Home | About | Donate

Why Busy-ness Is So Damaging

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/07/08/why-busy-ness-so-damaging

1 Like

During the years of my career, I was busy from 8am to 5pm Monday through Friday for 30 years.

When I left work, and was on "my time, it was time to relax, refresh, and party down.

Fortunately, I made it past the “heart attack” age range for men.

I guess it’s all downhill from here.

1 Like

You must not be old enough yet to be glad just to get out of bed. One thing I like about being older is that I have a wealth of experience to apply to any given task without having to go through all the other steps.

Great article Thanks very much.

Here’s the ploy I used at the beginning of 2019 to reduce my busy-ness:

I told my client that I was switching my compensation arrangement from a monthly retainer to an hourly rate, priced rather high. My offer was take-it-or-leave-it, not really a gamble because I know they can’t easily replace my skill set.

Now I’m making roughly the same money working ten hours or so less per week. I’m too expensive for them to tap me for the piddly-shit assignments like they used to. Sweet.

1 Like

You’re a Tank half full kinda guy, aren’t you?

When I retired 13 years ago, it was 3 years later when the company I had worked for called and asked if I would like to come back on a contract basis.

They offered me the same dollar amount I had been making three years earlier, minus all of the benefits I had which amounted to about another 20% of that dollar amount.

I said I would be willing to to work another year at a rate which added another 20% instead of subtracting 20%.

Bingo!

No more piddly shit for anther year.

Retirement was way to sweet to come out of it for anymore “piddly shit.”

"No Regerts." Like in that commercial.

1 Like