Home | About | Donate

Who’s Afraid of Greta Thunberg?

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/11/04/whos-afraid-greta-thunberg

3 Likes

Greta is very Gandhian.

5 Likes

Greta’s most telling gesture of late was declining any further awards. That counts for something: Greta herself expresses the wisdom that this isn’t about leaders or moral examplars, it’s enough for all of us to be liberated to simply voice the same truths, to at least hear the imperative implications of the future-theft to which her generation has been subjected.

Please, let’s not subject this young woman to the abuse our system inevitably inflicts along with adoration. She needs space to become herself now without all the Michael Jackson static.

7 Likes

Hi Aleph_Null:
I think that Greta does have it handled. She is focused and specific, more than most in Congress, Aspergers has made her a very focused person. Her committment is in her voice and her reactions------she is the most mentally organized person I have seen in a long time.The best thing though, is that she is showing the younger generations, to stand up for themselves, and for the Earth at the same time! : )

8 Likes

Greta has also begun to be recognised in Latin America. The urgency of social and economic crises in many countries in the region forces the environmental issues to take a back seat. The Swedish teenager announced in December 2019 she will travel from the United States to Chile for COP 25. We still don’t know how she will make the trip without producing polluting emissions. The trip is further than her trip from Europe to New York and there are no train lines that connect to two areas. This, for now, remains unclear. Regardless, it is assumed that this new challenge will bring Greta closer to the enormous social problems of Latin America. The trip to Chile will open her eyes to a different reality, very different from the ones she knows, a reality that hopefully helps her to see more clearly the extent to which environmental and economic issues are two sides of the same coin.

COP 25 has been moved from Chile to Madrid, Spain. Which is kind of sad, since the writer of this article is from Buenos Aires, is obviously a fan of Greta and was looking forward to having her visit her neck of the world.
So I wonder what Greta will do. Will she sail back across the Atlantic?

2 Likes

I read somewhere that she is seeking transportation to Spain and the dates of the meeting are in early december.

2 Likes

I’m convinced that the Democrats finally started impeachment proceedings to distract from Greta’s message:

'People are dying. Entire ecosystems are collapsing. We are in the beginning of a mass extinction. And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth. How dare you !’

Greta’s message, and the struggle to really mitigate climate change, is a direct challenge to capitalism.

And the Democrats cannot allow that. Thus, impeachment…and thus a new, distracting reality show begins…

2 Likes

Yes. I believe it was M.K. Gandhi who said “First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you, and then you win.”

Actually, it was the 19th-century German philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer who declared: “All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident.”

1 Like

Taking a small sailing yacht across the N. Atlantic with winter coming on is a dubious prospect even if there was enough time.

Freighter-passenger passage is unlikely to be available and too slow.

The only possible way to get to Madrid is flying. Greta should stop being so hard-headed about this.

Yes, that quote is often misattributed. I thought it was Saul Alinsky myself…

“I’m convinced that the Democrats finally started impeachment proceedings to distract from Greta’s message:”
Also all the impeachment talk distracts the sheeple from feelin’ the Bern - a twofer in their eyes. Its not working tho, and it wouldn’t be the 1st time the PtB underestimated the sheeple.

Bernie is pro-war, pro-imperialist, pro-military. You can’t address Global Warming while simultaneously burning the earth to a cinder. Bernie is a textbook Trojan Horse.

I will have to disagree this time. Litmus test: Bernie’s vote against operation OIL in Iraq. And wouldn’t you agree he’s the best chance we’ve had in generations to be able to role back some of the sickening amounts we give to the MIC (one of the largest contributors to GHG)?

1 Like

That is quite the profound statement. I have the feeling that she would like that comparison. I know I would.

The system will try to destroy her, just like any other person who stands against it. And it may destroy her like it has others. Because she has chosen to stand up against it. I hope that we are liberated to voice the same truths. Because so far we are losing and I fear the world we leave to her and her generation. I don’t see us changing course.

1 Like

Well, I’ve heard about at least one solar-powered plane.