Home | About | Donate

Why Looking for the “Winning Issue” Is a Losing Proposition

Why Looking for the “Winning Issue” Is a Losing Proposition

John Atcheson

There’s been a spate of articles and pronouncements from the usual suspects speculating on what the winning issue might be for Democrats.

“A new day is dawning, with grass roots progressives running and winning across the land; with Sanders and Ocasio-Cortez doing sold out events in red-red-red Kansas; with centrists like Diane Feinstein and Crowley getting shoved aside by voters. But with climate change, control of the courts, and state redistricting on the line, time is not on our side, and a “winning issue” won’t save us.”

Bernie, your passion and steadfast wisdom nourishes us.

Alexandra, there is beauty and hope in your youth.

Dream the dreams: COMMON DREAMS.

I wish I was as optimistic as Mr. Atcheson. Yes progressives have had a few wins recently, but time is short, and with 250 Dems meeting in Ohio to subvert the progressive message, our future does not look bright.

Yeah, nice try, but we’ve seen this movie before.

It ends with catfood commissions giving bipartisan cover for cutting into the safety net.

Plot twists include welfare reform, locking lots of people up, RomneyCare, austerity, and dropping many bombs.

So I won’t be voting for Brand D. Again.

Looking for the winning issue is as simple as looking at public opinion polls.
Over 80% of the public does not support the surveillance state.
Over 60% of the public supports medicare for all.
Over 80% want an end to foreign wars of aggression.

A recent Pew survey of the American people’s political priorities found that bad leadership was the number one issue. By way of comparison US-Russia relations was so statistically unimportant it registered no score.

Thanks, Nick. Numbers talk. Your numbers are screaming. Are they listening?