Home | About | Donate

Why Is Bank of America Still Open to Funding the Destruction of Our Homelands in the Arctic?

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/09/21/why-bank-america-still-open-funding-destruction-our-homelands-arctic

Here’s the deal. Time to bring the nastiness of colonial exploitation home to the banksters. Bound to be something worth exploiting on their property, even if it’s only a gravel pit. Declare it as a resource vital to national security and then, dig, baby, dig. Or drill, or mine. Let them see their nicely landscaped lawns ruined, their water polluted.
NIMBY has ruled for too long in the fantasy world of the Rich. Time to break that Matrix, too! I stand in solidarity with my Indigenous brothers and sisters because I’ve seen the results of resource exploitation. Just over a hundred years ago, it was discovered that my area of rural northwestern Ohio had limestone so pure it could be used as filler for pharmacuticals. Large open pit quarries scarred the landscape, ruining prime forests and fertile land and polluting the groundwater. The tailings leached more poisons into the ground along with being eyesores. Our little village had three of these monsters, but people didn’t care because it provided good paying jobs for farmers who needed the income. The boom lasted only 60 years. At first local people owned the factories. Then Pfizer swooped in and bought it all in the 70’s. They took and took as fast as possible, then, when they reached lower quality stone, shut it all down in the early 80’s. The other large quarries in Woodville, Genoa, and Millersville are pretty well played out. Again, owned by Pfizer.
If you send a drone over that area and see these open wounds in the skin of Gaia, without ANY effort to clean any of it up, from the tailings to the toxic water collected in the quarries, you’ll feel both sadness and anger. The Seneca and Miami tribes who lived there before us…their spirits are enraged, too.
You want to drill baby drill? Good, we’ll send our own geologists to your properties and see what we can find. Maybe even fracking that will poison your water. And no more protecting the watershed of NYC. Let them suffer what the rest of us have had to suffer to produce their obscene wealth.
Hoka Hay!

3 Likes

Bernadette Demientieff is the Executive Director of the Gwich’in Steering Committee.

Excellent article by Bernadette Demientieff who is related to my spouse whose Mother’s maiden name was Demientieff. Thanks Bernadette. Shanti.

2 Likes

Enjoyed reading your well written post. 10 likes!

2 Likes

Bank of America needs to back away from loaning any money or making money in this venture. I have read numerous articles including, articles prepared by those studying the impact of drilling. They clearly stated that it would be negative and the intrusion was NOT wanted. It would change lives, end lives, destroy lives, end species, damage the land beyond repair and change it into something they hoped it would never become. Scientists we forced to change their reports. Geologists were forced to change their reports. Alaska will be changed for the worst forever. Please rebuff any offers to participate.

2 Likes

After the Exxon Vadez debacle the EPA contacted our research group in groundwater contamination to see if we might be able to assist in understanding how to mitigate beach contamination (there was no beach expertise at the time). We had a good working relationship with the EPA and happily complied and it bore many an interesting project, however it also taught us just how difficult it is to remediate petroleum contamination in an environment subject to tidal and wave activity. I’ll spare you the details. No doubt there is a dearth of expertise on how to remediate arctic environments and the industry mentality is surely “out of sight out of mind”. Pacha Mama deserves more. The authors are to be applauded for doing their part. Here is to the good fight.

1 Like

Dear Bank of America:
YOU should immediately change your name to Bank of Columbus, and do that right now!
I suppose that you are wondering WHY. You like TRUMP also seem to have no idea about real history. Oh and read Howard Zinn and “The PEOPLEs history of the United States.” The murdering of native people began right there, with Columbus. AND, because it began there, it didn’t stop there. It continues today, so all kinds of people want to know, WHY are you still funding the destruction of Native people and the environment?
You know, a man named AP Giannani started that bank and when San Francisco had it’s giant earthquake and the city was a burning mass of buildings and dead bodies----that Mr. Giannani open up his bank and helped citizens recover. O.K It was called the Bank of Italy, which became the Bank of America----------but Mr Giannani appears to be more AMERICAN than you are—
WHY? Because he helped people and he helped a city and he made an impression on people because of his positive actions—that he is a part of San Francisco history! I think you, B of A moved to the east Coast where all the other killer banks are headquartered.
YOU, B of A don’t seem interested in much but profit—and ruining land and displacing and injuring native people is NOT and any sane business’s job description. If you cannot recognize the danger you are putting the native people and all of us in America in----------
perhaps you need to go into an area where you could make more money-----what with covid killing 200,000–so far----maybe the mortuary business should be your next pick for big money–and customers who are dead and can’t complain----you are truly killing customers and the environment--------and I urge everyone who banks to pass you by—and maybe just maybe—finally Native People and the Environment will finally be able to live in an America that truly works for the good of all!

1 Like