Home | About | Donate

Why Bombing the Kunduz Hospital Was Probably a War Crime

Why Bombing the Kunduz Hospital Was Probably a War Crime

Nick Turse

Did the U.S. military commit a war crime when it bombed a hospital in the Afghan city of Kunduz and killed at least 22 people? It’s too early for experts to say for certain, but there’s good reason to believe the attack may have violated international humanitarian law.

Hospitals enjoy special status protecting them from deliberate attack, and they are generally filled with protected persons — medical personnel, civilians, and sick or wounded soldiers, enemy as well as friendly — none of whom may be willfully wounded or killed.

The Obomber administration will deny it to the end, but I believe this airstrike was deliberate. It was done because MSF treats EVERYONE who comes to them, all sides, and the U. S. can't abide anyone giving any aid to any enemy, whether they know they are the enemy or not.

I have long said, and continue to say, that within six months of our finally leaving Afghanistan, the Taliban will once again be in total control of that mess of a country. We need to cut our losses and just get the eff out of there - NOW! Yes, everyone who fought and died there did so in vain. Now, can we please leave?

Ho Chi Minh showed the US Military what patience can do. The eastern and near eastern mind set is steeped in lessons learned over millennia. Wet-behind-the-ears empire wannabe US had best take note.

Nick! Probably?

"When the President does it, that means that it's not illegal." - Richard M. Nixon

It will not take six months.
The people will turn very quickly on the corrupt war lords that the US props up and things will change very quickly when the US leaves.

No probably about it! This was no mistake or accident and was a deliberate attack, pure and simple. But the sad thing is that the war criminals who are culpable for this war crime will never be brought to justice.

The US has already said it will pay off the hospital with what are called " condolence payments " which is an euphemism that says: " sorry we murdered some hospital folks, but here is some $ in order to admit we did wrong ". Which will exonerate the war criminals!

What is it about US presidents that drives them to massive aerial bombings of 3rd world populations?

Dick Nixon ordered the Christmas bombings of Vietnam December 18, 1972, and for 9 days US aerial bombings were excessive and relentless as over 20,000 tons of ordnance devastated the land.

As it commenced, Charles Buswell, bishop of Pueblo, Co., telegrammed the White House six words:

"In God's name, stop the bombing!"

Massive aerial bombing destroyed this sizable hospital, on Obama's orders.

Obama reminds me of Dick Nixon. My parents loathed Nixon, so my feelings for Obama come naturally.

Well, innocent until proven guilty, y'know.

Of course, if they classify the records of the action, then no one can ever prove it.

The Taliban are not preferable. But they do suppress opposition quite effectively.

Bill, Just wondering, was Bishop Buswell of Colorado a Catholic bishop ? Where are the Catholic bishops of America who represent the Peace of Christ in all of this war making ? The Mad March of U.S. imperialism to conquer the world must end. Probably not until every last drop of oil is extracted from the earth, or what's left of it.

Hi, Mairead, very good post! I happened to read that obit years ago, as a friend sent it to me. Thank you for including it!
Charles Buswell has for many years been a personal hero of mine. Forty years ago I served as a volunteer in his diocesan VIDA program, Volunteers in Diocesan Action, and I got to visit with him several times. Wonderful wit, and sharp sense of humor! A native of Oklahoma, he was down-to-earth, and personified Christ for me.
It was my very good fortune to have known him. A couple of friends told me his telegram story, and I admired his rage for this cause.

Hi, wlawlor, and good point on US Catholic bishops, who help promote US wars on the rest of the world.

In 1965, Pope Paul visited the UN, and pointedly and passionately implored, "War, not war! War never again!" One can't be more direct. Within a year of this UN speech, the US had sent a half million US troops to Vietnam, and US Catholic bishops were blessing the troops everywhere.

Jimmy Breslin, prize-winning columnist, observed, "The Church could have ended that war... they couldn't have conducted the war in Vietnam without the Catholics support.. they could've stopped the war dead." (from Once a Catholic, 1987, Peter Occhiogrosso)

Charles Buswell was beloved by many lay people and priests, but within the US bishops he was definitely an anomaly, and for most he was a pariah, with his visions for peace and justice.

For peace and justice, Charles Buswell, Presente!

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.