Home | About | Donate

Who's Paying for the Democratic Convention?

Who's Paying for the Democratic Convention?

Nikil Saval

Philadelphia is gearing up for the Democratic National Convention with its signature brand of bad taste. Everywhere I look, from the doorstep of the brownstone-and-brick Union League on Broad Street to the central courtyard of the ornate City Hall, I see fiberglass donkeys, the mascot of the Democratic Party.

I hate to be glib, but our children are paying for it and we are paying for it. Corporations get their revenue from us, non-profit organizations get their funds from us. It is a convention sure enough, but it remains to be seen how small "d" democratic it will be conducted.

Time to Occupy Philly!

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Comcast VP David Cohen sez: "I don't see the public interest in knowing who the donors are.”

Upton Sinclair sez: “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”

Due to a long chain of betrayals, when I see the donkeys around town I think, "Jackasses!" How apropos!

Link to download PDF of the report cited in the article from the Campaign Legal Center, “Funding the Conventions: How a Trickle of Money Turned Into a Flood,”

We get to tell our grandchildren the story of the Trojan ass.

A quintessentially Democratic convention

Take the fiberglass donkeys to Burning Man next month and burn them.