I agree. I will note, however, that Hillary Clinton has expressed a more sociopathic militarism. To wit, regarding the torture and killing of Ghaddafi: “We came. We saw. He died. Ha Ha Ha.” Also, unlike Sanders, who condemned the US plans to spend $1 trillion to ‘upgrade’ nuclear weapons, Hillary Clinton has only said that she “may oppose” this.
Yet, while Hillary Clinton has embraced a hawkish approach to foreign policy as one of her core strengths, Bernie Sanders has embraced socialism.
I would like to hear, from Sanders or his advisers, how socialism is consistent with the increased military spending and the social toll resulting from:
- Proposed military action in Lybia.
- The US military support for the Saudia war on the Yemeni people.
- Plans to increase military bases in Africa.
- The continuation of the US drone and crowd killing campaigns.
- The commitment to continue a worldwide ‘war’ on the Islamic State.
How is the continuation of a federal budget allocation, in which over half the discretionary spending (over half a trillion dollars) goes to the military, consistent with socialism?