Home | About | Donate

Why Is Trump So Enthusiastic About Americans Dying?

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/06/25/why-trump-so-enthusiastic-about-americans-dying

1 Like

We must stop with the focus on Trump. I don’t care why he does this. I only care about moving toward a culture/society with a core based on compassion and empathy. He will never have those traits nor will those that support him. They must be removed from positions of power.

If people in abusive relationships only focus on “why is he beating me?” the cycle will continue because it implies that if you figure out why he is beating you, you can stop it and all will be well.

You can’t stop sociopaths, malignant narcissists and psychopaths from these behaviors. You can’t change a system of power based on greed and cruelty-----you must remove it.

“I used to think that top environmental problems were biodiversity loss, ecosystem collapse and climate change. I thought that thirty years of good science could address these problems. I was wrong. The top environmental problems are selfishness, greed and apathy, and to deal with these we need a cultural and spiritual transformation.”—Gus Speth

32 Likes

Well said.
The problem with the “yes we can” was most people had no clue what they were agreeing to doing! Sickening to recall those “hope” pictures of Obama.

And this is sickening too: (it’s an excellent article, imo)
Trump trip to Rushmore, with fighter jets and fireworks, draws criticism** h-ttps://www.tampabay.com/news/nation-world/2020/06/25/trump-trip-to-rushmore-with-fighter-jets-and-fireworks-draws-criticism/

9 Likes

This issue is not a Trump problem,it has been brewing since Trump was figuring out how to cheat his way through first grade.

Subsequent to Goebbels’ pivotal modern propaganda play book, fascists around the world have refined his work. During the 1950s Robert Taft, the Dulles brothers, and Joseph McCarthy put Goebbels’ play book front and center as the GOP’s operating manual. Democrats pushed back on that culture until they formed the Democratic Leadership Council (DLC) in 1985 at which point they became enablers.

The GOP’s ultimate goal is turning the US into a neofeudal paradise for the 1% (a neofeudal hell for the 99%) wherein the 1% own everything, the 99% own nothing. Slavery requires the 1% spend money buying, feeding, housing, clothing, and otherwise accomodating slaves. They have incentive to not only keep slaves alive, but also keep them healthy. Serfs in a neofeudal system require no investment and no incentive exists for keeping serfs alive or healthy.

Exploiting the COVID-19 pandemic is providing the GOP a major leap forward to achieving their neofeudal paradise.

13 Likes

Caroline, I’d give you a thousand hearts for your post if I could.

10 Likes

Recall that during the Obama regime we learned that “hope” plus two bucks buys a cup of coffee (three bucks during the Trump regime), while “change” is what you put in the barista’s tip jar so you get good service the next time you order coffee.

9 Likes

Good one! Had not heard that before . . . is that yours?
I can always count on experiencing a full range of emotions here at CD’s including laughter over the absurdity of our predicament thanks to the wit of the commenters!

3 Likes

Thanks Caroline, Harry_Pjotr, Ray and all of you. Of course, we should not be talking shallow but talking deep. Trump and party politics is shallow. Human propensities – fear, zero-sum thinking, greed, thinking “fast” rather than thinking “slow” (in Daniel Kahnemann’s terminology), status anxiety – those are the deep problems.

Every time Common Dreams publishes a lightweight like Thom Hartmann (or Michael Winship, or Frances Moore Lappe, or Randall Amster – and I could go on and on), they fragment the “discussion commons” here on CD. It would be a lot more useful for us to all converse about somewhat fewer topics than to have the excessively scattershot approach that characterizes this website.

7 Likes

One difference between Republican and Democratic Parties may define the Republican as a “Death Cult” and Democratic as a “Protection Racket.” Republicans will harm anyone who gets in their way. Democrats will protect those who can pay. My experience in politics revealed State and municipal
DOTs and Transit agencies acting on behalf of automobile-related business interests.
The “trickle-down” theory of economics remains standard practice.

3 Likes

Anyone who cares about life would do well to read the primary sources of the architects of the Right Wing. They want it all, with just enough people left to provide all that they need. Since humans breed enthusiastically, the Owners can dispose of labor if they become infirm.
And, for non-primary sources that will scare the bejesus out of you, please read Democracy in Chains by Nancy McLean, American Exceptionalism and American Innocence by Roberto Sirvent and Danny Haiphong, The Sociopath Next Door by Dr. Martha Stout, Conservatives without conscience by John Dean and, for a bit of a contrast, White Trash by Nancy Isenberg. And the chapters in the DSM 5 detailing the various and sundry nasty traits of these people. You don’t have to be one of the 1% to happily vote for one of them.

