Home | About | Donate

Why Bernie Sanders Is Winning the Hearts and Minds of America

Why Bernie Sanders Is Winning the Hearts and Minds of America

Tom Weis
If you’re lucky, once in your lifetime, maybe twice if you’re really lucky, you’ll get an opportunity to support a presidential candidate who speaks to your values on a very deep personal level. For me, that chance came the day Bernie Sanders announced his presidential campaign. My reason for supporting Bernie Sanders for president can be summed up in one word: authenticity.

It feels like ''the people' around the world are hoping that Bernie gets elected. He seems like the first of our leaders who truly represents humanity rather than only the powers that be. It is as if other people realize that his election will kickstart a change in the direction of our self destructing civilization. Humanity or rather unregulated capitalism has become a destructive force and the power to make decisions for the many has become concentrated in the hands of the few. It is because of the lateness of the hour that people hold out hope that someone wise will be elected. That someone will make wise decisions better than what has become the norm in this age of greed.

Yes we need Bernie in America but the truth actually is that our planet needs Bernie too... He is the only one that hasn't been bought and paid for.... That is why people have real hope. This time around hope is mutual... Humanity hopes that we won't be thrown unto the tender mercies of the fossil fuel industry and those politicians that they own.

Go Bernie ...for all of us!

The endorsements are lopsided. One reason may be the Sanders only recently became a Democrat. Many elected Democrats may be unhappy about that. But I think the major is reason is that they believe Sanders will lose in the general election. They remember candidates further on the left like Humphrey, McGovern, and Mondale losing to a Republican. And they remember losing every presidential election from 1964 to 1988 except one when Carter defeated Ford. They also remember the elation when Bill Clinton won in 1992 and then in 1996 with a more centrist message, And when Obama won in 2008 and 2012 again with somewhat more centrist message. They don't want to go back to the days of losing to a Republican every four years. I think that they believe Clinton gives them the best chance to keep on winning.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

BRAVO Tom! An essay that clearly articulates what millions feel and why they are flocking to the Real Deal - Bernie Sanders!

Bernie, please introduce a bill to bring back the Fairness Doctrine.

"Why Bernie Sanders Is Winning the Hearts and Minds of America"

The main reason is probably he's promising all that free stuff. He's more or less honest about telling us we actually have to pay for it thru higher taxes. About 45% us of don't pay any federal taxes anyway so it won't affect us.

And we'll go the distance, Bernie!!!

Sen. Sanders embraced good marketing practices, selling what the paying customers want to buy, and I think this deserves deeper examination. I have long supported Sanders, but we need to discuss just what is going on here. Sanders used to speak out powerfully about US poverty and the need for legit poverty relief programs. Our 20th Century history is a solid record showing why it's impossible to save (much less, to rebuild!) the middle class without shoring up the poor. This doesn't sell to today's middle class libs (campaign donors), so he dropped the issue. What do you think Sanders could actually change?

Not only are you a parrot, an idiot, and ignorant... you're LYING about Mr. Sanders.

Now maybe you inhabit an alternative universe, but presuming you don't: it should be quite clear that Mr. Sanders' support for raising the minimum wage is aimed at those who certainly qualify as living in poverty. That means they ARE poor.

I seriously doubt that you support Sanders or you wouldn't attempt to slander him with your ridiculous Talking Point.

And if anyone is paying you, they're as ignorant as you are to fund such bottom-feeding tripe.

Although its not Bernie's nature to over promise, if he is successful in eliminating the too-big-to-fail banks taxpayer funded bailout programs, he will free up the $26 trillion of taxpayers' money that Congress has committed to said program. the first decade of Bernie's Medicare for All is estimated to cost $16 trillion, leaving $10 trillion for other "free stuff", thereby eliminating the need to increase taxes on the rank and file.

Maybe that's what they believe, or perhaps you're mistaken. Problem with that belief (if it IS their belief) is that it has no foundation in reality as far as we can measure it. All the polls, from the beginning of the election cycle, have shown Bernie outperforming Clinton, both in the public and also in match-ups against each of the Republican field. If people can't take in new information and change their beliefs accordingly, there's very little you can do to help them.

Poor cynical you. Don't let Bernie's "more or less" honesty blow your mind, Lamonte.:relaxed:

I am not a Democrat, and Bernie's message of Public (Health Insurance, Education, Prisons, Elections) and energy transition and a livable wage are all things I have been a proponent of for years. Just like Mr. Weis, it's not that I'm buying his message, it's that he is speaking about mine.

