Home | About | Donate

Why ICE Raids Imperil Us All

Why ICE Raids Imperil Us All

Andrew Moss

A restaurant worker and father of four daughters in Southern California is arrested while dropping his youngest daughter off at school. A young woman in Mississippi is taken into custody after speaking at a news conference about her fears of being deported; she is released on unspecified terms only after attorneys, including lawyers for the Southern Poverty Law Center and the National Immigration Law Center, intervene. A popular restaurant owner is apprehended near his home in a small town in Illinois and released on bond only after an outpouring of local support, including letters from l

A good article, but we need to never leave out the fact that deportation has been ongoing over many Administrations, both Dem and Repub; for instance Obama deported more undocumented people than any other President. I supported Bernie; voted Jill. The other side of this coin is that small business and large corporations employ known undocumented people. This keeps unemployment numbers high, wages lower and work place safety complaints at a minimum. The prosecution of undocumented hiring should emphasize employers, not employees.

"In choosing the general pronoun "they" over a specific historical reference to Nazis, Muller offered a stark warning transcending time and place: crushing the rights of individuals in any society ultimately means crushing the rights of all. When silent complicity prevails, the gates to authoritarianism are opened wide. Yet the choice to speak on behalf of the other can still be exercised if citizens act in time. In such choosing we can see not only the movement of the individual conscience. We can also see how democracy itself – the culture and institutions sustaining human rights – can be kept alive as well."

This is truth. When one's rights are crushed -- ALL the people's rights are in danger. And this didn't just start. They have disregarded the rights of people of color in this country since the get-go. They was allowed to continue. Now we see that we never should have let that happen because now we are all in danger.

I know it is a cliche' that first they came for: but I agree that ICE raids imperil us all.

Yes, they call the workers the "illegals" but companies and their managers who illegally hire people should be "illegals." NAFTA apparently was legal but it can legally help destroy the local economies in Mexico driving people north to the soulless maquiladoras and across the border. This whole hiring thing has made it so easy to abuse people without legal rights so why wouldn't these companies want employees that may feel they have no rights and that they can pay less than they should. Might undercut unions too. All of this seems like a trap designed to hurt poorer people in the US and Mexico and then divide them - while the "illegal" owners win out without ever being fined or going to jail. It is just another part of the US racket that always seems to favor the rich and powerful.

There are valid progressive reasons to have laws on immigration and enforce them. Obviously Trump has no interest in looking at problems reasonably so ICE is out of control and we need to push back. But that doesn't prevent me from registering my opinion that I only want people that are citizens, green card holders, or who have valid work visas working in the United States. Bob Scheer used to say that we should have a national ID card that would make it clear if you have the ability to work here and then penalize employers (quite strongly) who hire someone who can't work here legally. Romney was right about one thing - when people can't work, they do self-deport. That is a lot less traumatizing and less prone to error than people with guns storming into your apartment.

Thanks for your reply and thoughts. All of the undocumented, "illegal", people I may have met are good, decent people. All of your points are accepted and well-taken. Thanks, again.

yES, if we had any decent leadership we would immediately provide temporary work permits to all people working in the US and they should be provided a due process through law to gain permanent status or citizenship. We don't need a police state rounding up people, throwing them in jail and throwing lives into turmoil while the economy and communities would be thrown into turmoil. After that process - the US can begin cracking down on companies and their managers only - not workers. That would discourage employment without proper documentation. Forget walls and other stupid stuff. In fact - I believe that instead of the wall - we should actually have an international zone where people can live and work on either side and cross the border without immigration. Immigration could be situated further in the country similar to what Mexico has always done.

Good ideas. Tear down that wall, Mr. Gorbechav (sorry about the spelling, got to run).

"crushing the rights of individuals in any society ultimately means crushing the rights of all"

Actually, in this particular case, nobody's rights are being crushed. Undocumented immigrants (or whatever the PC term du jour is) do not have the right to stay in the United States, and are being deported. It is pretty standard procedure in any country.

