Home | About | Donate

Why Did Protests Erupt In Iran?

Why Did Protests Erupt In Iran?

Ahmad Sadri

Deep within Iran's authoritarian system there is a tiny democratic heart, complete with elective, presidential and parliamentary chambers, desperately beating against an unyielding, theocratic exoskeleton.

A university student attends a protest inside Tehran University while a smoke grenade is thrown by anti-riot Iranian police on December 30, 2017 [AP]

“Deep within Iran’s authoritarian system there is a tiny democratic heart, complete with elective, presidential and parliamentary chambers, desperately beating against an unyielding, theocratic exoskeleton.”

Brilliant one-sentence summary.

When all is said and done my suspicion is that the malodorous stink of the NED, (National Endowment for Democracy) is behind this–just like they were behind the unrest of the “Arab spring” and much of the similar unrest throughout Latin America.
These places all have their problems, but the meddling of the US (going back to the world of post WWII) is the last thing needed to improve their situation.

Excellent article. I predict that the ayetollah’s will end up on the ash heap of history, and that the Iranian people will form the government they want and deserve. :slight_smile:

The Iranians tried that once. We overthrew the government they wanted and here we are today.

We need more assets and more collaborators if we want to win the War on Islam. After we get rid of The Supreme Leader, we’re going to have to do something about those bums in the street.

On a more serious note...

Why would I support regime change in another country when we can’t even get regime change right here at home. F*** the republicans. F*** the democrats. F*** federalism.

Yes, it is well documented that the CIA took out the the democratically elected government of Iran in 1953 and installed the Shah of Iran who was a murderous thug, but of course, it did not matter because he was an US quisling, the US governments thug!

So I guess something that happened 65 years ago precludes the Iranians from trying again. Well, then they’re f*cked. :confused:

"Three-fourths of Americans cannot identify all three branches of the federal government, according to an Annenberg Center poll taken earlier this year. One in 3 Americans can’t name a single branch of government. More than a third of Americans can’t name any of their rights under the 1st Amendment. A host of surveys finds that Americans, particularly younger Americans, are increasingly ambivalent or even hostile to free speech, and even democracy."

Theocracy is alive and well in America, and elsewhere around the world.

These ‘theocratic exoskeletons’ are well named - and right in our own back yards.

You think the denial of climate science is unrelated to this?

Of the ‘sixth extinction’ under way?

Here is Israel’s prime news outlet - and I draw your attention to the dual dates in the header:

Haaretz - Israel News Tuesday, January 02, 2018.
Tevet 15, 5778 Time in Israel: 8:11 PM

Tevet 15, 5778 - that many years since the Creation - The Good Book.

Come on - we are a superstitious bunch headed off the cliff.

I said that it was touched off by an IC(intelligence community) opp by governments of the US, Israel and the Saudi’s. They deny it so it’s highly likely. As the Arab spring was.

When reading about the events there around '53 it seemed to me that the democratic movement was the strongest social element in the mix. There was the nascent and fading monarchy of the Pahlavi family, there was the Shia religious structure of the Ayatollahs, and there was Mosaddeq and the democratic government movement. It seemed there might be room for everybody, but the colonialists had other ideas, and they found a willing Quisling in an ambitious Ayatollah to help sink Mosaddeq and the democratic Parliament.

Yes, we will, and have always supported democracy all over the world. Bloody hell.

What might have been if the UK/US hadn’t sabotaged democracy in Iran?

So the US media report on uprising in Iran—yet they fail to report on Yemen being destroyed by US bombs----or the family run state of Saudi Arabia supported by the US—or to begin reporting on Palestinians living under occupation in the US created state of Israel.

This reporting shows how we live in a corporate police state----and the media play the role of reinforcing propaganda.

“We” – whoever that is meant to be – need no assets or collaborators. The liberation of Iran should be the work of Iranians. And there is no “war on Islam” unless there is a new crusade on and I have gotten the memo.
Ahmad Sadri, the author of this essay.

I recently wrote the following comment regarding US relations with Arabs – The Saudi’s in particular. Simple extrapolation – and a sense of US-Iranian history since 1953 – gives it currency here, too. I suggest that Iran’s internal problems & unrest are exacerbated by US economic sanctions plus agitation by US & Israeli provocateurs.

Donald Trump – along with most of Washington’s elected officials – has a fixation on the financial (re-election) support available from within both the USA’s wealthy Jewish and (so-called) Christian Zionist communities. Realization of both groups’ mutual goal of a totally Jewish State-cum-World Power in the Middle East (and The Second Coming) is predicated upon the destruction and balkanization of ALL Arab and Persian nation-states from the Nile Valley to the Euphrates River and from the Mediterranean down into Sudan & Somalia. So far we have destroyed Iraq; we are working to destroy Syria; and we have Iran squarely in our bomb-sights. Re: “Greater Israeli Plan” & “USS Liberty Attack”: Google both & read within the context of US Middle East Foreign Policy for the past 60+ years.

Ahmad:
Any war in-or-about Iran will necessarily be precipitated by Isreal, applauded by Saudi Arabia (and other short-sighted, non-Shiite nations) and fought by the USA. It will: require a minimum of 1,000,000 troops on the ground and uncounted trillions of dollars; persist for decades; and always remain as un-winnable as our ill-begotten wars in Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq, and Syria.
And add to that these facts regarding Pakistan and Iran:

1. Iran has money & oil but no nuclear weapons;
  2. Pakistan has neither money nor oil, but they do have nuclear weapons;
  3. Albeit not seamlessly, Pakistan & Iran are Muslim States;
  4. Neither has any great love for Israel. . . and the feeling is reciprocal;
  5. Pakistan has a history of sharing nuclear weapons’ technology (w/NKorea}; and
  6. Pakitan and Iran share a long-and-open mutual border.
    Connect the dots.
    Personally, I’d be surprised if an exchange was not already been accomplished.

Ahmad:
Any war in-or-about Iran will necessarily be precipitated by Isreal, applauded by Saudi Arabia (and other short-sighted, non-Shiite nations) and fought by the USA. It will: require a minimum of 1,000,000 troops on the ground and uncounted trillions of dollars; persist for decades; and always remain as un-winnable as our ill-begotten wars in Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq, and Syria.
And add to that these facts regarding Pakistan and Iran:

1. Iran has money & oil but no nuclear weapons;
  2. Pakistan has neither money nor oil, but they do have nuclear weapons;
  3. Albeit not seamlessly, Pakistan & Iran are Muslim States;
  4. Neither has any great love for Israel. . . and the feeling is reciprocal;
  5. Pakistan has a history of sharing nuclear weapons’ technology (w/NKorea}; and
  6. Pakitan and Iran share a long-and-open mutual border.
    Connect the dots.
    Personally, I’d be surprised if an exchange was not already been accomplished.