Home | About | Donate

Why Impeach Trump? It's the Right Thing to Do

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/07/26/why-impeach-trump-its-right-thing-do

…how about sworn constitutional duty?

There are no exceptions in the constitution for Political Pragmatism or whether or not it will ‘win’ in either house.

“democrat” leadership is criminally negligent in its responsibilities.

how about Accessory After The Fact?
Definition An accessory-after-the-fact is someone who assists

1. someone who has committed a crime,
  2. after the person has committed the crime,
  3. with knowledge that the person committed the crime, and
  4. with the intent to help the person avoid arrest or punishment. An accessory after the fact may be held liable for, among other things, obstruction of justice.
9 Likes

I have been hesitant to begin impeachment proceedings for all the reasons given by Representatives and pundits. Until now! tRump’s tweets defaming congresswomen with lies is slanderous and have convinced me he is irredeemable. In the end, he cares only about himself and riling up his small group of supporters by misusing the power he has been temporarily given.

The impeachment hearings and his impeachment will be instructive for the public, encapsulate this man’s aberrations, and most importantly show that the Constitutional remedy for a rogue executive is alive and well when much of today’s political process is corrupt and operating for the interest of the fortunate few.

I have decided the protection of the republic is more important than the short-term partisan concerns. As Mr Reich writes, this man’s presidential actions threaten the Constitution’s authority. The House must reassert the founding document’s primacy. No person is above the law.

6 Likes

Reich didn’t mention violations of the Emoluments Clauses.

Here is the announcement of the Articles of Impeachment last year that does cover those:

3 Likes

Impeachment is too good for Don, at least insofar as he has not the slightest belief nor interest in the mechanisms that govern our country.
“Disloyalty to the country violates the oath of citizenship.” - Adam Schiff
Don should have his citizenship permanently revoked.

1 Like

We don’t have a Trump problem, we have a GOP problem wherein Trump is simply the worst of many symptoms of that GOP problem.

As long as the GOP controls the US Senate, attempting to impeach Trump will be a wheel spinning exercise at best that will likely strengthen the GOP when the Senate kills the impeachment.

It doesn’t take a Washington DC veteran like Reich to understand that all too often “the right thing to do” plus two bucks buys a cup of coffee (three bucks in high rent areas)…just common sense.

1 Like

I certainly do not think Trump is a super human being/president but all this Russian-involment that swayed the election was a Hildabeast false-flag generated political move that may prove to be an indictable crime. Obstruction? How can you obstruct an investigation you know is phony from the get-go? Mueller said they didn’t have the evidence that proved collusion. Hildabeast was a terrible flawed candidate and you have to come to grips with that. Obama could never have been elected if a significant number of “deplorables” hadn’t voted for him. Yet those same deplorables switched from Hildabeast to vote Trump in. While you are so busy trying to impeach the Trump and blaming him for the world going up in flames, it prevents you from looking at yourself of how you ended up with such an unworthy candidate or really looking deeply at why so many deplorables voted for a non-establishment, radical candidate. Do you think putting in another corporate beholden president is going to make that much difference? If you want a better country, you had better get past just blaming Trump and focus on what could really make a difference such as honest public regulated, non-corporate dominated elections and stopping all the rampant rep bribing before, during, and after elected office. Gopherit

3 Likes

To chase after Trump because he accepted money from foreign powers is a terrible excuse in light of the money that Israel has spent bribing American politicians in both Party’s. If we locked up anyone who has accepted money from AIPAC, we would have no one in Congress or the Senate right now.
As for Trump going over Congress to wage war is also an ill advised tactic as both Republican and Democrats have been bombing people without Congressional approval for quite some time. Obama could have rescinded Bush’s order to allow a president to bomb innocent people indiscriminately around the globe, but Obama ‘dropped the ball’ on that one.
As for Trump initiating illegal wars of aggression, he is actually the first president in generations that hasn’t unilaterally started to bomb a new country, however his term is not over yet and we still have to cross our fingers hoping that he can make it another 18 months without giving into the loonies (Bolton, Abrahms, Pompeo) who are constantly haranguing him to bomb anyone and everyone.
I would have impeached him for not paying his taxes. While this seems to be the obvious move, it is suspicious that no one has been pushing Congress to act on this particular point of interest.
I would also impeach him for ‘conflicts of interest’ in which he profits from every deal he makes with anyone. Again, the problem here is that this is a common practice for quite a few politicians. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree and too many of the indiscretions that Trump makes, have a long list of precedents that no one has balked at.
Because the current establishment is so steeped in corrupt money, it is difficult to go after anyone without opening a can of worms. Until the 99% can clean house of these corporate lackeys, no one will get impeached, must less having to answer to a higher authority for their crimes against their country.

3 Likes

And who hired “the loonies (Bolton, Abrahms, Pompeo)” ?