As to why my heart and mind are not swayed by claims against these proposals of cost being too high, people liking free stuff, and being legislatively impossible: My own knowledge - a 9% tax increase is less than what I pay for insurance, and I know how insurance works (bigger pool etc), also the only way anything gets done has been when we have (angrily) woken up from time to time; My own eyes - it's not free, it's better distributed than an individual could ever hope for, and services are being starved because local and state taxes are given away (the other free) to corporations, for less return.

It's not rocket science, it's honesty. It is also the knowledge that 'government' is simply a tool for us to manage our own society. We do not need any kings or popes, ... or CEO's. While theoretic arguments can be made for the Individual, it is impossible, or at least dehabilitating, to actually live that way.

In closing, I was watching Redacted Tonight, and Hillary supporters couldn't answer any question (even positive ones) and Bernie supporters could... except when the subject of Israel came up (please wait till I made my point, and it's not about Israel) the crowd saw the non-harmonious question and were dumb struck... if I had been there I would have said... "well yes, he should expand/defend his positions. In fact, we should ask him. Because Bernie, aside from all others, will actually answer."

Democracy is not elitist. Americans don't vote or take an interest in government knowing that the system is rigged not matter what. In Scandinavia and other democratic countries, people that are not rich take an interest in and learn about government knowing that their vote counts as much as any rich person's.

Sounds like you don't see Sanders for who he really is, a genuinely concerned statesman who is determined to raise the living standards of all Americans. And you ask the wrong question, it's not what "Sanders could actually change," its what change the American people are willing to demand with him as our ally in the White House. As long as we keep expecting our candidates to do all the work of "change" without our pushing for it, we will never achieve change.

VISUALIZE BERNIE TAKING THE OATH OF OFFICE. Can you see him there? See him in his black overcoat, signature white hair blowing in the crisp breeze of the bright January day as he raises his right hand and takes the oath, sunlight glinting off his spectacles? Behold the sea of wall-to-wall faces of every color, stretching through the entire Washington Mall and beyond, like it was the historic day of Dr. King’s “I Have A Dream” speech? You pause inwardly to reflect on this moment, and feel your breath expand and relax, somehow knowing, deep down that, yes, he is safe and protected, for the work that needs to be done, for the benefit of all. And now--hear the roar of the exuberant crowd suddenly and solemnly hush? Because it is at this point...you, the assembled thousands, the nation, the world, hears him say the words, in his baritone, Brooklyn accent, "I, Bernard Sanders, do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States." You literally feel the crowd erupt in a volcano of cheers as Phase II of the Revolution now begins, and you feel your heart burst with joy, a lump in your throat, and tears stream down your face as you find yourself laughing and crying at the same time...

It’s Crunch Time people--the Iowa Caucus is upon us! And we’ve gotta pull out ALL the stops--not just the physical (phone banking, etc.), but the mental and spiritual, as well. Sure, it may sound “woo-woo,” but hey, I’m writing this from the San Francisco Bay Area and that’s our specialty! So let’s USE it! First to win Iowa, to jumpstart the momentum, but starting by visualizing the endpoint, fully and emotionally. Do this and feel this as fully as you can between now and the end of the Iowa caucuses--and then beyond! But especially now--let’s light the fire that Spreads the Bern!

We hear people saying that we need Sen. Sanders, etc., without saying why. Do most supporters know why they support Sanders? Do they know where Sanders actually stands on the broad range of issues? What do you think Sanders could actually do, or change? Once again, we see people who seem to expect rainbows and unicorns.

Sen. Sanders is actually in a rather difficult situation for reasons that liberal media won't touch. Elections almost always come down to economic issues. The Dem voting base has consisted of the "masses" -- the poor and middle class, workers and the jobless. Over the past 7 years, Dems and liberals have only more deeply alienated the poor. Sanders used to speak out powerfully about the need for legit poverty relief programs. He dropped the issue to appeal to middle class campaign donors. The poor (and those who get why unrelieved poverty is such a critical issue) have only been more deeply alienated, knowing that our poverty crisis isn't going to be addressed. This will matter on election day.

The SUPER DELEGATE endorsements are the same "walkin' around money" support that Bill, Hillary, their Foundation, and the massive $Millions of contributions represent. Repayment for identified and privately expressed support for both pro and con positions, liberal and blue dog Democrats, incarcerated and incarcerator - the list is endless - fueled with the "really big" contributions that make the machine that is the "system" grind ever so slowly, respectful of the maintenance and expansion of 1% wealth and power ... the folks who help Hillary "know" what CAN'T be done.

You go Bernie! I'm rooting for you from the Great White North. (That would be Canada).
Bernie will be good not just for the USA, but the world.