Home | About | Donate

Why AOC Is Such a Terrific Member of Congress

Why AOC Is Such a Terrific Member of Congress

Jeffrey C. Isaac

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has taken Washington, D.C by storm.

She successfully ran an insurgent, grass-roots Congressional campaign. She is exceptionally bright. She is incredibly media savvy. She is hugely charismatic, because she is telegenic and photogenic, but also because she consistently seems to be a sincere, authentic, and truly nice and caring human being. In an age of bullshit, she is “real.” And she has the courage of her convictions.

She has thus quickly been embraced by the left, reviled by the right, and treated with enormous skepticism by the center.

4 Likes

Clone her!!

7 Likes

AOC would have made (and might still become?) a terrific trial lawyer. She has a natural gift for asking the right questions. Good lawyers know that it’s the questions, not the answers, that are the important thing to know. When you ask the right questions, the answers will eventually come out. If you fail to ask the right questions…well, you just never get to know anything.

4 Likes

You needed to look more carefully:

Although AOC’s response is not a full-throated defense of Ilian Omar comments, it is generally supportive of her and how she handled the blow back.

That said, I didn’t see any antisemitism in Omar’s remarks and thought those who denounced her were way out of line. In fact, she was spot on – money talks!

10 Likes

AOC’'s questioning of Cohen was surgical, and not the least bit bogged down in over-litigated issues. She got to the heart of more real dirt (the insurance and Trump foundation shenanigans!), which was the equivalent of a table setting assist to at least two committee’s. Take notice Nancy…this is how it’s done; and this is your successor.

9 Likes

Republicans, and Centrist Democrats, alike, better watch out . . . AOC will be 35 in 2024, and she is already the front-funner in my book!

7 Likes

Clone her as a 35 year old.

2 Likes

HI RockyMountain View: Yes AOC is wonderful, and those lawyer - like questioning qualities you mentioned are the same ones that make excellent teachers too , : )

4 Likes

She also knows how to conveniently drop campaigns such as Abolish ICE
She also knows how to support the Democratic Party establishment - endorsing Pelosi for Leader of the House
She also knows how not upset the Democratic Party establishment - not endorsing Bernie Sanders for 2020

Those supporting AOC should heed warnings of placing to much hope in one individual.

I don’t want you to follow me or anyone else. I would not lead you into the promised land if I could, because if I could lead you in, somebody else would lead you out.” - Eugene Debs

" I’m not a charismatic speaker, and if I had the capacity to be one I wouldn’t. I’m really not interested in persuading people. What I like to do is help people persuade themselves. " - Noam Chomsky

The Devil sweetens the poison with honey

“There are thousands hacking at the branches for the one hacking at the roots” - Henry David Rosseau.

1 Like

(sigh), you are correct in urging caution. But can’t we have a little hope now and then? Maybe it should be “hope, but verify”

4 Likes

I support your skepticism where AO-C is concerned but the examples of reasons to doubt her that you cite are pretty lame.

Should she have voted to continue the shutdown to make a symbolic statement about defunding ICE?
Who should she have voted for if not Pelosi, who I abhor? No one else was running for speaker.
Why should she endorse Bernie this early? He endorsed the d-party establishment, remember?

4 Likes

Yes she was magnificent, but the progressive Democrat who really blew my socks off was Ro Khanna. The “smoking gun” check of Trump’s he highlighted will be around for years, appearing everywhere from t-shirts to memes, to be branded on our consciousness. Folks, this is gangster capitalism at its creepiest! Here’s a clip from TYT showing Ro’s incredible performance. His piercing eagle eyes make me shudder.

2 Likes

All I see here is that you are SO full of vitriol and hatred, that you cannot comprehend nor SEE what actual brilliance IS, and seem incapable of recognizing ANYTHING beyond your own ego-driven ramblings.

You do not even know, or so it seems, that your words show yourself as shortsighted mini-mind who dares attack another about her intelligence.

BTW, thanks for all the enlightening photos. She has a colleague who eats … HAMburgers. Really?

3 Likes

:-). You’re reminding me of something a litigator said to me over 30 years ago: never ask a question you don’t already know the answer to. AOC has a question-hammer in each hand! Of course, her firebrand spirit is awesome, but I’m REALLY impressed by how damn comprehensively bright she is. I just hope she keeps her wits and humility about her because this kind of political publicity/adoration can be a pretty heady trip. She needs a good gyroscope, too, because the more attention she draws and the more threatening she becomes to the status quo, the more crap, read that sh*t, will be catapulted at her, nonstop.

2 Likes

Spend one month walking in her shoes and being able to catch or bat all the balls coming at her. ESPECIALLY at her age. Then critique her.

4 Likes

Yeah, he’s pretty awesome. I don’t respect many politicians, but he’s an exception.

Oh please tell us how you feel about the US military cutting back on beef and switching to alternative fuels for the past couple of decades? I’m sure the Pentagon is just dying to know what you think.

1 Like

Here in the UK we had Ms Cortez’s equivalent in James Keir Hardie, just at and before the turn of the last century. In the aftermath of a methane explosion at a colliery in South Wales in 1894, which killed at least 200 miners, the House of Commons refused to pass a motion of sympathy with the relatives of those killed, while at the same time passing a congratulatory message to the Royal family on the occasion of the birth of the future Edward VIII. Keir Hardie brought the House of Commons down, when he opined that “…the economic and moral worth of a single Welsh miner is more than the whole of the royal crowd put together”. _emphasized text_In Ms Cortez, Keir Hardie’s spirit marches on!

3 Likes

Quite the post for only having joined six hours previous to it. It is doubtful that you will sway anyone with your talking points. If (most of) the readers here wanted the Fox News party line they wouldn’t be here in the first place. This is a serious forum for people who care about making a difference in the world.

3 Likes

I’ll say she’s smart! She’s the only member of Congress smart enough to have an asteroid named after her (23238 Ocasio-Cortez).