Home | About | Donate

Why Greta Thunberg Inspires Me

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/09/16/why-greta-thunberg-inspires-me

" Why Greta Thunberg Inspires Me. "
And me!

This article’s author, of the David Suzuki Foundation, says the climate strike is Sept 27.

I was planning to go on Sept 20 in Calgary to City Hall - this is the first day of the week long climate week I take it?

So maybe I’ll go both days, as I just checked and there is a climate strike slated for both Sept 20 & 27, both at City Hall (both days are Fridays, I see).

I’ve been inundated with emails - repetitive to the nth degree, i.e., poorly done and poorly coordinated.

Nevertheless, I am going to see who’s there. I plan to go early, to really see who’s there.

Not expecting much - but who knows.

I’ll go because of Greta !

2 Likes

Putting a 16-year-old girl on the firing line is ridiculous, regardless of the cause.

1 Like

You still don’t get it, do you? This isn’t a “cause”; it’s an existential emergency. We are all, including my two year old grandson (especially my two year old grandson!!!), on the firing line. Children, like Greta, are stepping up to the plate because they see that adults are failing to do anything.
You may have missed it, but MsThunberg is the originator and moral leader of a worldwide climate (in)action protest by school students. Do you seriously think adults could inspire the world’s youth in such a way? In fact, on the contrary, it’s the children’s movement she started, single-handedly, that was the inspiration for the Extinction Rebellion movement.
To paraphrase something she said, “What do you do when you see your house is on fire and the grown ups are sitting around discussing what to do about it?”

3 Likes

I am always surprised that a ‘progressive’ site, as Common Dreams styles itself, and especially the posters here, still consider Greta a ‘child’ ?

It seems an artifact of our over-controlled and specialized civilization.

Once you hit puberty, you may be young, but you are no longer a child. The teenager is an invention - actually an imposition, stunting the normal development of the young adult. I see even Greta adheres to this fiction - calling herself on numerous occasions a child. I would argue further that our civilization is unusually good at rendering even adults over twenty very childlike. It is perhaps why populism in its present form is so successful - stunted adults still seeking a father figure.

Nice reply to @yore, by the way.

1 Like

Excellent rebuttal, Mick! Too many people still do not get it, including some of my relatives!