Home | About | Donate

Why I Support the BDS Movement Against Israel

Why I Support the BDS Movement Against Israel

Chris Hedges

The Palestinians are poor. They are powerless. They have no voice or influence in the halls of power. They are demonized. They do not have well-heeled lobbyists doling out campaign contributions and pushing through pro-Palestinian legislation. No presidential candidate is appealing to donors—as Hillary Clinton did when she sent a letter to media mogul Haim Saban denouncing critics of Israel—by promising to advance the interests of the Palestinian people.

Thank you for telling it like it is.

All of this from "God's chosen people". Now what does this say about God?

what about history: death to Israel chants then and now by the hostile environment?
I am worried about the LEFT , which is left by historical facts and only argues in theories of economy phraseology.
How is the HAMAS financed?

BDS: People Powered Economic Diplomacy

Neo-con stooge!

Really enjoyed Hedges' last paragraph.

I would like to force all my liberal friends, the supporters of Obama, Hillary, Sanders, etc., to read that paragraph.

On the off chance that it might penetrate their cognitive dissonance.

Well that's what I thought. That Bernie Sanders was a zionist, but I wasn't 100% sure. : )

► When do you reckon the Israelis will quit their occupying and thieving in the new districts, and get their thieving little fannies back over the separation barrier?

Jill Stein of the green party of america is running for president. She is against selling israel weapons. The green party is for the right of return.
Among the reasons i support BDS is to debase aipac the israeli lobby power over my government. America should be about liberty and justice for all. By the people for the people.

I am told that all the U.S. tax payer dollars that is given each year to Israel (about $4 billion) is earmarked to purchase U.S. weapons. Is this how you want your money to be used?
How about a boycott of the IRS?

Anyone who looks to George Carlin for insights into ultimate things is a fool.

My "Commonwealth's" House of Representatives recently voted, unanimously, for a resolution condemning BDS as an "Anti-Semitic Hate Group - citing its (non existent) "harassment and attacks against Jews on campus." It didn't mention that many BDS activists are Jews themselves - although I suppose they can be simply dismissed as "self-hating Jews".

WiseOwl -
That was racist and you are hardly wise at all. Israel's rightwing government is no different than our own government like under GW Bush and Cheney or Nixon in Cambodia or Reagan in Nicaragua... We opposed that stuff. We protested the Vietnam War. We were Americans and opposed to what our government was doing.

There are many Jews who oppose the rightwingnut policies of Israel's government. You spoke of Jews (God's chosen people). Maybe God feels kindred to those who oppose injustice and not those who create injustice no matter who they are. Wise Owl... you gave yourself a dopey name considering ... you aren't that wise. Racism is NOT progressive... I thought you should know.

Disagree.

There are many kinds of fool. I prefer those who have heard some of Carlin's insights -- they seem to have a broader understanding of things, and tend to have a better sense of humor.

Much of Carlin is humorous, this was a silly rant proving nothing. There are many great debates between theists and atheists throughout history, carried on by intellects devoted to serious inquiry, those debates are of worth to the inquiring mind, not this diatribe. For example, the Copelston, Bertrand Russell debate, or the G. K. Chesterton-George Bernard Shaw debate, or the discussion of the writings of the brilliant atheist existentialist thinkers Sartre and Camus, one could go on and on.

Ishmailav -
I've never heard that claim before that the founders called for the destruction of Israel. Could you back up that statement showing where that is true? A quote for example or statement by these people perhaps?

Bombing Arabs and discriminating against Arabs and confining them into ghettoes in overall aim reminiscent of the Warsaw ghetto is also anti-semitic. I would like to see the end of anti-semitism, once and for all

any other argument?

"It is a species of Jewish fascism."

Only a species of fascism? I would call the forcible displacement of 700 000-900 000 people from their ancestral homes and farms, the rape and murder of many along the way, the confinement of their descendents to small intensely controlled areas and the murder of many more when they fight back, to be something along the lines of a genocide or ethnocide. Of course, I refer to the treatment of the Armenians by the Turks and Kurds in 1915; no, sorry, I forget, that Holocaust didn't happen; to the treatment by Germans of Jews in Germany, Poland and France between 1933 and 1945; no, hang on, wasn't it the Serbs who were doing that to the Croations or someone else in the Balkans not too long ago?. It can't be the Israelis who have done that to the Palestinian Arabs, as to think that would be anti-semitic.