Home | About | Donate

Why It Takes Pressure and Rabble-Rousing From Workers to Retire With Economic Security

Why It Takes Pressure and Rabble-Rousing From Workers to Retire With Economic Security

Leo Gerard

Standing out among the baldpates and gray hairs crowding into a congressional hearing room Thursday morning with “Protect our Pensions” stickers will be 26-year-old Ben Trusnik.

0 Likes

Outlaw Corporate Executive parachutes and pensions before workers pensions are affected.

Make the mighty feel the pinch first.

3 Likes

Back in the 50’s & 60’s “most” companies had some kind of pension plan for their employees (and free health insurance by the way). Now, “most” companies DON’T have a pension plan (and a lot don’t offer ANY health insurance plans). The 401K law implemented in the 80’s I believe takes the place of the previous paltry pension plans. Making either the min wage or say 12-15 dollars/hr most employees can’t afford to contribute anything to a 401k. S/S alone does not cover the costs to live today for elder retired people, unless like a lot of “couples” both are collecting S/S like my wife and I. Together we make a little over 31k per yr on both of our SS incomes. Now, I am one of the lucky ones as I also have a modest pension from my over 30 yrs in the Teamsters union. Both my wife and I are lower middle class people that never made over 40k per yr when we retired in 2001. The BIGGEST boost to decrease inequality in this country isn’t just increasing the min wage (we must do that) but making it easier to join and form a Union.

2 Likes

Good for you for being in unions! Union all the way. This Janus should be running for the hills with the pitch forks following him.

1 Like

Right. You know those CEOs always get their pensions, perks and profits!

2 Likes

Companies that pay $7.25 minimum wage are depending on taxpayers to pay for food, lodging and healthcare – in the form of food stamps, subsidized housing and Medicaid – for their workers.
I don’t want to subsidize WalMart and McDonald’s executives and stock holders. They should be forced to pay a living wage and provides defined benefit pensions and decent health insurance!

0 Likes

Fortunately for his co-workers, Janus quit his job. Unfortunately for the rest of us, he is bankrolled now by right-wingers and union busting organizations. He goes around the country telling people they should vote out their unions and stand isolated and alone as they ask gigantic multi-national corporations for raises and better benefits.

0 Likes

A brand new Parody from Don Caron…Enjoy

1 Like

And, being easier to form and/or join a union will force them to do that. Ever since Taft/Hartley in 1948 there has been a war on working families by big business and their political allies.

2 Likes

Yes, fortunately for his co workers indeed. What a dope- hope he remains paranoid and senile for the rest of his “life.” He goes around with this because he believes unions support abortions and he is a fundie. He is truly off his rocking chair.

1 Like

Thank you, PonyBoy!

2 Likes

Hope you enjoyed it Stack.

0 Likes