10 Likes

I take umbridge with calling Thom Hartmann a lightweight ,have you read his book …The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight.That one book alone contains so much information on how we can save our species and ways we are destroying ourselves .
If every child in high school had access to this book when it was written we wouldn’t be where we are.
There are not many elders in our society as wise and knowledgeable as Thom.
He rocks .
The problem is not Donald Trump and the rest of the sociopaths they are symptoms of a culture in demise.
The Culture from which we emerge is causing the demise of the culture.
The real problem is our Cultural Stories are lived as reality when they are myths and fallacies .
Nothing changes because the stories just get passed down through the generations for millennia this has been the case ,they never get challenged this we believe is how life is .Nothing could be further from the truth.
“No one does anything wrong given their model of the world .”
Be it Trump ,Hitler ,any of the characters in History the problem is we think we are actually separate from each other .

11 Likes

Democrats are pretty damn good at removal too and harming those that get in the way. We could find many examples of this I’m sure.

One current example (besides the dems efficient removal of Bernie from presidential contention) is Tara Reade.
If her allegations about Biden are true, the dems were VERY good at harming her by smearing her, basically dismissing her and as such neutralizing the threat she posed (albeit briefly).

I miss Paul Wellstone . … would this cruel ,oligarchic duopoly be different today if he had lived?

From 20(?) years ago:
“I don’t represent the big oil companies, the big pharmaceuticals, or the big insurance industry. They already have great representation in Washington. It’s the rest of the people that need representation.”

And tying into the Gus Speth quote in my post above, Paul Wellstone speaks to empathy here:

“A politics that is not sensitive to the concerns and circumstances of people’s lives, a politics that does not speak to and include people, is an intellectually arrogant politics that deserves to fail.”

“We all do better, when we all do better.”

6 Likes

I find the title and some of the article playing into the hands of those that simply focus on trump as the problem. Calling trump names, creating memes, ranting about him is easier than getting to the root of the problem which you articulate very well (see the Gus Speth quote in my post above).

I assume Thom gets that but I feel for someone with his reach he needs to be very clear with his words so that it does not perpetuate this belief that if we figure out what makes trump tick or keep asking why he does these horrific things it will then be ok.

How about a different title . . . “How to break free from an ecocidal/omnicidal culture that placed Trump at the helm”?

I hope you get my drift . . . rather hasty in this reply due to time constraints

7 Likes

Interesting to read the various takes on Hartmann’s article. For myself, though, the question, apart however important it is, is not so difficult to answer. It gets down to what appears to be the basic fact that people do evil for the pleasure it gives. Trump kills people for the same reason people eat lots of chocolate.

In his Pulitzer Prize-winning work The Denial of Death (1973), Ernest Becker writes that Aristotle says “somewhere” that luck is when the arrow hits the guy next to you. The pleasure it gives is in the comparison: I am alive and he is dead. So, what if you can make the arrow hit the guy next to you? and then make lots of arrows hit more and more? I am alive and they are dead. I am so much more alive because so many more are dead. And after all the Second Amendment lets me do whatever I want.

Trump kills because he gets off on it. That simple.

5 Likes

Exactly - the patriarchal death cult dissected.

“Americans—and the world—deserve answers.”

Americans – and the world – deserve way more than that.

2 Likes

“Why Is Trump So Enthusiastic About Americans Dying?”

How about simple NAZIsm? The SARS-2 virus is killing primarily old people, sick people, and people of color - “undesirables” in NAZI ideology.

5 Likes

And unfortunately in this household both parents (i.e. both parties) are alcoholic abusers who try to convince us that they are not as bad as the other one. We need to go into some sort of foster care, because even if we love our parents one cannot live healthily in such a situation.

1 Like

Your spot on ,it’s a Spiritual crises of the first order.
Thom knows this ,he wants folks to dig deeper do some critical thinking .

Our politics is our spirituality demonstrated ,this is where the work must be done.

2 Likes

You should recall that candidate Trump said, “I could go and shoot someone on 5th avenue and still be voted for.” (not exact quote)

So he stated that he was fine with the unnecessary death of an innocent person.

During a major spike in covid19 deaths, he simply said during a press briefing that “there will be death.” In other words, he did not really want to take measures to prevent these deaths.

Is this the pro-life party speaking? Yes.

3 Likes