Home | About | Donate

Why Taking Responsibility for Our Carbon Emissions Means Promoting the Right to Repair

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/10/20/why-taking-responsibility-our-carbon-emissions-means-promoting-right-repair

‘Spaceship Earth’ has arrived. We either conserve and not waste and protect not destroy or we fast run out of everything. That with 8 billion of us using as much as we can for as long as we can… we have reached our limits in just about everything just about everywhere! That we live in a limited environment is a concept that primate humanity is loathe to admit. Apes in the forest eat all the ripe fruit in one area and then they move on to the next feeding ground and then the next and so on. There are only a few apes but a hell of a lot of us! We can’t even throw things away without thinking about where the garbage of 8 billion should go. We waste because that used to be the most profitable way of doing things. Apes taking a bite from one piece of fruit and then carelessly throwing it away when they get distracted by another piece of fruit nearby and reach for that one.

It’s new and improved original formula! Convenient personal size and disposable! The reality though is a high carbon atmosphere and a denuded biosphere where millions of nearly extinct species once roamed. We have grown so used to knowing that so many species now have a total population in the thousands and less. Our oceans too are dying and our system of unsustainability goes on and on without check.

Earth because of our greed and waste seems doomed to be less our spaceship and more our coffin if we don’t stop acting like there will always be more and more without limit. Even though we yet gorge and feast with reckless abandon, we can see up ahead that very soon that there will be only one piece of fruit left and we have yet to learn how to share.

2 Likes

Yes everything must be made to very high spec ifications and shared between people.
A Use and Access economic model where people get to Use the stuff of life without necessarily having to own their own personal copy of everything like we are taught to in Western society’s.
This is absurd .
Take the humble toaster, we all have them but we don’t use them every day or when we do use them only for few minutes .
The same with hoover’s, lawn-mowers ,washing machines, cars you get the picture .We are spending alot of money in owning our own personal copy if everything. If we cooperated into a sharing the stuff of life ,these things could cost us a lot less .
We could share these

The way things are deliberately designed to be unreparable is a crime. In the old days, an electronic appliance always came with a scematic diagram of its circuits. Nowadays, even trying to repair something the mmanufacturer intended you to throw away can get you accused of “violating their ‘intellectual property’ rights”.

Car repair is getting impossible too. It is all software driven - and even though you own the car, the means to repair is the company’s “intellectual property.”

1 Like

Wait I’m supposed to share a toaster with my neighbors? That works on the wing of a dorm in a shared kitchen and definitely not for most adults. Sharing specialized tools or easier and cheaper renting options is another matter - I’m all for that.

Absolutely agreed. The bottom line is we need more democracy in our goods manufacturing. We need more people to see that regulations are a good thing if they are made to help the consumer and not fall for anti regulation Republican BS.

In addition to mandating repairability and more interchangable and standardized parts (I still can’t believe the hose that attaches a shower head to the wall isn’t standard - I’ve got on overpriced broken hose from Hans Grohe and the standard hose doesn’t fit), I want to see uniform boring packaging and all plastic that touches the food stream to move away from being recyclable to being compostable in industrial facilities (with a healthy amount of food contamination being tolerated - washing plastic stuff is a waste of time and water). I’m sure there are thousands of things that we could decide we want but companies would never choose to do on their own.

The author did say this: our answer is clear. The global system of production, consumption and disposal will radically change. Because it must.
So Capitalism is challenged in the article, although not very directly.

Peace.
ths.

Hey you can share what you want it’s not a must !
It’s only an example ,folks in not so well off countries would love the Use of things we take for granted .
But it’s not about telling people what to do.
It’s not do as I say but follow me ,I’ll go first lead by example .
The sharing economy has not been widely taught .

1 Like