Home | About | Donate

Who Is Bombing Who in the Middle East?

Who Is Bombing Who in the Middle East?

Robert Fisk

Let me try to get this right. The Saudis are bombing Yemen because they fear the Shia Houthis are working for the Iranians. The Saudis are also bombing Isis in Iraq and the Isis in Syria. So are the United Arab Emirates. The Syrian government is bombing its enemies in Syria and the Iraqi government is also bombing its enemies in Iraq.

"And then, of course, there are the really big winners in all this blood, the weapons manufacturers Raytheon and Lockheed".

That is the scenario for the Fourth Reich's foreign policies. Chavez was correct when he used the metaphor of US foreign policy as dracula. Amerika is in the war business and has been in the war business for over 100 years. It cannot survive without the innocent blood of so many that I have lost count.

They cry peace through strength; peace with honor; or some other BS, like we are bringing them ( fill in the blank ) freedom and democracy. When peace is total anathema to arms manufacturers!

"Washington does not accept law, neither domestic or international as a constraint on its actions. Washington is the exceptional indispensable. No one else counts. No law, no Constitution, and no humane consideration has authority to constrain Washington's will.

IN ITS CLAIMS WASHINGTON SURPASSES THAT OF THE THIRD REICH."
Paul Craig Roberts.

When I started using the term "Military Industrial Cannibal", I thought, you know Po, maybe that is a little over the top. Alas no. Chavez was right, Dracula maybe Satan himself (well good ole Hugo used that metaphor when he smelled sulphur at the UN) is alive and thriving in Washington, DC, the Blackest Hole of Evil. The real trouble with our murderous Nazi scum is that they care not for any semblance of order, just the Dollar. Empire of Chaos indeed.
PCR was correct.
Sorry,whew, I needed to rant.

Thanks for your cogent reply. But so many "good Americans" remain asleep and that this is how it must of felt to the awake Germans during the Third Reich when so many "good Germans" thanked their troops for their service!

I can't recall the title by Dr. Seuss (who I regard as a Master Teacher) in a story penned to illustrate to children the absolute inanity of war.

THIS is what it comes down to:

"And then, of course, there are the really big winners in all this blood, the weapons manufacturers. Raytheon and Lockheed Martin supplied £1.3bn of missiles to the Saudis only last year. But three years ago, Der Spiegel claimed the European Union was Saudi Arabia’s most important arms supplier and last week France announced the sale of 24 Rafale fighter jets to Qatar at a cost of around £5.7bn. Egypt has just bought another 24 Rafales."

When elites control too much of the fiscal pie and millions struggle oppressively for their daily bread, then LOTS of resentment builds up. Part of the reason for spreading misery (via economic constraints that represent war on a different level) is that it doesn't take much to use it to inflame ancient tribal antipathies.

Mistaking motive (a culling of the human herd crossed with elites gaining geo-political advantages and access to oil and other precious resources) with complicated versions of who opposes who, makes it impossible for persons to understand what's really going on in foreign lands or "theaters of war."

If war profiteering were outlawed, and weapons manufacturers recognized as the real threat to sentient life, very different taboos and laws would come into place.

It's time for Mars, god of war, NOT to hold this level of dominance over human society.

I wish that you and others would cease and desist from coupling The War Department and its financial partners from "Americans," or suggesting that WE, meaning U.S. citizens of all stripes, are IN the war business.

The nature of a dominator society is such that those who don't conform to it--or tolerate it--are imprisoned, killed, humiliated, socially marginalized, stigmatized, or banned from work.

It is not America that is in the war business. It is those sects tied to the military-industrial-complex.

Views that purposely leave out those who work for peace and those who oppose war either purposely or inadvertently promote very dangerous propaganda.

After all, how different is it for posters like you (who appear to know better as noted in some of your comments) who use this uniform frame from a corporate media that works overtime to render voices that oppose war invisible? Both sets of media feature dominant individuals who push the same meme. And it is a false one.

Just as they teach in the 12 Step Programs that one must OWN the problem in order to heal it, by rendering invisible all those who SEE the War-Problem you thwart the overdue process of massive catharsis... precursor to any genuine transformation of values.

I am speaking for those too long not spoken for.

The voice of uniformity--which arguably states that whatever power (and make no mistake about it, pro-war MIC interests and weapons-makers fit that designation) does belongs to all --grants to dissenters no voice and thereby maintains the LIE that there is no alternative.

Change only happens when people recognize that there are alternatives. If everyone thought alike or agreed with the policies of military-based dominators, change would be impossible. That's why I've spent a good deal of time pointing out the erroneous nature of this Talking Point or frame. It ultimately works to sustain the status quo. Is that what YOU want?

Mr. Roberts specified Washington in his quote. As many in this forum have noted, ours is a Vichy Democracy at best. Since citizens' interests, views, needs, and polled opinions mean nothing, Washington does not speak for All Americans or that singular homogenous collective, "WE."

The US is like a giant spider sucking out the vital juices of many parts of planet Earth. Its military corporations can't get enough contracts for its busy factories. For how long will these obscene profits mount up? For how long will people suffer so the Americans can make money? When will the day of retribution come?

Excellent story from Robert Fisk. Bless his work and his accurate reporting. Truly, many Americans are asleep. It is not pleasant to contemplate our moral crimes and our unlawful acts around the globe. Too difficult to admit the truth and stop the distractions of sports mania, popular culture, TV and just plain worrying about how to fee the family or get affordable housing.

I spent 15 years in the Peace Movement and stuggle against war at every opportunity. A well heeled woman sitting next to me at a cultural event said: "We are in the military". This was said just as if it was an ordinary career and acceptable. That was the end of the conversation. Finally I had to leave in disgust and I told her off for the 500,000 dead Iraqis.

Also I ran into one of our diplomats who works in Afghanistan. He was telling some people how things were getting better over there because of us. I replied: "Yo mean they are all dead and we can have their minerals and an oil pipeline?"

Whenever I hear a complaint about lack of social services I remind people that there is always money for war. Be bold my friends and show how war is unacceptable.

"The Butter Battle Book"

Really, Mister Fisk, the correct usage is, Who Is Bombing Whom.

With shoddy use of language, sir, you, sir, as one G. Orwell pointed out some time ago, are part of the problem.