Home | About | Donate

Why All Working People Should Support the Iran Deal

Why All Working People Should Support the Iran Deal

Michael Eisenscher

This article is a joint publication of Foreign Policy In Focus and OtherWords.

This Labor Day, like others before it, finds American workers squeezed on many fronts. Inequality is rising, union membership is dwindling, and wages aren’t keeping up with job growth.

Naturally, addressing all those challenges is a huge priority for the labor movement. But this year, I’d like to add another: protecting the nuclear deal with Iran.

I've never lost a minute's sleep over Iran. Not even a second's.

"The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan together are projected to cost American taxpayers anywhere from $4 trillion to $6 trillion. And now the war on the Islamic State — a direct continuation of the last war in Iraq — has already racked up over $5.8 billion in costs, according to the National Priorities Project. And the tab’s running up at a rate of over $600,000 per hour."

Can you imagine where we'd be in the Mideast if we had used this money to employ locals there to build house, roads, schools etc. Think ISIS would have any base at all if we'd done that? Think we would have been unable to influence the governments we opposed had we invested in improving their infrastructure?

But no. Instead of improving lives abroad, or here, we poured the money into the military-industrial complex and got what we paid for - endless war and endless expenditure.

Peace is profitable:

http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/Opinion/2011/0711/Peace-is-profitable-time-for-the-US-to-invest

Thank you, Mr. Eisenscher... you're connecting the dots and taking up the banner where Dr. King left off. It's great news that through your organization you're spreading the Truth about the horrors of war and how they do NOTHING to fit the advertisements about "Defense" or "National Security." They make a few fat cats fatter and leave destruction on both sides of the Atlantic. In addition, as you (and Dr. King) pointed out, they cannibalize funds that would arguably substantially improve citizens' lives within the nation.

WE didn't pour a dime. It's called extortion, and no different from organized crime, if an entity empowered by greater firepower than YOU possess... uses that muscle to win media, politicians, church leaders, and so-called representatives (congress) to its cause and perspective... that $ is going to be taken.

A functioning Democracy that worked on the basis of actual input from citizens--sans mass media pro-war programming 24/7--would produce very different results.

It's tiring that you soldier boys and/or apologists for the Mars-ruled state cum empire work here daily to spin the lies that conflate one with the other. What part of inverted totalitarian system don't YOU get?

You know, as I was writing that I thought it might push your anti-"we meme" button. Sometimes it's just easier to express things using the collective responsibility frame.

I don't think the question of collective responsibility is as simple as you make it. To you there isn't any because we aren't in charge. You absolve those who voted for Bush twice of responsibility because they were lied to and misled.

Yet the fact of the matter is we far outnumber those who are running things. Were we to collectively rise up we could take the reins. But we don't.

So you, by giving everyone a pass, are actually contributing to the problem.

We may not bear all the responsibility but we certainly bear some of it.

Before 1991, people in Iraq had houses, schools, hospitals, nationalised health-care, clean water, universities and probably an adequate diet, so they probably didn't need USAiasn money to provide them with those as long as they could sell their oil freely. Yes, they had a vile USA-supported dictator too, but otherwise life seemed to be okay.

Just imagine what the USA's government could have done with that money for its own people back in the USA. Why, the USA could even have had a national health service as good as that in Iraq..............(or Cuba). And the USA is not the only country that has wasted and is wasting national capital on fighting wars in the Middle East

I should remind you that it is not up to the the USA to butt in on another poeple's land to employ people and build another people's infrastructure - that is still hated imperialism - as the British found that out in India. If they are particularly needy, we can make monetary contributions for the people in another land to hire their own engineers and build their own infrastructure. However, as George III commented, some of the victims of US imperialism had perfectly fine infrastructure - better than the US's (which as a civil engineer I will be the first to say that isn't saying much) before the US intervened. And also, we have too many pressing needs here at home.

This is a timely and inspiring piece. I wish the author would write another one on the use of National Endowment for Democracy and the Int'l AFL-CIO's role in the attempted overthrow(s) of the Venezuelan gov't during the Presidency of Hugo Chavez. They, both orgs., have also been implicated in the riots of 2013 and continued attacks on the democratically elected Maduro Administration. To paraphrase Madonna here, " Oil money changes everything. " Please look up ( edumacation ) who sits on this board and also on The Atlantic Council. These groups are the think tanks and business friends of free market capitalism for the wealth enhancement of the few. The real Corporatocracy which drives U.S. foreign policy and adversely affects the 99% in many subterranean ways, too. If you're following the money please follow where these two groups spend it. I support unions and peace all the time. And, not just when it pays me to. Politics does indeed make for strange bedfellows. Here's looking at you, kids.