Home | About | Donate

Why I Still Have Hope In The American Dream That Failed Me

Why I Still Have Hope In The American Dream That Failed Me

Jeffrey Sterling

I am in a federal prison in Colorado. While here, I have read Ta-Nahesi Coates’ award-winning book Between the World and Me. Though my background is different from Coates’ (I did not grow up in the mean streets of a large city), I enjoyed reading Between the World and Me because I identify with so much of it. It is also those commonalities which make it rather difficult for me to read. Between the World and Me serves as a reminder and a warning.

As a white man, i never believed in "the American Dream." Somehow early in my life i came to believe that - as important and meaningful as the words and lives and struggles of so many surely are, from some of the "founding fathers" through all the fights for liberation which have never ended - this society and economy were built on genocide, slavery, looting, war and ecocide, and the driving forces of patriarchy, white supremacy, human superiority and greed not only continued, but by many key measures were accelerating.

By the time Jimmy Carter was elected in 1976, it seemed clear to me that for all the good achieved by movements for racial integration, women's liberation, environment and anti-war (movements that were all underway in my earliest years), nothing was going to turn this culture off the road to total ruin. Reagan's election in 1980 was no surprise to me, confirming the failure of "the '60s" movements to turn society off the road to ruin.

The acceleration toward complete planetary and human disaster continues today, and we can all taste it. Now the entire world is dis-integrating, society and ecology. It's hard for me to understand how anyone can imagine any "American Dream," while the real America plays its continuing lead role in omnicide and civilizational collapse.

Spying while black

“And your very flesh shall be a great poem.”
― Walt Whitman

I'm with you until this phrase...

What IS the real America? Is it the policies of genocide which represent the interests of the few being used against the many?

Isn't the "real" America a product of all persons, a highly diverse mosaic... rather than the sins of its bankers, industrialists, and MIC (and the few, deluded or paid for their loyalties, who support this trifecta)?

Sorry to hear that you are one of the many whistle blowers imprisoned by the self styled "most transparent president", Mr. Sterling.

Sorry Jeffrey Sterling I can not stand the American Dream in any way, shape, or form. To me the American Dream is nothing more than a mirage.

Mr. Sterling:.... May I refer you to the works of Marshall Vian Summers as you may have some time on your hands for these works. These may change the path on which you are travelling.

What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
Like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?
Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.
Or does it explode?

Langston Hughes

"We can all taste it" but too many people are denying the implications that the "taste" of imminent catastrophe I'd leading to. I can't say as I really blame them because who wants to face the fact that, to switch to another metaphor, we are on a runaway train heading at ever in increasing speed towards a steep cliff, which means we not only have to stop it but turn it around and get it heading in a new direction -- especially since no one is certain what the best new direction might be,

I think that sense of impending doom is what is behind all the bombing and massacring and "senseless" killings. People who reach a certain deep desperation point feel they have to do SOMETHING, and using bullets or explosives feels to them like it is REAL, that it's cutting through the yakkety yack crap, an antidote to all the talking and writing and opinion mongering that isn't really helping anyone to stop feeling but not admitting to feeling doomed and helpless

The catch is that every such occurrence makes everything that much scarier and makes thing a little bit more worse.

Whatever happened to freedom of speech and of association? It is anathema to the government, irrespective of skin color. This is why I cannot stand and sing the national anthem. When enough of us stay seated, perhaps the system might take heed.

He is not and was never a 'spy'. He is a whistleblower within his employer - the CIA as to their illegal actions. He was railroaded by the Obama oligarchs who do not like light being shed on their illegal activities. To call him a spy is not only wrong( do you even know what a 'spy' is legally ?... ) but dispicable. He is a brave and courageous man we could use a lot more of in this sad benighted hellhole that call the USA...

Hi ruckndl, Freedom of speech, and association is on life support, with freedom of thoughts in the crosshairs.