Home | About | Donate

Why Fast-Track Trade Deals, But Not Climate Agreements?

Why Fast-Track Trade Deals, But Not Climate Agreements?

Sujata Dey

Maude Barlow and I are in Paris to participate in events surrounding the Paris Climate Change Conference after spending the last month touring Europe to warn Europeans about CETA, the Canadian-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement. Based on Canada's almost 30 years of experience with free trade with the U.S. and Mexico, we have experiences to share.

"Why Fast-Track Trade Deals, But Not Climate Agreements?"
Now that may well be the question of the Century!

There is no "right to profit" though I would agree that there is right not to be forced to make a loss.

Well, this was probably a rhetorical question, but here goes --

Ideas and intentions in these sorts of situations vary a lot. Institutions regularly, even usually make decisions that few or none of their leaders or constituents would make left free to their own devices.

That said --- the main thing here is not that these people do not believe that there is a problem, but that they are trying to resolve it for themselves, not for you or me or others. To be shortish, the believe that humans are greedy, selfish, foolish--all that Hobbesian stuff--and that we must all therefore be taken advantage of.

In general, although they tend to believe that they themselves are psychopathic based on experience, that other humans are intrinsically so. They conclude that treating people well is a bad idea.

One one bites this basic psychopathic bullet, the rest follows close behind: deceit and violence to take control of intrinsically evil beings makes sense, and nurture of them does not--or would not, were such things to exist.

Because:

Trade deals increase profits for the most powerful predatory looters on Earth.

Climate agreements reduce profits for the most powerful predatory looters on Earth.

Any questions?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

These are the two biggest immediate threats to our lives and livelihoods on this planet with the possible exception of Nuclear War-
I can only hope enough of us rise to the occasion and not look back in solemn regret at what we could have done, with that 20/20 hindsight thing-

‘And these words shall then become
Like Oppression’s thundered doom
Ringing through each heart and brain.
Heard again—again—again—

‘Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number—
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you—
Ye are many—they are few.’

The Mask of Anarchy-
Percy Bysshe Shelley

Indeed-"Corporate Feudalism"-Great post there andoarike!

"European companies would love to get their hands on our mainly public municipal services, which could be run by private companies with the motive trumping public service." -S. Dey

Should this read in part, "...with the profit motive trumping public service"?

Once again the problem is capitalism. My saying is unfettered capitalism inevitably leads to fascism. We see this in these international corporate profit agreements (not "trade" agreements). Capitalist corporations' interests are merged with government interests which is, by definition, fascism. When corporations can sue the government for laws that impinge on profits, that's fascism.

Why think we live in a democracy?

By articulating the dangers of CETA, TTP, TTIP and TISA Barlow and Dey are the most critical COP 21 attendees. Hopefully they are making it clear to other attendees that CETA, TTP, TTIP and TISA will have the power to destroy anything and everything positive that comes out of Paris.

They call them public/private partnerships in the US and they privatize profits while saddling the public with costs and damages.