Home | About | Donate

Why I Sit with 'Kap'

Why I Sit with 'Kap'

Elizabeth Ann Thompson

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick (Kap) refused to stand for the national anthem in a preseason game against Green Bay. It wasn’t the first time he refused to stand, but the other times went unnoticed.

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,” he explained afterward. “To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way.”

"Address African slavery."

Dr. Jill Stein and the Green Party is one of the best political movements that I have seen. This lady is the real deal! And if somehow she would be allowed in the debates, Jill would eat the two chicken hawks Trump and Hillary for lunch and all that would be left on the stage is their bones and feathers!

Absolutely!
I was protesting in high school in 1967 not standing for the pledge of allegiance. Another national identity of lies.

The third led of the fascist stool, a rabid patriotism.

Not to mention that it's a hymn of acclamation to war:

"And the rocket's red glare!
The bombs bursting in air!"

I too have been sitting at the Warrior games for many years, as it is such a load of pseudo-patriotism paid for by our own tax dollars at the Pentagon. Hats off to Colin and to all those who have the courage to put their butts and lives on the line to insist on the fulfillment of our supposed democratic ideals. Fight the Power.

Do you reckon that if half of us stayed seated anything would change?

I too have sat for decades. No respect for what imperialist amerika does to the World, and its own people!
Once again, the u.s. of hypocrisy delivers: thousands are slaughtered across the planet by the imperialist forces, and the deluded masses do NOT care! Yet, an athlete sits for justice, and the deluded masses flip out!

Poor Colin. Oppressed so hard he could not stand.

GO DOWN COLIN (To the tune of Go Down Moses)

When Colin was in Levi's-Land
                 Let my people go
           Oppressed so hard he could  not stand
                  Let my people go
            Go down, Colin
            Way down in Levi's-Land
            Tell Chip Kelley-O
                   Let my people go.

Protests by millionaire athletes are fine, but the deeper question is the critical role mass sports play in soaking up emotion and thought that might have been put to more productive use. Such spectator sports evolved together with industrial capitalism in the latter 19th century and early 20th century when radical workers groups threatened the existing order, and served to distract working men, specifically, from the oppression under which they lived. The cheering for one's own team and jeering at supposed enemies from other cites substituted for action against the bosses, and that continues to this day. When you work hard all day, there is only so much space in your mind for other topics and when that space can be filled with pointless statistics of sport, the bosses win.

YES, all actions count, still, do Not be attached to the fruits of your action, just Do It caz its Right!
All is connected!