Home | About | Donate

Why Has Israel Banned Jewish Leftists But Not Members Of Nazi-linked Groups?

Why Has Israel Banned Jewish Leftists But Not Members Of Nazi-linked Groups?

Natasha Roth

There is a toxic mix of prejudices at work here: racism, illiberalism and religious chauvinism.

"But the formality of this step — banning outright leaders and key members of a Jewish organization — is yet further concrete evidence of what has been apparent for some time: that even as the Israeli government makes crystal-clear its commitment to having as few non-Jews as possible within its borders, it is also becoming increasingly blatant about possessing criteria for the types of Jews it considers kosher."(Photo: Ryan Rodrick Beller/Shutterstock)

It’s censorship. They know BDS is what worked in South Africa, and they’re scared to death of the fact-finders like those crazy Quakers.

No one said there isn’t a profit from stealing other people’s land and homes for your own use. If profit was the only measure of a society then Israel could be proud but its not. I remember when Israel had every good wish for a new beginning, it really is sad what has happened to that good will lost to greed and abuse.

Not sure whom you’re addressing, or how you might back up your charges, but the “Jewish Leftists” in the headline are members of Jewish Voice for Peace. I’ve seen them at work with my denomination, the Presbyterian Church (USA), when we voted to divest our Foundation and pension funds from three US corporations that were selling Israel products and services (such as armored bulldozers) that are used directly in documented oppression of Palestinians. I was impressed with the JVP’s peacefulness and grace.

Also on the blacklist, along with, indeed, several Palestinian and Palestinian-supporter groups, is the American Friends Service Committee, who I know don’t teach hatred of anyone.

A_Reality_Czech is engaging in classical trolling - he joined this forum 2 hours ago and his first post here was 2 hours ago. He does not come here in good faith for debate and discussion, but rather is part of an organized effort to mock and demoralize supporters of BDS and the left in general. He may be a volunteer in a right-wing fascist organization or he may be employed by the right-wing state of Israel as a Habara agent. But it is futile to engage in discussion or debate with a troll, becasue, to repeat, they do not come here for good-faith discussion and debate.

It is best to just ignore them.

Israelis, and a majority of US Jews, have come full-circle. Once the victims of fascists, they are now fascists.

Very depressing - but our fight will go on.

I would take issue with this blanket condemnation. I believe polls show that the majority of US Jews are embarrassed by the Israeli government. And remember that they have a parliamentary system; Netanyahu was not directly elected by a majority of Israelis.

I wrote that it was a majority of US Jews, not all of them. In my city the great majority of Jews are pretty right-wing and anti-Palestinian. Of course, this should not be surprising. At least as great a majority of non-Jews fully support what Israel is doing to the Palestinians too.

And parliamentary system are MORE democratic than US-style systems - just one trip to Canada shows that. Sure, nobody but the poeple in his constituency voted for Netanyahu, but they did vote for his party - which is every bit as extremist as Netanyahu himself or he would not be the Likud Party leader.

Another innumurate Apartheid supporter.

As I recall, Bebe had to do quite a scramble to gather a majority of the Knesset. But let’s get back to the topic.

Indeed I did, as a numerate person would know that raw time series figures don’t in any way measure the impact of BDS.

Here I go breaking my own rule about feeding trolls …

A substantial minority of Palestinians are Christian. Yassir Arafat’s wife was Christian. Many Palestinians are athiests. Look at how Ahed Tamimi dresses and does her hair. Her hijab-wearing Muslim mother does not mind and loves her just as she is

My gay brother and his partner are putting up a 65 year old hijab-wearing Syrian refugee woman, who has a gay Syrian refugee son that she loves dearly, living nearby, too. She does not mind their relationship at all and cooks them sumptuous Mediterranean feasts and baked treats most evenings.

You are spouting racist Islamophobic hate. Are you really Czech (i.e. a vile euro-fascist), or are you a USAn fascist?

Go away.

Well, we can wish it were different, but Norman Finkelstein, on Democracy Now this morning, pretty much confirmed my earlier post about the tiny numbers of Jews critical of Israel in both Israel and the US.

This is the first time I’ve heard Dr. Finkelstein in several years. What a brave moral giant he is in the face of the career, destruction, blacklisting, genuine poverty, and slander at the hands of the Zionist-academic-political establishment!

