Home | About | Donate

Who Will Lead the Anti-Trump Resistance?

Who Will Lead the Anti-Trump Resistance?

Richard Eskow

The Donald Trump Administration hasn’t even started, and the President-elect is already unpopular. Only 42 percent of those polled in this “honeymoon” period approve of Trump. Voters were split (46-45 percent) on their approval or disapproval of his transition process.

I appreciate all that Bernie Sanders does. However, we will need more than democrats to fight the good fight. Dems are too beholding to Big Money to fully embrace the kind of resistance we need.
The population as to wake up now and get involved so when the time comes, and it will, they will all be ready to stand up.

Since the 1985 formation of the Democratic Leadership Council (DLC) The Democratic Party has prioritized sustaining its billion dollar annual corporate money infusion over "mobilizing their base and winning back lost voters".

So far, the only resistance that has scared Trump has been taken by Jill Stein and the Green Party. She has shown the courage and decisiveness that the moment demands. Obama, on the other hand, has become our version of Marechal Petain in trying to minimize the effects of the occupation. Of the Democrats mentioned, most are worthless hacks like Cuomo, corrupt themselves and easily brought onto the Trump gravy train.

Warren and Sanders are good especially because they owe no loyalty to the moribund Democratic structure and might add their weight to a new organized national resistance built around the Green Party. On a negative note, I tend to doubt the writer's assertion that Trump's followers can be easily persuaded to give him up even if their last social security check bounces. Hatred is a powerful drug and once tasted , the addiction can be total and often persists to the final overdose.

I remember well the feeling in the US of "revolution in the air" during the Vietnam War. The nation returned to complacency once that war winded down. The desire for peace and justice never regained the same level even during the disastrous wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. I think that this is mainly due to the lack of an independent media.

Maybe the silver lining of the Trump Presidency will be that the US people will finally take back their government once things, including the environment, get bad enough. Unfortunately, it will be too late by then as climate change has already reached the irreversible tipping point.

Leaders are a problem. Take Bernie for example. We all thought he was professor Dumbledore leading the charge against Death Eaters. Then he stopped and campaigned for a wolf in sheep's clothing considered a lesser evil.

Democrats have been spared the publicity of watching she who lost form a cabinet of war mongers and bankers intent on austerity.

Leaderless autonomous democracy will have people leading certain tasks but too much is a stake for a leader to be threatened or killed and then the real unclaimed people's political revolution will have to start all over.

Leaders are a many faceted problem to be avoided in this age of handsome and beautiful leaders.

I would amend your last sentence to include "celebrity" leaders.

Standing up takes practice. Trump's cabinet picks have made it imperative that any attempts to "normalize" a Trump presidency be resisted from the gitgo.

Reminds me of the Monte Python movie where the knight is guarding a bridge and his legs and arms have been sliced off and he has a torso left and he's challenging the attackers saying "come back and fight like a man." At least those are the words how I remember.

No one. It's not going to happen. Decades of work went into systematically splitting us apart by class and race, pitting us against each other, middle class vs. poor, black vs. white. The liberal message of the past 20 years has consisted of calls to protect the advantages of the better off alone, the middle class, with an occasional "BLM!" thrown in for good measure.

We have a poverty crisis, not just a low wage problem. The majority of US poor are white. The majority of victims of police violence have been white/poor. All of these have simply been disappeared, not considered worth discussing. We who are more fortunate are often just hanging on, hoping for the best, praying we don't lose our means of income.We'd love to wage a revolution, but can't get enough time off from work.

Who are "we," and what do we want? You need to consider just how deeply we have been split apart, especially over the past 20 years. Would it shock you to hear that protecting the many advantages of the middle class is not a top priority for much of the country? Masses of those who still have jobs are teetering on a tightrope with no safety net below.

The great majority of the lowest 10 percentile of net worth is black or Hispanic.

Bernie IS leading the resistance, as is shown daily, if you look for it.

Otherwise, the Bernie Blackout is still in full force, including in this article.

Corporate, Party Hack Cuomo?

Cory, Party Hack, Booker?

Please...

I don't do it everyday, but when I repost something on FB (I only associate with 10 people), it is usually something Bernie has said from the Bernie Sanders or Our Revolution: New Mexico for Bernie Sanders pages; I will continue to do it as he is still the only politician speaking for my values from an economic standpoint. I want nothing to do with the Democratic party as long as the neoliberal and neoconservatives are in power.

How about Oprah Winfrey? She stands for family values, honesty, fair play, and she built a multi-billion $ industry from nothing. Plus, she is a proven survivor and leader, and on so many levels.