Home | About | Donate

Who Should Clean Up Big Ag's Mess?

Who Should Clean Up Big Ag's Mess?

Home Page Author: 
Katherine Paul

A “Cow Palace” in Washington State threatens public health with its acres of untreated animal waste.

A city in Iowa spends nearly $1 million a year to keep illness-causing nitrates, generated by farm runoff, out of public drinking water.

And who can forget the plight of Toledo, Ohio, residents whose water last summer was so contaminated by farm runoff that they couldn’t even bathe in it, much less drink it?

Thanks for the beautiful post! The "flying rivers" generated by rainforest transpiration is a phenomenon just about any indigenous group in the Amazon will recount for you in the scope of ancient myths and social-spiritual traditions that inform ways of life "down to the smallest bug". I'm reminded of Davi Kapenowa's book (ten years in the writing) "The Falling Sky"' - that turns on it's head the dismissal of chicken little scorn born of colonizing 'exceptionalism'. The man is a 'living treasure' as they say in Japan.
Also indicative of the import/export are the top-down financial speculation driven decisions in the hydrographic regions of annual rainfall and drought where cisterns provide the bridge for small communities and farms. The Rousseff and Lula administrations wanted to ship plastic (oil based) cisterns rather than building in-place, employing people for long-lasting masonry cisterns. The list just goes on and on on false "GDP" metrics dragging feudal configurations that are zombies thousands of years old.

It is truly painful to be awake in these times. I earned my living in education related to the environment. Rolled up my sleeves and fought the system when I could. But old man river, it keeps on rollin' along... Wish I could be more upbeat, but I am still resisting a lobotomy.

Hauling and spreading manure in thousands of fields in the proper quantities for organic agriculture would be a good. But it would endanger Big Chemical Agro's profits and the bribes of politicians in their pocket.

Well put. All else being equal, the less animal products a person consumes, along with eating a plant based diet sans added fats, and sugars. Even cutting out meat a few times a week can be helpful. Your body, the planet and other sentient beings will thank you. That, and the raising of animals for slaughter simply isn't sustainable...