Home | About | Donate

Who Calls Anyone Civilized?

Who Calls Anyone Civilized?

Cathy Breen

Naomi Shihab Nye is a poet and professor of Creative Writing at Texas State. Her father was Palestinian and a refugee journalist. In one of her poems after 9/11, entitled “Blood,” she writes:

I call my father, we talk around the news.
It is too much for him,
neither of his two languages can reach it.
I drive into the country to find sheep, cows,
to plead with the air:
Who calls anyone civilized?
Where can the crying heart graze?
What does a true Arab do now?

Thank You for this necessary reminder of one of the Duopoly’s wars. And to those ‘progressives’ who claim that U.S. foreign interventions are just ‘issues’ like any other and it doesn’t matter that Bernie, Liz et. al. ignore and/or support them, you really ought have another think about the words ‘progressive’ - or even ‘social democracy.’ Complicity in mass murder and human degradation is a true crime against humanity.

I couldn’t agree, more. It is a total contradiction and abuse of the label to claim to be progressive and then support war, the murder of innocents and wholesale destruction of entire countries and, yes, that includes Bernie “I’m no pacifist” Sanders. When the likes of Hillary Clinton claims that she’ll match her progressive credentials with anyone, it really is time to find a new label. As with the term, civilization, it really has become a label with little substance.

We destroyed a functioning, relatively prosperous society. Millions of lives have been lost, and families forever destroyed and an ancient culture oblierated as a direct result
of our criminal actions, Their country is gone, never to return. These people did nothing to deserve this. History will not be kind to us.

I am reminded of the phrase ‘you cannot kill an idea’.
The tragedy of the the strategy of ‘overwhelming force’ - the only ‘ultimate’ that the materialist predation model of “economy” seems capable of envisioning, is that it is an ongoing, totally dissociative, suicidal psychosis that can do only one thing on its own: intensify. This should perhaps be presented to those who think it merely venial to collude with distorted premises for some [dissociated] notion of personal gain, a greater good down the road, sometime in the future, or rationalizations about ‘plausible deniability’.

The origins of ‘oikos’, long scorned by the fatally flawed predation premise, are the balances, constant adjustments to equilibrium; the heartbeat, wind and rain, mycelial components of living interrelated processes.

‘Why’ these origins are scorned is an important question that we must require that representatives once again include in the reasoning of questions posed in hearings to people like Bolton. I would submit that his practices continue to flourish because neo-liberals since Clinton first think themselves cleverer than clever by pulling the wool over various eyes. I would remind them that ‘clever’ is a criticism, something far short of ‘intelligent’. It implies that rather than listening for justice, it is listening for advantage. Hence you have the smarmy “I feel your pain” bs. And that was ‘clever’ for the deceptive mileage and profit used by Clintons and their “foundation”, as has been proven in spades with much greater investigation still an appropriate measure, IMHO.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn once wrote:

"In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers, we are not simply protecting their trivial old age, we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations."

To all the clever politicians out there, are you listening?

A thing of beauty.
Congrats for this communication.

A civilization blind to its pervasive contradictions is collapsing.
The stock market and GDP go up while millions suffer needlessly for greed and hegemony.
The endless proliferation of this corruption creates the illusion of manifesting civilization. This appearance is as deceptive as the moon reflecting in water. “Look! There is a second moon! We are growing and creating a new market!”
Then the wind blows. No second moon is visible!