal and imperialistic society in which slavery was central to the economy, but neither slavery nor even economic class was based strictly on race, though they were largely hereditary. I am not aware of a broader historical study of this distinction, but note that most of the eight solutions proposed here actually address the hereditary nature of economic class more generally.

1 Like