Home | About | Donate

Why the NCAA Should Move the Final Four Out of Indiana

Why the NCAA Should Move the Final Four Out of Indiana

Dave Zirin

As the world now knows, Indiana has become synonymous with the kinds of backward looking bigotry best remaindered in history’s trashcan. The state’s Governor Mike Pence has signed legislation under the guise of “religious freedom” that gives businesses the right to not serve someone if they believe them to be part of the LGBT community. The looseness of this law is frightening. Could a pharmacist refuse someone their HIV medication if they assumed they must have gotten the virus through gay relations?

The state’s Governor Mike Pence has signed legislation under the guise of “religious freedom” that gives businesses the right to not serve someone if they believe them to be part of the LGBT community.

Actually, it gives businesses - more accurately, the employees of businesses - the right to discriminate against anyone for any reason. Because the law sets no parameters on the concept of "religious beliefs," basically anyone can be refused services with no accountability on the part of the denier.

mcp

An organized boycott of the products of the corporate sponsors of this event may also help.

mcp

Again the "S" word -- should. I absolutely agree that they Should. It's one of a long list of things things I think those with money and connections and collections "should" do. But if you tell them they "should" do or not do something, it makes them stubborn. I get that. I don't like being told what I "should" (or shouldn't) do.

Unless there is some leverage to motivate them (and I'm at a loss to think what that might be) there is very little chance that They will do as they "S" word,

While I completely agree with Dave's article, I do not think it is realistic at this late date. But I would love to see a recall of this bigoted, Governor from office!

And, yup, there is the NCAA itself under current leadership. A scathing take-down by John Oliver

"To every problem there is a solution that is neat, simple, and wrong"
HL Mencken
If this type of discrimination really exists in Indiana as a result of this law, then Dave should roll up his sleeves and go out and document its widespread indulgence by those who run businesses in the Hoosier state.
This could mean a Pulitzer prize if done right. But no, it is much easier to fulminate over a problem that in reality does not exist in Indiana. Like Karl Rove's famous wedge issues, ol' Dave has been punked again by this act of desperation by a do-nothing governor and /or legislature to distract public attention from more urgent matters to which they should be attending.
We have a country in endless war, an environment increasingly polluted to toxic intolerance, the choice of either yet another Bush or yet another Clinton for the presidency of the land and now we get to read about this. Pardon my yawn.

Great article from the best sports writer in the biz.
You hit one of my pet peeves however Dave. "Fulsome praise" actually means "insincere or offensively excessive" praise, not what he meant at all. Use your dictionary!

Will Pence foul out

Or will Emmert cop out?

Take the points on this bet.

I suspect that there are a huge number of contracts involved that would then have to be negotiated in a new location. It just ain't gonna happen!

Thanks, i have never been aware of the divergent meanings of the word fulsome. But i always took it as a simple positive.

According to Webster's, it can be taken both ways, and the positive connotation has become more common over the past century. The meaning of the word changing over time, basically by people misusing it, and that use becoming the norm.

The article says one should be very careful with the word, and try to make clear in context if it is meant simply as "abundant," as "exceeding the bounds of good taste," or as "excessively complimentary or flattering."

Apparently its original meaning was more along the lines of "offensive," but that is the least common usage now. According to the dictionary...