Impeach. Impeach. Impeach. Impeach.Impeach. Impeach. Impeach. Impeach.Impeach. Impeach. Impeach. Impeach.Impeach. Impeach. Impeach. Impeach.Impeach. Impeach. Impeach. Impeach.Impeach. Impeach. Impeach. Impeach.Impeach. Impeach. Impeach. Impeach.Impeach. Impeach. Impeach. Impeach.Impeach. Impeach. Impeach. Impeach.Impeach. Impeach. Impeach. Impeach.Impeach. Impeach. Impeach. Impeach.Impeach. Impeach. Impeach. Impeach.Impeach. Impeach. Impeach. Impeach.Impeach. Impeach. Impeach. Impeach.Impeach. Impeach. Impeach. Impeach.Impeach. Impeach. Impeach. Impeach.Impeach. Impeach. Impeach. Impeach.Impeach. Impeach. Impeach. Impeach.Impeach. Impeach. Impeach. Impeach.Impeach. Impeach. Impeach. Impeach.Impeach. Impeach. Impeach. Impeach.Impeach. Impeach. Impeach. Impeach.Impeach. Impeach. Impeach. Impeach.Impeach. Impeach. Impeach. Impeach.Impeach. Impeach. Impeach. Impeach.Impeach. Impeach. Impeach. Impeach.Impeach. Impeach. Impeach. Impeach.Impeach. Impeach. Impeach. Impeach.Impeach. Impeach. Impeach. Impeach.Impeach. Impeach. Impeach. Impeach.

Pence, Pence, Pence, Pence, Pence, Pence…

“As long as the GOP controls the US Senate, attempting to impeach Trump will be a wheel spinning exercise at best that will likely strengthen the GOP when the Senate kills the impeachment.”

I’m not sure I agree with this. I believe if the citizens were exposed to all that Trump has done since the beginning of his presidency, it would hurt the gop in 2020. The general public doesn’t have a clue how bad it really is, thinking they are informed by the MSM (and trying to scratch out a living). The last poll (I know, polls aren’t as reliable as they used to be) I saw 37% were in favor of impeachment, as the crimes are made public that # is bound to go up. If I remember correctly, when Nixon’s impeachment started only 19% favored it, topping out at 61% by the end. I agree he will never be removed by this Senate, and none of this will move is base voters, but the proceedings could do some real damage to the grand old party for protecting him. And as Reich points out it is their duty to do it.
If by chance he were removed, Pence would be hemmed in, knowing if he screws up, he’s next.
The big if, in my mind is if proceedings were to go forward, will be the dems honestly do their jobs, or screw it up, if it’s the latter, then I agree with you’re assessment.
Just a thought.

2 Likes

I listened to the hearing the other day and thought they did a good job despite the media’s focus on optics. Now it appears Nadler, who has been arguing for impeachment since spring, is stepping things up. I think your point about protecting a criminal is right—let the GOP defend him and answer for it, don’t be a backhanded party to Trump’s behavior.

Agree, Nadler has been ready to go for a while, at times he seems almost irritated at Pelosi’s reluctance. There might be something I’m missing, but unless the proceedings are botched in some way, I can’t see this going south for the Dem party. The other benefit is, it could keep the administration tied up, providing less harm to the public and government institutions while it’s going on. The big question is how does Nadler get the votes to proceed?

1 Like

Absolutely. I think Nadler has been irritated with his slow-walking colleagues in leadership for a while. Who can blame him? He sees what lots of people see—corruption unlike we’ve seen in this country since Harding, and Harding wasn’t the asshole Trump is. Politico reported he had words with Pelosi a month or so ago, though they patched things up.

My feeling is it’s time to get out of the defensive crouch, to at least get Trump’s behavior on record in the House. There’s political risk to it, but there’s risk in not doing it too.

After reading Secretary Reich’s article about impeaching Trump, I must say that I completely agree with everything he mentioned. His comments regarding the Constitution and the separation of powers were clearly outlined in language that anyone could understand, and he moved beyond political expediency to make the case for impeachment as the morally RIGHT thing to do.
Trump wants to govern the United States like the dictators he fondly admires, and has declared that he can do anything he wants to do as president without any respect or acknowledgement of the legislative and judicial branches of government.
It should be obvious to anyone who has followed up on Trump’s time in office that he has violated his oath to protect and defend the Constitution. He has obstructed justice and has used his office as a financial catalyst for himself and his family members.
It’s time for Congress to begin an impeachment inquiry and hold this president accountable for his horrific assault on our democracy.

1 Like

Great post. Trump is our ugly baby, birthed by our culture and political system. It is as important for us to change these as it is to remove Trump. Lesser evilism will once again be used to stampede us into voting for a Biden or a Harris who will perpetuate the domination of the oligarchy, wall street and the military. If you haven’t already, there is a petition on this topic for you to read, share, and if you agree, to sign. Its on change org: here > http://chng.it/qGfJRXVpRs

This petition on change org advances views that are very similar to your own–pls take a look and sign if you agree w its premises. > http://chng.it/qGfJRXVpRs

I have this sinking feeling that it is too late.

Reading this recently released book - so maybe I’m just caught up in the moment, but I don’t really think so.

How to Lose a Country: The 7 Steps from Democracy to Dictatorship by Ece Temelkuran

This autocratic form of government is now a worldwide phenomena - the chickens really appear to have come home to roost.

Reminds me of Star Wars actually, where we are now.

Exactly. It’s the right thing to do. Prove actions have consequences.