A_Reality_Czech,

Contrary to Zionism’s myths, “all” Jews, or even “most” Jews are NOT indigenous to Palestine.

This can be shown by their “right of return,” which exists for any Jew (even a Czech who may have converted to Judaism just yesterday), who by dint of yesterday’s conversion is deemed to be legally “returning” from an “absence” of over 2000 years.

Even more ludicrously, to then claim that this “right of return” trumps that of its real indigenous persons, many still with the deeds and keys to the land from which they or their parents were displaced JUST 70 years ago.

Whatever one may think about the claim Palestinian Arabs have to Palestine, the Zionist claim that any Jew (even a Czech who converted just yesterday) has a GREATER right to the land than these indigenous peoples is the height of disingenuousness.

A-Reality_Czech,

Setting aside for the moment the claims of some Zionists who believe Israel invented water itself, by your logic, we shouldn’t have opposed the Germans because we utilized their technological advances in some fashion?

It’s hard to find a country that had made more contributions to science that Germany, and many of the items we used daily could arguably be traced to a scientific advance made by a German.

Notwithstanding such ludicrous logic, the scientific advancements (real or imagined) of a country engaged in human rights violations should have NO bearing whatsoever on whether or not to boycott it.

A_Reality_Czech,

Notwithstanding the false bravado of pro-Zionist posters, their entire existence (including settlement building) is completely dependent upon their foreign trade and continued massive US aid.

That is why they spend so much time and money fighting to defend this life line with their hasbara here and elsewhere. Their concerted efforts betray the lie that BDS is not a big deal.

The irony is that those working the hardest to get Israel to stop settlement activity with non-violent actions like BDS are actually the ones trying to save the two-state solution, and those blindly supporting the status quo are racing towards a one-state one.

Demographics being what they are, that one-state won’t be a Jewish one.

Unfortunately, in the hit-and-run manner of trolls, Mr. Czech will not be coming back here to respond. He’s off trolling the next internet forum on his list, never to return.

Israeli Govt Withholds International Monies for Holocaust Survivors in Poverty…While Using Holocaust to Justify Chauvenist Policies

"The average age of an Israeli Holocaust survivor today is 87. It’s been estimated that by 2025, all of the remaining survivors will have died. In a testament to how invisible survivors are in Israeli society, and how apathetic the public is to their plight, Katz’s report [regarding the Israeli goat’s failure to give internationally allotted ‘compensation’ monies to Holocaust survivor Jews living in Poverty] made absolutely no waves in the Israeli media. It should be news that Holocaust survivors are being left to die in poverty, all while their legacy is used as a justification for the existence of the nation that has so badly neglected them.

http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-news-and-politics/222735/israel-abuses-holocaust-survivors

from “Remove Our Grandmother’s Name from the [Israeli Holocaust Remembrance] Wall at Yad Vashem”

"[W]e ask that our grandmother’s name be removed from the wall at Yad Vashem. Her name is Gertrud Neumann. Your records state that she was born in Kattowitz on June 6, 1875 and died in Theresienstadt…

"Our grandmother was a victim of that very ideal of ethnic sovereignty in whose cause Israel has shed so much blood for so long. I was among the many Jews who thought nothing of embracing that ideal, despite the sufferings it had inflicted on our own race. It took thousands of Palestinian lives before, finally, I realized how foolish we had been.

“Our complicity was despicable. I do not believe that the Jewish people, in whose name you have committed so many crimes with such outrageous complacency, can ever rid itself of the shame you have brought upon us. Nazi propaganda, for all its calumnies, never disgraced and corrupted the Jews; you have succeeded in this.”

https://www.counterpunch.org/2009/02/20/remove-our-grandmother-s-name-from-the-wall-at-yad-vashem/

Remove Our Grandmother’s Name from the Israeli Holocaust Remembrance Wall at Yad Vashem

I do not believe that the Jewish people, in whose name you have committed so many crimes can ever rid itself of the shame you have brought upon us. Nazi propaganda, for all its calumnies, never disgraced and corrupted the Jews; you have succeeded in this.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2009/02/20/remove-our-grandmother-s-name-from-the-wall-at-yad-vashem/