Home | About | Donate

Why Can’t Inner-Ring Democrats Just Say ‘No’ to Billionaires?

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/11/14/why-cant-inner-ring-democrats-just-say-no-billionaires

3 Likes

Q: “Why can’t Democrats say NO to billionaires ?”

A: There is no twelve step program to shake corporate money adiction.

11 Likes

Very simple reason:

“He who pays the piper calls the tune”. The Democrats are owned by the billionaires, just like the Republicans.

Government does not exist for the benefit of the governed. Or if you prefer, as the Who so aptly put it – “Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.”

10 Likes

Seeing how the GOP has operated as an organized crime syndicate ever since Newt’s contract on America a quarter century ago, pleasing their cult by getting away with ever more egregious lies and crimes with each passing year, the author advocating attempting to get the money out of politics is not the highest priority.

Unless Biden launches Nuremberg style trials on January 21 to bring Trump, his appointees and other enablers to justice, the GOP will continue to be on the lam and will increase, not reduce their power. Historically organized crime’s power has been diminished only by locking up the criminals, not ignioring them as the Democrats always have.

8 Likes

Biden has already strongly emphasized that he wants to “heal the nation,” and “reunite us.”

Does that sound like he is ready to alienate 45% of the nation to bring anyone to justice?

Did he and Obama bring G.W. Bush to justice? Of course not. “We have to look ahead, not back…”

5 Likes

Good analysis here, I feel. And very in line with the argument that Thomas Frank made last night on the Useful Idiots podcast.

Heartening to see progressives pushing back against corporate Dems at the moment, but these Dems prove time and again that they have no intention of changing. They love that money, and they worship those that have it. They say so directly. They celebrate it. And they will not be amenable to the intervention they need until things get much worse (which they are ironically bringing about.)

If we see no movement in the first 100 days of a Biden administration away from the wealthy and toward the people - as the good liberals promised might occur if only we got Biden elected, I will feel no remorse for walking away from the Dems completely. And no amount of MSNBC-aligned gas-lighting will change that.

8 Likes

As WWSmith noted above, the “Inner-Ring” DimWit-Rats (like the “Inner-Ring” 'Poop-Lickens) are a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Multi-NaZional Korporations that control nearly every aspect of our lives, and in many cases saying ‘No’ to a Billionaire (or at least to a Multi-Millionaire) would require saying ‘No’ to the face in the mirror . . .

I strongly recommend that you not hold your breath while you’re waiting, DJ, even for the first 100 minutes.  In spite
of a few progressives making some noise around the edges, the ‘Inner Ring’ of the DNC is moving away from ‘The People’, not toward them — just as it has been doing for the past 500 months and will continue to do for next 500 months.

BTW, you’re 100 months late in moving away from the DimWit-Rats completely — as I did following O’Bummer & P’Loser using the excuse of “Looking Ahead, Not Back” in 2009 to ignore not just The Lying Son-of-a-Bush and his puppeteer Cheney, but many other War Criminals such as Haspel, Prince and Yoo, as well as the Banksters like Mnuchin & Co.

Thanks for the reply. I’m not holding my breath. Definitely not. Rather, letting what they say might happen prove itself false before shutting the door for good, if only to cement the argument for why. Because these people love to gas-light. And the righteous argument for leaving them once and for all will need all the fuel it can muster in reply.

I’ve been fully aware of who the Dems are since the last days of Clinton’s presidency, with one brief gas-lit moment that was the hope and change campaign of 2008. But by 2010, that party was over for me, too. I suppose I have Obama to thank for cementing my belief that the Dems are who they are. Not that I take any pleasure in it.

4 Likes

Ah-Yup.  I too fell for O’Bummer’s bullshit in 2008.   Never again (not that my one vote matters much).

3 Likes

I bet if Bloomberg gave Chuck Rocha $100 million to spend in Miami Dade winning the Latinx population over and turning them out instead of in The Villages and retirement homes in Palm Beach the Dems would have won Florida.

2 Likes

Here are a few reasons Democrats side with lobbyists:

1. They’re paid.
  2. They fear blackmail
  3. They promised
  4. Their chums are lobbyists
  5. They believe they should do this and lie
  6. They drove the left from the organization
  7. Most people vote for them anyway

Think of it the way that you think of Republicans or fascists. They are not on your side; why would they turn down money and influence to benefit you?

