Home | About | Donate

Who Cares Who the Secretary of Agriculture Is?

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/12/02/who-cares-who-secretary-agriculture

3 Likes

Absolutely zero chance that Biden would pick a “reformer” for this position. Big Ag despises the little guy and Joe is their man to keep a lid on it.
A key to winning the rural vote is for Progressives to form a third Party that places farmers ahead of Big Ag. This hasn’t been done since Eugene Debbs and is a big reason rural America hates both corporate party’s. As farmers get replaced with slaves via the prison industrial complex and part-time, imported, low income workers from depressed Latino countries to ensure that we get factory farmed animals, GM crops and a ‘Wall Street first’ approach to agriculture, the situation will only get worse.
The major obstacle to this reformed approach though is generations of successful brainwashing by corporate America to dumb down the general population. Everything from distorted history books to systemic racism denial have convinced many rural Americans to opt for wild conspiracy theories manufactured by our corporate State which blames any and everyone for the collective misery of farmers …with the lone exception of the corporation. Government is the only solution, but a government ‘for and by the people’ rather than this evil cabal that is currently calling the shots that can bring over due justice to our farmers.

8 Likes

Who cares? I do! HENRY WALLACE!

5 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree with all you posit. SOS. The status quo CANNOT continue. A percentage of our population admits to resorting to sharing pet food with their pets. Corporate Big Pet Food/USDA/FDA/AAFCO criminal lack of standards/oversight have been killing/poisoning family pet companions, livestock and humans for many decades. Untold millions of dollars to vet-kickbacks (corporate-sponsored Vet School “Nutritionists”). “Mad Cow Disease?” Corn & diseased carcasses for all, even if undigestible/inappropriate? Same with toxic fallout of “convenient” highly processed food for human consumption.

The consequences of doing nothing are truly dire. Suspect it’s intentional.

4 Likes

PS: The History Channel’s short series “The Food That Built America” is revelatory, as is The Atlantic’s essay on Hills Brothers Coffee, et al. evolution & oppression…

There is a long history of assassination of leaders who moved to work for the ordinary citizen and were not compliant with the wishes of the petrochemical, and other greedy corporations within the boundaries of this country and many others. But most people on CDs already know about this. The only way change is possible is storming of the bastille or its equivalent.

5 Likes

The EPA, FDA, FCC, and most other agencies which were formed to regulate our land, air water, health and food are corrupted and almost worthless because of changes and lack of funds to do the jobs that were created to do.
Many articles and books have been written about the failure of our food system. (along with educational and health systems that are little more than an office and addresses on letterheads) The only change I see is that a small amount of people are growing their own food and those who can afford to buy organic when possible. Who wants to eat glyphosate with their bread?

Maine became the first state to register the People’s Party. From their website, “Next, the team in Maine will register at least 5,000 members to the People’s Party over the next year to achieve ballot access”

4 Likes

I agree with Hightower about the importance of this cabinet post, but was expecting some recommendations of people to fill the position.

2 Likes

I suspect Jim Hightower would be happy with Marcia Fudge (D-Ohio), as the next Ag Sec.
“A fierce advocate for those who find themselves in hard times.”
She’s bound to be better than former Sen. Heidi Heitkamp.

(h)ttps://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/major-unions-back-fudge-for-agriculture-secretary/ar-BB1bkco6

2 Likes

If only we could clone Henry Wallace or Jim Hightower.

1 Like

The true definition of “certified organic” is being bastardized and diluted by Big Ag/donors/lobbyists, aided and abetted by governmental bad actors. Small growers/farmers face nearly insurmountable costs and endless red tape (obstruction), when attempting truly organic certification. Reference The Cornucopia Institute, Real Organic News, Center for Food Safety, Association for Truth in Pet Food, and others. The public at large rarely has a clue.

5 Likes

What you say is correct and in general the consumer is not aware of the problems the producers face but they do know that the costs are mirrored in the price of certified organic foods. The competition from the Petrochemical-agri-industry is overwhelming to small growers. Those with money are mostly unethical, witness the dispute when the Organic Growers Ass accepted Genetic Modification foods . Correct me if needed but the Organic Consumer Ass is responsible for NGMO labels used to clarify foods produced without GMOs and not the Organic Growers which folded as a result of the pressure from lobbyist and government interference.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. My RAM error!

1 Like

Forgot to mention Environmental Working Group/ewg.org.

1 Like

Oh and thank you for the references. It is always good to be informed. What we eat is important to who we are plus all those other factors.

1 Like

I later realized that Hightower might be willing to accept this job – which is likely why he didn’t recommend anyone else.

From Wikipedia: "From 1983 to 1991 [Hightower] served as the elected commissioner of the Texas Department of Agriculture…

His tenure was noted for fostering organic production, alternative crops, direct marketing by small farmers…"

Maybe someone should put in a word to Biden.

1 Like

That’s true, I first started reading the writings produced by Hightower when he was the TX. Ag. Commissioner. He did a fine job of trying to navigate a reasonable path for sustainable and organic farming practices, in a sea of conventual farming practice laws. He wasn’t always successful, but did his best.

1 Like