Home | About | Donate

Why Either Trump’s and Cruz’s Tax Plans Would Be the Largest Redistributions to the Rich in American History

Why Either Trump’s and Cruz’s Tax Plans Would Be the Largest Redistributions to the Rich in American History

Robert Reich

The tax cuts for the rich proposed by the two leading Republican candidates for the presidency—Donald Trump and Ted Cruz—are larger, as a proportion of the government budget and the total economy, than any tax cuts ever before proposed in history.

Trump and Cruz pretend to be opposed to the Republican establishment, but when it comes to taxes they’re seeking exactly what that Republican establishment wants.

Both of these are vying for the man in overalls with the sleeveless flannel shirt vote--'cause they may strike it rich one day.

Now if only the American people will heed Reich's and other's warnings of the usual "tax-cut" rubbish from RepubliCons and corporate-whore Dems - tax cuts for the wealthiest means the 99% paying for them in so many ways! The tax plans Bernie Sanders supports are supported by many more Americans in polls!

https://berniesanders.com/issues/making-the-wealthy-pay-fair-share/

http://www.ontheissues.org/2016/Bernie_Sanders_Tax_Reform.htm

'Now if only the American people will heed Reich's and other's warnings of the usual "tax-cut" rubbish from RepubliCons and corporate-whore Dems -"

It should be obvious that SOME Americans can't see past their own asses, but lots of others DO get it... hence the huge turnouts at Mr. Sanders' rallies.

By always insisting the onus is on voters, all of the machinations in place that impede the actual WILL of the governed are like switches deliberately turned off.

These include:

1. The Mass media's capture of the public's arteries of communications, and through their monopoly on what passes for news (including granting face time to candidates) manufacturing consent for Establishment Candidates.

2. The proprietary ownership rules blocking the public from monitoring what electronic voting machine outcomes (those that can be manipulated by computer codes) indicate

3. The costs of elections and how Big Money funds its own favorite candidates

4. The way Bernie Sanders is consistently discredited, discounted, silenced, marginalized, rendered invisible so that TOO many Black voters (as but one demographic) are clueless as to his actual positions and the FACT that he's a better advocate of the Black Community than is Mrs. Clinton, the poseur

5. The drug war creating felons who then would be disenfranchised and how this has effectively stopped several million African-Americans from voting

6. The Republican's use of redistricting and other gerrymandering tactics that grant THEM a disproportionate share of representative votes

7. The new policy of "voter I.D." laws that are in place to LIMIT how many elderly, student, and Black voters actually pass through the new gauntlet of oppositions put in place to impede them

I think it was Dave Johnson who said that the percentage of Republicans who favor Trump distills to 18% of the U.S. voting public.

THAT is hardly a majority...

All of the items on the list I provided are of far more significance than the meme that always blames voters/citizens/the public/the great amorphous WE, (all) Americans and other ridiculous generalities that lump ALL persons into one camp.

I would suggest that the largest redistribution of wealth from the poor to the rich has already happened, this under Presidencies from Reagan onwards including Democratic administrations.

What! Me worry?

Cruz's serious proposals look much like what would have been written in Mad Magazine a few years back to lampoon the excessive greed of too many of the wealthy.

The best answer to refute the rational behind Cruz's tax proposals that I am currently familiar with is Robert Reich's 2013 film "Inequality for All". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZsGDIfeqUM

I agree that the mechanisms you list are tools to keep people from the truth, but we can still expect them to rise beyond such manipulations and impediments - some indeed "can't see past their own asses" and are easily manipulated, others that do "get it" are by definition capable of seeing truth, and the onus should be on the "they" and "we" to vote for righteousness - for Sanders. The onus is on voters to recognize the machinations of the Dark Side and try, at least, to evade, smash or obviate them......How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
Peace and love.......