Also, it is unfortunate that prof.Moss is using Rev. Niemöller's words for this. By doing so he's gonna make them as irrelevant as the accusations of racism and fascism that have been thrown around so much lately they don't mean anything anymore.

What about the legal immigrants who have been waiting for years to get a Green Card? How do you think one of them would feel, having waited years to bring his wife and child and now having millions jump ahead. I know those guys probably don't really matter cuz they don't march in the streets with another country's flag just to get attention so nobody cares. Whose hear is bleeding for them?

I'm not suggesting that they be denied their green card. I'm just being realistic that you cannot deport and jail 12 million people without a massive police action that would end up creating a huge human rights disaster and more misery than you could even imagine. No - life is not fair - but we need to be realists as well and when we can limit unnecessary suffering - why not? In reality, I don't think things would hold up too well here if immigrants were not here as part of the workforce. We need solutions and hope for everyone. If the business community had wanted to give those waiting in line for green cards jobs - they shouldn't have illegally hired people without documents. Let's be real.

Besides the obvious cruelty and inhumanity involved in ICE acting like a Gestapo, there is this: the "detention centers" used by ICE are essentially prisons, mostly operated by the private for-profit prison industry, whose share prices are way up since the "Election" in November......however, they have fewer restrictions for treatment of those incarcerated, than our traditional prisons.

I am sympathetic to the jumping the line argument. And I don't want unlimited immigration (open borders). The logical conclusion is I support some immigration enforcement (see my earlier comment). However, that doesn't have to mean I support any type of enforcement however brutal.

All of this might have been by design years ago. Destroy the Mexican economy essentially forcing people to flee to the US for economic survival but also helping US businesses to undercut established labor of people who could assert their rights with those who could not. In the meantime start investing in private prisons anticipating their massive use when they turn on the immigrants. Build up a gestapo like police force (ICE) which will initially be used against immigrants but later will be able to enforce whatever they want against US citizens.

Also , by removing millions of dissatisfied people from Mexico pressure to reform is taken off the corrupt oligarchies of Mexico to reform their economy/government to the benefit of the people. It is all a win-win for the elite classes who control both countries and have no loyalty to the people of either country.

True, the US has let this go unchecked for far too long. That's how we got int this situation in the first place. Now someone finally wants to enforce the law and some people think it's a police state.

as for deporting 12 million, just take it easy one person, one day at at a time, go after the employers (yeah, like that's gonna happen), and slowly the backlog will be cleared. Plus a message will be sent that illegal immigration will not be tolerated in the US anymore.

No one is saying the US can deport and jail 12 million people (or nobody with any brains). I assume Trump thinks he can scare people into self-deporting or perhaps he will get tough on employers which I still think is the only way it could work. I was curious what % of the undocumented workforce worked for actual companies and what % worked directly in households (which should also be targeted if hiring undocumented labor if employers are targeted). I found this in the Washington Post in 2015:

Nationwide, unauthorized immigrants are clustered in a few occupations, notably farming, fishing and forestry (26 percent of the workforce), building and grounds (17 percent), and construction and mining (14 percent). They comprise 24 percent of all groundskeepers, 23 percent of domestic workers and 20 percent of those in clothing manufacture.

These percentages aren't broken down as a % of total undocumented workers, but as % of each occupation total workforce but I'm sure the numbers are out there somewhere. I imagine it would take enforcement against individual families who "hire" as well. But from these % numbers, we can clearly see there will be some jolts to the economy when the law is enforced against employers. It will likely mean people who are left to do those jobs will get paid more and there will be less overall work done. This means people should get used to their houses not being as clean, going out to eat as much, or having as pristine a landscaping job done every week. In my case, I'd rather all employment was above board and people were paid well and had no fear of INS or ICE or whatever when making a complaint against their employer. The current situation is intolerable - we must come together as a country and figure out a solution. It's stupid that we've waited this long to let it blow up like this.