Home | About | Donate

Why Congress Should Pass the REDEEM Act

Why Congress Should Pass the REDEEM Act

Rebecca Vallas

At a time of historic polarization in Washington, one issue has garnered strong bipartisan support: criminal justice reform. Exhibit A is the list of strange bedfellows who have recently joined forces through the “transpartisan” Coalition for Public Safety.

"Sharon Dietrich and I explained in a recent Center for American Progress report, cleaning up a criminal record is one of the most powerful tools for overcoming the barriers associated with a criminal record. While state laws vary a great deal, the vast majority of states have “expungement” or “sealing” mechanisms to allow people to put their criminal records behind them."

I think this is TERRIBLE idea if the record involves rape, murder, or any violent crime.

Since I gave up TV more than 8 years ago, sometimes I watch "Forensic Files" on You Tube. What astounds me is how many rapists-murderers had earlier convictions and served ridiculously short sentences. Many in for murder (perhaps written down to Manslaughter, particularly if it's actually woman-slaughter) serve less time than persons in for recreational drug use.

How many pedophiles get out of jail and do IT all over again? How many rapists?

There are very real serial offenders; and there's also a world of difference between the person with a few traffic violations or pot possession charges and persons who are a continued THREAT to society.

If such a bill doesn't make that distinction, it's SICK and disturbing.

Actually the Bill does make a distinction... It's only for "Non-Violent" offenses... The way the Federal Criminal System works is you are automatically guilty. I know a person who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and by accident he was in a room where a drug deal was happening and an informant had a wiretap so his voice was caught on tape... when he tried to fight it in the Federal Court System that he had no idea what was going on... The people who were in real trouble testified against that person and pretty much lied to get their sentences lowered... Since he did not take a plea deal because he felt he wasn't guilty... Guess what-he received 10yrs of a sentence for that. Do you consider that fair that this person cannot have the opportunity to have their record expunged? I don't that's for sure... This Bill will help people like that have the opportunity to move on instead of walking around with the Scarlett letter "F" for felony their whole lives. There are also women incarcerated over what their boyfriends/husbands did... They are given conspiracy charges just because their namw is on a lease or a mortgage... Should they not have the opportunity to a second chance... I suggest you do your research and really understand what the Bill is about and see the people it will truly help and get the facts straight before automatically make a presumption of how terrible this Bill is