1 Like

Enough is never enough, more, more more is all they know. They throws us crumbs once in a while to keep us voting but I think the elector and lots of young people are sick and tired of it and so am I as a old person and never been so happy that I am old, I have just enough right now to take care of myself as a healthy active person but wait …until health could slip???

2 Likes

Things are seldom simple, but, in this case, I think the solution is actually simple; make elections free. The giveaway of our airwaves is still the biggest theft ( in terms of money) in our history frankly and it is long past time for the networks to give back.
Free access to radio and TV to qualified candidates, free press as well to political advertising during the election cycle. Without the need to raise an average of ten million per Senate run or a billion for the run to the White House the influence of corporate largess is diminished or disappeared.

2 Likes

We see with the rally today in Washington that the 45% are alienated anyway, why not shake the tree and see how many rotten apples we find.
Not impeaching after the Mueller report was strike one. Botching the Ukraine impeachment in the senate was strike two.
Non action from the Biden administrations DOJ will be strike three for me. It will be proof that republicans rule.
They will hibernate for a while and live off their tax cut reserves. The reserves other Americans were denied.

1 Like

No one will be charged, prosecuted or convicted of anything is my prediction, and all the progressive foot-stomping in the world will not change anything. They are blaming all the progressives who won their elections for the losses of the neolibs, why would they further anger the right by prosecuting their savior, sent by Jesus himself?

Furthermore, I also predict that Kasich will get a cabinet spot, even as he warns Biden that unless he ends Social Security and Medicare he will not be seen as sufficiently Trumper-coddling.

Yes, I’m a cynic. Sue me…

4 Likes

But . . .   But . . .  You seem to be thinking of the DimWit-Rat Party of 2009, when O’Bummer and P’Loser let all those War Criminals and Banksters off the hook.  Surely you can’t expect anyone to remember anything from more than ten years ago, much less hold a grudge, can you???

Oh, Biden doesn’t need to go THAT far.  With Kasich, I mean.  The austerity measures and tax-cuts already in place will ensure the death of Social Security, and Covid-19 will hang on more than long enough to ensure that there is no-one still around who’s eligible for Medicare anyway.

Can’t pretend to understand WHY …

But isn’t there always an attraction for anyone to be connected with
power – the wealthy?

Too often not recognizing the dangers of doing that?

And then, there’s always the FEAR that’s hard to understand –
We continue to hear how fearful the GOP members are of Trump but where
are their own principles – their own life guidelines?

Shouldn’t that be where the FEAR comes in – watching someone like Trump
saying crap, moving crap, preaching crap, succeeding at selling crap to his followers?

And to the last, he was willing to make crap of democracy or what’s left of it –
but it seems – and let’s hope – that there are still enough decent, honest people
willing to say NO to him.

Thanks as always to Sam Pizzigati for his class-conscious analysis that gets to the root of the decay in the American political system.

Besides the blatant legalized corruption / lobby system in Washington, we now have a Supreme Court packed with corporate bagmen, one that is practically united against American citizens .

Keep in mind that here in Canada there strict caps on the number of Dollars that can be contributed to a given Political party in Canada. Corporations and Unions can not contribute at all. Individuals are limited to 1500 a year and the rest of the financing comes from Public coffers.

Even with this the major Political parties tend to still work on the best interest s of the 1 percent. They do this because the “means of production” has been surrendered to Private interests and in order to win elections they have to ensure those investment dollars keep rolling in so as to “create jobs”. They surrendered much of their power in those various free trade deals and those same Corporations wil always claim to they set up shop elsewhere unless they get what they want from Government.

Most can not say NO to billionaires because they are Capitalists.

…and Nothing will fundamentally change
“Push Biden to the Left” ? B. S.

Biden’s transition team is filled with war profiteers, Beltway chickenhawks and corporate consultants
A glance at the Biden-Harris agency review teams should provide a rude awakening to anyone who believed a Biden administration could be “pushed to the left”

~https://thegrayzone.com/2020/11/14/bidens-transition-team-war-profiteers-chickenhawks-corporate-consultants/