Home | About | Donate

'Why Are We Being Charged?' Surprise Bills From Coronavirus Testing Spark Calls for Government to Cover All Costs

You are a bold faced Liar, nothing more . .

My daughter-in-law died from over work. She had no reserve stamina or strength to fight off the virus.
Top ten hero in my book. She accomplished raising four who are now sterling citizens. I do appreciate the fatigued, tired moms I see at school functions, church, shopping, etc. Struggling inside great depression #2 since 2009 certainly adds to the stress and going without for themselves.

Four million grandparents are raising their grandchildren per AARP.
Usually without any outside additional income. They are heroes also.

The CDC declined to respond when…

Declining to respond is CDC’s specialty, lately. (Expect high-level resignations soon.)

CBS Radio just reported the CDC’s briefing, scheduled for noon eastern time, was abruptly cancelled today in the wake of so many more additional deaths reported in Washington State, where they apparently have an outbreak of unknown extent. No explanation, no rescheduling. Just no comment. Strange enough to freak out CBS. Thanks, CDC. That makes me feel so much more relaxed.

USAmerica’s public health infrastructure has been so eviscerated, our population has prepared ripe fruits for Covid-19 to pick off in the form of “extended care facilities” (you’re supposed to say – once upon a time they were old folks’ homes). One down, thousands to go. New York’s mayor comforts the public with assurances of “twelve hundred beds”!!! (Which seems to deserve three exclamation points.)

It’s sorta kinda terrifying how ill-prepared we are for this. Epidemiologically, USAmerica becomes a welcoming viral host, and a hazard for the whole world.

4 Likes

Hmmmm… A virus that overwhelmingly kills the elderly and/or those with pre-exisitng conditions.

Sounds like a medical insurance companies wet dream. As well as .gov social security/medicare wet dream.

Just sayin’

3 Likes

The very idea that the defense and “Homeland” security budgets are bloated and additional funding approved year after year but the citizens of this country are not afforded 100% health coverage In a time of global health crisis that could become a pandemic. And as has been stated, the unconscionable idea suggested that a possible vaccine (a long way away or perhaps not developed at all) might not be affordable to the workers who pay the taxes that fund the government? That’s insane.

3 Likes

Another example of “American Exceptionalism.” China doesn’t charge its coronavirus atients, neither does South Korea. I guess they are simply backward countries.

6 Likes

They are already testing a vaccine. Don’t ask me to prove it. The source was on a larger issue of vaccines and the Ebola Virus. It would still take some time for it to be approved but from what I understand it is fast tracked.

The HIV splice in this coronavirus would lead me to believe no vaccine will be forthcoming.

The cdc just gave up on an HIV vaccine - announced it today. They’ve been working on it for 10 years.

1 Like

I own my own home after years of hard work paying it off. It’s the only thing of value, besides my old truck, that I have. If I get the virus, I will stay home and try to treat it the best I can. I can’t afford to go to the hospital and pay thousands in medical bills, with the chance that they’ll come after my possessions. America, the land of the _______. Fill in the blank. (Hint: it’s no longer free).

6 Likes

I think I read something about that too. I know we don’t have the whole story. Thanks, that is an important point for consideration and could be the answer to a few other questions.

There are other ways to protect your home. Homesteading or living trust. I’m not good at this but I know there are ways to do it. Hopefully, it would never come to that but outcomes are not certain even with treatment in this case.

1 Like

As someone who lost a mother at 5 years old I can sympathize with your grief in losing a daughter-in-law and especially seeing her four children orphaned. However, I think you miss the point here: This is about we becoming a society invested in each others welfare and not a company town that commodifies everything including the health and well being of us all.

9 Likes

While I prefer to think they lack the guile to plan like that, the paranoid hippie in me says you are probably right.(I hate that).

5 Likes

Yes, and we have much of that already.
social security
medicare
medicaid
Pell grants
Part D
free schools
free libraries
free parks

Community colleges, tech schools, apprenticeships: all for free is easily do.

Perhaps the demise of unions has broken our former ‘lookin out for my brother’ mode.
Private hospitals here have reduced their charity cases. Which sends more people to the county medical hospital and long waits.

Agreed.

I have worked with the Vermont branch of PNHP and the Massachusetts and NY physicians who support single payer. Here are links:

~https://pnhp.org/what-is-single-payer/

~https://pnhp.org/what-is-single-payer/faqs/

From Wikipedia:

~https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-payer_healthcare

Note that what we are pushing for in the US America is a government run plan that takes the profit motive away, covers everyone from cradle to grave with no co-pays and deductibles. Everyone in the one and only pool, no “networks”, and one reason it will eventually cost less.

The more recent film *Now Is The Time, sequel to The Healthcare Movie

~https://www.facebook.com/NowistheTimeMovie/

Another group I worked with in NY and Massachusetts and they have good educational materials and they are now located in Boston rather than NYC:

~https://www.healthcare-now.org/what-is-single-payer/

~http://thehealthcaremovie.net/home/

3 Likes

I’m going by: -ttps://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/1129/text

As a revision it is better but flawed. It is a cost containment bill based on the same research as the republican plan with global budgets and block grants.

Edited: I encourage you to read this:
-ttps://www.rand.org/blog/2018/10/misconceptions-about-medicare-for-all.html

Trump always wants chaos, because he knows how to use it to gain more power. It isn’t guile, it’s how he operates. He’s a disaster politician.

3 Likes

Putting yourself in someone’s shoes means you empathize with them and see things from their perspective. What you’ve done instead is throw stones.

3 Likes

Higher education is not free but they do need to become free for the students and payed by us as a society.

Part D is a scam, a Republican scam also supported by corporate democrats because of its profit motive and its privatization

Medicare only covers 80% and does not cover eye and dental care and older folks especially need these services.

Medicaid helps but there are limits and one cannot necessarily use it where one needs to go.
Expanded, Improved Medicare For All is a vast improvement. because it covers everyone in one big pool and, therefore, much more dignified than the rob Paul to pay peter system we have.

Social Security too can be improved. Why should it simply be based on the income of the person which means that a person working in a low paying job in a capitalist system gone wild with greed will often work until they die.

Pell grants can be eliminated when we have what the French have: publicly supported education for everyone.

The demise of unions certainly did not help but it was part of the long strategy of the Right to privatize everything to the enrichment of the few.

2 Likes

Thank goodness for the “/s”. Poe’s Law you know…

The overall competence that Canada is handling this outbreak, compared to the USA, is stark. First world (Canada) versus third-world (USA). Testing is practically available for free, to any suspect person, sick or not, as Toronto alone can run 1000 tests a day and have results in 4 hours. That is far more than all the US’s capacity for 330 million people.

I wonder how long before Canada closes its borders to USAns? Me and my wife (both in a vulnerable age/medical group) should seriously consider fleeing to my brother’s place in Toronto as the first announced cases in Pittsburgh are probably only days away. What about our poor cat though? We could try to smuggle her across the border, but she is a loud and talkative kitty…

3 Likes